1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
440 Posts
I read the book and saw the first movie.

Then I tried watching the TV miniseries, and it was so scary I had to stop watching it. Wimp, much?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is great. I can't wait.

The summer I was 11 years old, we were on vacation in Illinois, visiting my grandparents. I was reading something and my uncle walks in and asks me if I like to read. I say yes. He disappears and comes back with a worn paperback copy of The Shining and hands it to me. I devoured it, and everything else King had written up to that point, including The Stand, over the course of the next 18 months.

The Stand is the book that made me want to become an author.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Really good interview!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Still the best.  Always will be the best.  The man is crack cocaine for the addicted writer and reader. 

No, wait... he's that blue meth stuff that Walter White from Breaking Bad makes for the addicted writer and reader!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
For the record, I agree completely with this point he makes:
Q: Some follow-up novels are written by others after the original author has died. It happened to Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind, and Mario Puzo's Godfather. Do you ever feel: When I'm gone, that ain't happening to me, pal?

King: I understand what you're saying, and I'm totally in agreement. There have been a lot of sequels to the Sherlock Holmes stories, there have been sequels to Dracula, there's even a movie in development called Demeter, which is about the trip Dracula takes between Transylvania and England. Now, it might make a tremendous movie, but in a lot of cases I think of those books as, 'Hey, come on! You're eating this guy's dinner! Go find your own dinner!'

·
Registered
294 Posts
King is just one of the best we've got, and he keeps growing and maturing as a writer. Like just about everybody here, I'm very much looking forward to Dr. Sleep (and to Joyland, his noir novel coming from Hard Case Crime).

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
The Shining still scares the crap out of me. It must be scary as a writer to take on the sequel to a novel that good.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
valeriec80 said:
I am soo excited about this. The Shining is my favorite King book ever. I can't wait.
Me too! I look forward to this one. Great interview with him, so interesting how he discusses how the story came to him.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I liked the Shining movie, but the ghost angle really didn't seem to fit when I first saw it. Years later I learn that it was forced by Kubrick and that King didn't want it in the film at all. I read somewhere the only films King likes as far as his books go is Creepshow and the Shawshank Redemption.

And King is right, sequels usually suck (except in pc rpgs...see my avatar).

Hope he hits it out of the ballpark.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Proof that it is never too late for a sequel. 

1 - 13 of 13 Posts