Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Given that several members are currently reading 'Salem's Lot and many more have expressed interest in other King books, I thought it made sense to collect everyone's thoughts, opinions, questions and recommendations together in one place, rather than scattered across many threads.

If Betsy thinks this is a bad idea, I don't mind if she deletes the thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Official? OFFICIAL? How can it be Official if I didn't know anything about it! :mad: ???

Uh, OK.
;D

Betsy
Yeah, I was being a bit presumptuous there. But I was 82.671% sure you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I lived in Boston for 10 years and my husband's company had Red Sox season tickets that were right next to Stephen King's seats (He had 4...he usually brought his son, a bodyguard and one empty seat). Just a little trivia about him...he wears K-mart sneakers that are at least 10 years old (the same pair every game I saw him at), he brings a glove to try to catch the foul balls, and he reads a book between every inning. The one book I remember him reading was Memories of a Geisha (loved that book)...every game it was a different book.

Click to request on Kindle!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
In May 2006, I visited the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. The Stanley is where Stephen King decided to write The Shining and is the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel. It's also where the TV version of the book was filmed, but weirdly enough, not where the original movie was filmed. It's a very cool, very haunted hotel. I was there the same weekend that TAPS (from the SciFi channel Ghost Hunter series) was there. As a matter of fact, they were in the room next door.

My kids still talk about the ghosts I saw while I was there. (yep, I did, very cool!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
luvmy4brats said:
In May 2006, I visited the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. The Stanley is where Stephen King decided to write The Shining and is the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel. It's also where the TV version of the book was filmed, but weirdly enough, not where the original movie was filmed. It's a very cool, very haunted hotel. I was there the same weekend that TAPS (from the SciFi channel Ghost Hunter series) was there. As a matter of fact, they were in the room next door.

My kids still talk about the ghosts I saw while I was there. (yep, I did, very cool!)
The Stanley was closed when I took my New Year's trip to Boulder. But we drove up to Estes Park anyway and saw it from the highway. Gorgeous and impressive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any of you 'Salem's Lot first-timers care to share your thoughts so far? Is it living up to my hype?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Earlier, somebody recommend one of his books that wasn't the scary-gory type. I don't mind thriller, but would rather not have something that scared the bejeezus out of me. I just can't remember which one it was though.
I think that was LuckyRainbow recommending The Eyes of the Dragon
. (Not available on Kindle) It is a children's/YA book he wrote for his daughter and is much tamer than most of his stuff. It is light fantasy, with a dark, scary edge.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Don't give up on the Dark Tower series if you get frustrated by Wizards and Glass. If you've read the three preceeding it, you won't miss too much if you skip through it to books 5-7.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Teninx said:
Don't give up on the Dark Tower series if you get frustrated by Wizards and Glass. If you've read the three preceeding it, you won't miss too much if you skip through it to books 5-7.
Hrrrrmmmmm. W&G is LR's favorite in the series and probably my third favorite. I didn't realize that some found it the "weakest link." For me, that was definitely Wolves of the Callah.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Hrrrrmmmmm. W&G is LR's favorite in the series and probably my third favorite. I didn't realize that some found it the "weakest link." For me, that was definitely Wolves of the Callah.
After waiting about five years to discover how the ka-tet defeated Blaine, I was too impatient for the journey to continue. I wasn't interested in the history of the Gunslinger, I just wanted them to move on to the Tower. Too impatient.

·
Registered
113 Posts
luvmy4brats said:

No way! I LOVE watching TAPS! That is too cool. I have only seen his house. Anytime I am in Bangor (2 hr drive from where I am in Maine) we drive by the house just to check it out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Teninx said:
Really? That was my favorite one! Lol!

I was actually pretty disappointed with the second half of the series. :(

I wonder if I like the later ones less because his writing style and ideas may have changed in the big delay between the first and second half of the series? I'm not sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Snapcat said:
Really? That was my favorite one! Lol!

I was actually pretty disappointed with the second half of the series. :(

I wonder if I like the later ones less because his writing style and ideas may have changed in the big delay between the first and second half of the series? I'm not sure.
Or, it might be because by the "climax" of DT7, the series had become
the single most epic example of literary masturbation in history.

Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Earlier, somebody recommend one of his books that wasn't the scary-gory type. I don't mind thriller, but would rather not have something that scared the bejeezus out of me. I just can't remember which one it was though.
You might like to try The Green Mile. I don't like scary/gory either and there were only a couple of gory scenes as I recall.
The underlying crime and the execution of one of the prisoners.
It was a good story and it started me reading some of King.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I recommended it in another thread and I'll recommend it again here...

For whatever reason, it's never listed among Stephen King's finest work - but it should be!

1 - 20 of 322 Posts