Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE TO ADD: Thanks for all the advice and support, folks! Stephanie has been working steadily as a cover designer for months now and is loving it. If you are interested in her services, please contact her through her website or email address -- http://www.mooneydesigns.net or [email protected] -- but NOT through KB, as she does not check here regularly. Thanks!!

----------------------------

Hey all,

I have a very talented friend who is interested in designing book covers for indie authors. But she's not sure how to start getting clients. Any tips? I'm going to point her to KB, of course, but as authors, how would you like to be connected to a cover designer? Would you want a cold email? Or should she start a thread? Any tips/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristan

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I should add: She's a writer herself, so she definitely understands our world. :)

Wow, thanks for all the responses and interest already!! I literally just mentioned this to her last night, and emailed her like 20 min ago about KB, so I imagine she'll start poking around soon. For now I'll continue to be her spokesperson, lol.

She recently started a blog -- http://stephaniemooney.blogspot.com/ -- and in her Flickr photostream, I found a DVD cover she did:

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Maria. I'll definitely pass your info to her! Especially since she's new, I'm certain she'll be charging competitive rates.

Stephanie IS reading this thread, and she's probably going to register for KB, but she's never been part of a forum like this before, so she may not start her own thread for a little while. Gotta get a feel for the rules and etiquette, do up some sample covers, etc.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I hadn't thought about using her (future) thread here as a showcase, but that's a great idea. Gets exposure for her AND for the books she works on.

It sounds like people do not want to be approached by designers, though. Am I right? Instead, she should set up a web presence (or several linked ones, really) where she can showcase her work and then be easily contacted.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stephanie has now registered for KB but is still getting the lay of the land. In the meantime, she has gotten 2 requests for cover designs already (including one trilogy), so thanks so much for y'all's help and support!

Here's her new design page with sample covers and easy contact form: http://stephaniemooney.blogspot.com/p/design.html

And just for fun, here's a painting she just did for a friend of ours that is moving away:

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the kind words, y'all! (It's probably easier for me to accept them than Steph, lol. She's a big blusher.)

@Jim-
I've been a KB member for a couple years now, and I didn't know about the Yellow Pages! Thanks for the tips.

ETA: Wait, lol, where are the Yellow Pages? Or am I misunderstanding?

@Meb-
Lol. I hope she doesn't charge too much! ;P

@Sophrosyne-
I think her process depends on the project. I know she starts with stock photography for most covers, and then customizes it, but I'm sure she would be open to doing original art as well. It just might be a slight up-charge for the extra time involved. In either case, the author does not have to supply the art -- Stephanie will find images based on the story and the author's input.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ShaunaG said:
I emailed her but never heard back, must be too busy. Too bad. :-\
No, that doesn't sound right at all! She must have missed it somehow. I'll message her and let her know.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
ShaunaG-
She said she replied to your email twice. Did you check your spam filter? Sounds like the email services are not playing nicely together. :(

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Great! I'm so glad y'all were finally able to connect. :)

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Since I just did a guest post on book covers (as part of a month-long "Indie Author Bash" at the blog All Things Books), I was looking through Stephanie's covers. She's got some new ones that I really love:

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Whoops, haven't posted here in a while, but Steph has been doing some awesome design work, both on covers and websites. Here's the cover she just did for my boyfriend's book, which we are re-issuing in print soon and have newly digitized, along with another cover and a website:

Steph also has a new site/url just for her design work coming soon, but for now you can find her at http://www.stephaniemooney.net/p/design.html.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey folks, I just wanted to update this thread with Steph's contact info since she doesn't check KB regularly but I know a lot of you are interested in her work.

url: http://www.mooneydesigns.net
email: [email protected]

If you're trying to get in touch with her, please do not Private Message her via KindleBoards.

Thanks so much!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.