Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reading all the wonderful posts about the new Kindle 2. As I have posted earlier I'm on the fence about ordering the new K version. One reason I feel such an attachment to my Kindle 1.... Strange that an "object" has this pull on me. But my Kindle 1 has really rekindled my love of reading and I have read more since she arrive than I have in years. For that I'm so grateful.

I want to hear from other Kindle readers that are "staying true" to their Kindle 1. I'm beginning to feel I'm the only only still enjoying the magic little progress bar while scrolling on my little plump K1 ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
^what she said.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm not ordering the K2.  I still like my k1, it works, it's paid for.  I wasn't even a little tempted to buy the k2.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I love my K1 and am not going to cheat on her. Plump is good! I'm not so into sleek and sexy. Plus she has an 8 GB SD card which means she has a lot of inner depth/greater intellect. And some of Kathy's gorgeous flower screen savers. I hope this relationship continues for a long, long time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I love my K1. I'm still happy with it and excited to own something so cool. There wasn't really anything on the K2 that made me want to switch. K1 does everything I want it to.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I was in line to receive a K2 after ordering from Amazon in December, but  bought a K1 from a board member Who was "trading up."  I had been disappointed about a couple of the new features and missing  the replaceable battery and SD card capability. I hope my K! will last for many years, at least till Amazon comes up with a true replacement for this little wonder.

·
Registered
508 Posts
KimmyA said:
I love my K1. I'm still happy with it and excited to own something so cool. There wasn't really anything on the K2 that made me want to switch. K1 does everything I want it to.
^^^ what she said ^^^

And this doesn't even take into consideration the fact that I really, truly am not good about any sort of "change". (I do, however, feel really "cool" because I was the first person I knew to have a Kindle.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I've only had my KK for what, one week? (And Mrs. r0b0d0c's was delayed until tomorrow because of the winter snowstorm in MN.....) Even though I feel the "pull," with descriptions of new, yet very subtle, improvements on K2, I'm MORE than thrilled with my KK, and won't be upgrading anytime soon. (And the multiple 4 and 8GB SD cards, along with multiple extra batteries, will keep our Kindles supplying us with everything we want in eReading for the near future!)

My biggest frustration at this point is the number of books NOT available for me to buy at the Kindle Store - Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. As more and more books are available, it just expands my Kindle joy - Grisham, for example! Keep 'em coming Mr. Bezos!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wasn't even tempted to "upgrade".  I love my Kindle1.  I bought an Oberon case for it so I have spent a fair amount outfitting it and it would bother me to have to rebuy a case.  I am not into spending money just because something is newer and more stylish.  I  use the Kindle to read.  It works great.  I don't have whispernet coverage so some of the bells and whistles on Kindle2 do not apply to me.  I certainly do not need the text to voice reading to me, I do fine on my own.  I use a memory card for mp3s and any large collections like all of Charles Dickens.  I really like the sensitive page turn buttons.  I don't need to look at pictures in a higher resolution, the big thing for me is how the text looks and it sounds like some folks are not happy with the resolution on the K2.  Faster page turns would be nice but I don't really notice the slower ones being a problem.  I've learned to anticipate the page turn before I finish the page.  If I were to go out and buy a Kindle today I would buy a K1 on eBay and not buy the K2.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have not felt the pull, a slight tug to own the newest device, but not a pull. I am thrilled for all the folks who have received their K2s and are enjoying them. I did tell my SIL that she has to come to my wedding shower in May so that I can see her K2 and play with it. She was thinking of sending my brother and my niece (who is also my god daughter). I told her she had to come because, 1) it is a ladies shower so my brother is not suppose to be there 2) she has the K2.

Then again, I fully expect my brother to own a K2 in the next two weeks. He hates it when I have electronic goodies that he doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
I'll admit: the more I read about the K2, and having had a chance to play with the one my pastor got . . . I REALLY like the thing.  If I did not have a Kindle already, I'd be so one-clicking with upgrade to next day shipping.  But. . .I've had my Kindle for about 9 months. . . I've loved it. . . I've only recently skinned it and gotten an Oberon cover and it still does everything I bought it for in the first place.  Now and then the little devil on my shoulder says. . .maybe it'll break and you'll have to get a new one. . .or. . .just get a new one, it's really cool. . . .but the angel on the other side says. . .you don't need to spend that money. . .be content with what you have which is GREAT. . . .so, until the day the devil wins, I'll be keeping my K1. . .

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
ProfCrash said:
If your Pastor gets a K2 and you really like it, does that make you Pastor the devil?
Hmmm.. . . kind of. . . .I'll have to mention that to him. . . .he sends me at least one e-mail a day talking about books he's finding. . . .big fan of classic horror/suspense. . . .and asking opinions of covers and such. . . . .he's probably even lurking around here as I did tell him about the site. Hi Fr. Greg! :D

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
mwvickers said:
You know, this has more than one meaning. I'm picturing cruel violence to the Kindle. :eek:

;D
Oh. . . . well. . . . yes. . . .skinning an animal is messy. . . .skinning the Kindle, not so much. :D

Ann

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm keeping Phoebe. She's cute in my eyes at least. I can read on her and TBH I like her heftiness!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Kindle. I got her in December, and we are very happy together!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love my K1 and have no plans to upgrade.  First of all, I cannot afford another one, and secondly, I don't see the point.  For me, I use my K1 as a book reader and seldom use its other functions so my trusty K1 does the job for me.  I have never had an issue with the placement of the buttons or anything else.  I keep it in a case that provides something to hold onto preventing accidental button pushing, a big issue for many.  My case has a little "trapdoor" in the back  :) so I can access the on/off and Whispernet switches very easily so that is not an issue with me either. 

The upgraded features on the K2 just don't seem worth the expense to do an upgrade - redesigned button placement (not an issue for me;) more storage capacity ( I move already read material to Amazon anyway;) text reading (don't need/want it;) slimmer size (the K1 is fine, fits in my purse, and the nifty leather case I bought;) redesigned keyboard (don't have a problem with the original design and don't use it that much anyway;) increased greyscale (again - not that big of a deal for me;) and joystick (no problem with the scroll wheel.) 

The one thing I wish we had was some organizational tools/folders on the Home Page, but that is a software issue which I am hoping will be resolved soon and offered as a software upgrade to everyone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts