Kindle Forum banner

Stephanie Plum Series = Weight Gain?

48K views 254 replies 40 participants last post by  drenee 
#1 ·
Ok I seriously believe I eat more when I read a Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series) Book!

I find myself getting chips,pizza,cheese puff cheetos etc. I think Stephanie Plum is a bad influence because she doesn't gain any weight from her tasty cakes or cluck in a bucket drive thru's BUT I DO!!! lol

So I Blame Stephanie Plum! I think she is making me fat!! lol

So Does anyone else find themselves wanting certain junk foods when reading these books!!

#2 ·
I can't say that reading Plum is making me gain weight.  I think it is sitting here w/laptop AND too much reading that is doing it.  I'll think of you when I get back to the Plum series, though!  You've probably planted a seed in my brain to start salivating when she mentions eating at her mother's, or her junk food.  :D

Kathy

#4 ·
Just finished reading #13. It's those Tastykakes that do it. Fortunately, I know that Tastykakes are not nearly as good as they were 40 years ago, so I can resist.

Just think of Lula. Steph and Lula eat together, and Lula is a "full-figured woman." ;D

Here's my pick for Lula if they ever make a movie. Mo'nique. Think of this when you want a Cluck-in-a-Bucket.

#8 ·
Absolutely!!  I always want to eat when/what Stephanie and Lula do!!  Grandma Mazur even makes the cookies at the funeral home sound wonderful!  :D    And Mo'nique is so Lula!!!!!!

#10 ·
mmmmmmm donuts!!

I used to be able to eat the way she does but now I gain weight just reading about it lol.  I always start to crave fried chicken and donuts when I read Stephanie Plum and wish for the days I could eat anything!!

theresam

#11 ·
bkworm8it said:
mmmmmmm donuts!!

I used to be able to eat the way she does but now I gain weight just reading about it lol. I always start to crave fried chicken and donuts when I read Stephanie Plum and wish for the days I could eat anything!!

theresam
Me, too. The auto-weight gain hit me at about age 36. Now my chicken is boneless, skinless and definitely not fried. I have a donut the day after I get my cholesterol results, and that's only if the results are good. The only cookies I eat are the Hollywood Diet Smart Cookies. Definitely not the macadamia nut white chocolate chip cookies at Stiva's. Then again, I don't have to go to a funeral to get them. :D

#12 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Me, too. The auto-weight gain hit me at about age 36. Now my chicken is boneless, skinless and definitely not fried. I have a donut the day after I get my cholesterol results, and that's only if the results are good. The only cookies I eat are the Hollywood Diet Smart Cookies. Definitely not the macadamia nut white chocolate chip cookies at Stiva's. Then again, I don't have to go to a funeral to get them. :D
LOL, I that's why I stopped eating chicken. Just not the same. My biggest downfall now is peanut butter cookies. It used to be chocolate, donuts, and pasta but I've been diagnosed with bad dairy and chicken egg allergy that I had to give up a ton of favorit foods. You'd think that would help reduce my caloric intake. Nope not one bit. Learned how to make peanut butter cookies with soy and duck eggs and did you know that Oreo cookies are dairy free :eek:!!!! Haven't been able to find a donut I can eat so I break down every now and then expecailly when reading Stephanie eating donuts or tasty cakes.

theresam

#13 ·
Okay, I can totally relate to the age/weight gain correlation and it's cholesterol lowering time for me too.  I used to eat 4 pieces of pizza.... now I have one... and it's "healthier pizza" like Papa Murphy's vegetarian instead of the Meat Lovers Super Special Deluxe Supreme with extra cheese.
    But, being a midwest gal....  I need someone to explain tasty cakes to me.... I have always wondered what they are while reading our Miss Stephanie. 

#14 ·
katbird1 said:
Oh, koolmnvb, I have to tell you that I love your little doggie's face. We were grooming our lhasa yesterday and I wanted to do her face like your little one, but I ended up taking too much off, so it isn't quite as cute as yours.

Kathy
Thank you so much! I love him and his little face! We have went to the same groomers for the past 4 years with him and they always cut his face the same exact way, thanks for your comps and I'd love to see a pic of your lhasa!

#15 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Just finished reading #13. It's those Tastykakes that do it. Fortunately, I know that Tastykakes are not nearly as good as they were 40 years ago, so I can resist.

Just think of Lula. Steph and Lula eat together, and Lula is a "full-figured woman." ;D

Here's my pick for Lula if they ever make a movie. Mo'nique. Think of this when you want a Cluck-in-a-Bucket.

That is EXACTLY how I picture Lula also!! Monique is completely Lula! LOL

#16 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
But, being a midwest gal.... I need someone to explain tasty cakes to me.... I have always wondered what they are while reading our Miss Stephanie.
I have never read Miss Stephanie and now I don't think I will if she encourages weight gain - LOL! But I do know what Tasteycakes are. They are a lot like Hostess Snack cakes only it seems like there were more varieties and I liked them better. I haven't lived near Tastycakes in over 20 years so they may not be as good now, but YUM 20 years ago.

#17 ·
KindleMom said:
I have never read Miss Stephanie and now I don't think I will if she encourages weight gain - LOL! But I do know what Tasteycakes are. They are a lot like Hostess Snack cakes only it seems like there were more varieties and I liked them better. I haven't lived near Tastycakes in over 20 years so they may not be as good now, but YUM 20 years ago.
I think tasty cakes are still pretty good! I don't get them very often because of where I live but when I do they always taste pretty YUM to me!

Also I definitely think you should read this series it is so good and funny, but it makes you practice ALOT of self control! lol

#18 ·
I'm so glad we're not the only crazy ones!  A group of us (hmm, like 14 or so) did a girls night out a couple years ago, shortly after one of the new Evanovich books was released.  We spent pretty much the entire evening "casting" a movie based on her books.  I can't even remember who all we ended up with, but we had a great time - and Mo'nique is a perfect choice!

#23 ·
marianner said:
You can get TastyKakes on amazon...
The quality has gone way down in the last 20 years. I haven't even seen creamies anywhere (chocolate lady fingers with a cream center). The chocolate cupcakes used to be so good, one bite and you would have to drink at least half a glass of ice cold milk.

It's just as well. If they were still so good, I would weigh about 300 lbs.

#25 ·
Mo'nique is a good choice for Lula, although I'd always pictured Queen Latifah. I thought Sandra Bullock would be a perfect Stephanie, as well as Betty White for Grandma Mazur, Doris Roberts as Steph's mom, the late Peter Boyle as Steph's dad (I know...he and Doris Roberts played husband and wife on "Everybody Loves Raymond."), and either Antonio Sabato, Jr. or Benjamin Bratt (I know...NOT Italian) as Joe (my favorite), and The Rock as Ranger.  Steve Buscemi would be great as Vinny.

As for the original comment about Stephanie Plum series = weight gain, you'd think that laughing out loud so often while reading the books would be aerobic. In fact, I think they should count toward activity points on the Weight Watchers program.  ;)

#26 ·
koolmnbv said:
That is EXACTLY how I picture Lula also!! Monique is completely Lula! LOL
Mo'nique was on Oprah's show a couple of weeks ago and.....her really cute husband expressed concern about her weight one day and she has been losing weight. he was expressing concern that he didn't want to "lose" her from bad health. She was bragging on the show that she can now "cross her legs now that the are skinnier".....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.