Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was at Borders yesterday and bought 5 books.  I also put books on hold at the library.  Still waiting for my kindle to get here.  I haven't bought any books for it except two free ones.  I was going to buy the new Patricia Briggs book Bone Crossed for my kindle when it comes but I put it on hold at the library instead.  Since I still don't have my kindle and with the economy the way it is I don't want a bunch of books to download on a kindle when my husband could get laid off and I would be cancelling my order for a kindle.  I hope that Amazon gets off their butts and starts sending the kindle soon.  It has been 7 weeks since I ordered and I am so tired of waiting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't been waiting as long as you have for your Kindle (it's going on 3 weeks for me) but I have the same dilemma. There are a number of books that I want to read but I have held off so far until I get my Kindle since I have some DTB backlog that I am working on right now. It would be nice to see some of the other people waiting on Kindleboards start to get theirs delivered; I hope I don't have to wait until February 27th which is the current date showing for my order.

The only good news on that front that I can find is that the wait time for new Kindle orders went down to 4-6 weeks on Amazon's website last week which would translate into the week of February 16th for delivery on new orders. Since delivery is first come first served, that (hopefully) will translate into those of us currently waiting getting our Kindles before the new orders are processed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have no DTB backlog any more.  I'm twiddling my thumbs on the reading front.  I'm about to go re-read an old DTB I've already read just to keep from going nuts.  I started to read Marley and Me and go co-opted by the kids, so we're now reading that out loud before bedtime (otherwise I'd have completed it after a few days).  The Kindle and my voracious reading habit are going to get along quite well methinks.  ;D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I no longer buy any DTBs, period. If its not out on Kindle, I don't read it. Some of my very favorite books that are not out on K will get reread, since I already own them. But no new purchases.

Steve

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have not purchased a DTB since I received my Kindle. I have not actually picked up and read a DTB since I received my Kindle. Heck, I downloaded the entire Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series in order to re-read them. Thank god Harry Potter ended when it did otherwise I might have had to buy a DTB.

I enjoy reading. How I read is less important to me. I prefer the Kindle because it is easier to hold and I can switch between books so easily. I really like that I am not spending money on gas to go to the book store. I love the fact that I don't need to worry about paper being used for my books any more. I love that I am saving resources with my Kindle. Yes it has a battery but I don't have to worry about gas for shipping, gas for getting to the book store, paper, leather, cardboard for shipping, or any of that.

It would have to be a really great book that I cannot get on my Kindle for me to read a DTB. And then I would probably just borrow it from the library.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't have my Kindle yet so I am still reading DTB's.  I am only buying the ones for the book clubs at the moment and re-reading the ones I already have.  I have alot of books on my Kindle wishlist at Amazon.  I am also letting all my friends and family know that if they want to get me a gift and Amazon gift card is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
jmeaders, I'm reading Marley and Me to my 6 yr old. Do you find yourself stumbling over the language and skipping parts lol. I'm used to just plowing ahead when I read but I have to do this one slow.

Melissa

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since they are almost 9, I haven't found we need to do that yet.  But I may.  I have to censor parts of the Bible at times when we read (mainly for topics I'm not prepared to discuss.  ;D).

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I stopped into Books-A-Million the other day to pick up a book for my son's birthday.  I, of course, had my Kindle with me.  I found three hardback books on their clearance table that looked really good.  I looked them up on Amazon and the ebook prices were anywhere from 7.00 to 9.00.  The clearance prices were 5.19.  I couldn't pass up that kind of a deal. 

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
No ignorance at all    :) ... Dead Tree Books. I think if you go to Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting (not sure that is where it is) there is a list Harvey made of KB talk. There are times when I have to go look something up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
stevene9 said:
I no longer buy any DTBs, period. If its not out on Kindle, I don't read it. Some of my very favorite books that are not out on K will get reread, since I already own them. But no new purchases.

Steve
I haven't bought any DTB's for myself since I bought my Kindle. I have bought my friends and my young grandson DTB's.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
No ignorance at all :) ... Dead Tree Books. I think if you go to Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting (not sure that is where it is) there is a list Harvey made of KB talk. There are times when I have to go look something up.
It's a thread in Forum Decorum called Forum Speak. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Wunderkind said:
I haven't been waiting as long as you have for your Kindle (it's going on 3 weeks for me) but I have the same dilemma. There are a number of books that I want to read but I have held off so far until I get my Kindle since I have some DTB backlog that I am working on right now. It would be nice to see some of the other people waiting on Kindleboards start to get theirs delivered; I hope I don't have to wait until February 27th which is the current date showing for my order.

The only good news on that front that I can find is that the wait time for new Kindle orders went down to 4-6 weeks on Amazon's website last week which would translate into the week of February 16th for delivery on new orders. Since delivery is first come first served, that (hopefully) will translate into those of us currently waiting getting our Kindles before the new orders are processed.
WunderKind.....you have made my DAY!!! I ordered mine waaay back on Dec 4 and I have been told by Amazon customer service that they are first come, first served so your WONDERFUL calcualtion and reasoning has brightened my day!!! Perhaps I will get Kay (or Sookie?) by Valentines Day!!! Oh, Happy Day!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would like to stop buy DTBs, but I would also like for the "Would you like to read this book on Kindle" button to bring a more immediate response.

Patience is not one of my virtues.

I bought Inkheart this weekend after we saw the movie.  Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, but I kept getting that vague sense that I was missing something.  lol, turns out what I was missing the most was the sort of stilted translation you get when a novel is translated from German into....anything.  It's been kinda fun.  I would REALLY rather have that one on kindle, but there was only so much I can do.

Which is unfortunate, as I find that I'm wearing out the right side of the book trying to make the dictionary feature pop up.

~robin

"Life is too short to learn German"-Oscar Wilde

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
I bought Inkheart this weekend after we saw the movie. Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, but I kept getting that vague sense that I was missing something. lol, turns out what I was missing the most was the sort of stilted translation you get when a novel is translated from German into....anything. It's been kinda fun. I would REALLY rather have that one on kindle, but there was only so much I can do.
I, too, was wanting to read the book after seeing the movie. Not available on Kindle, though, and I have been trying to not buy more books until I get rid of a lot that I have. I may read quickly, but I still buy books faster than I can read them. LOL

Which is unfortunate, as I find that I'm wearing out the right side of the book trying to make the dictionary feature pop up.
Well, you can always tape the back cover of Inkheart to the front cover of a dictionary. It will be quite bulky, and there is no quick search feature, but you will always have a dictionary by you when you read the book. LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts