Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on KDP. It seems to imply that I can make adjustments [re-uploads] up to 3 days before the release date? Am I reading this right?

"Warning: Your final version must be uploaded at least 10 days before the release date you set, with the last day for upload starting at midnight, U.S. Eastern time. For example, if you were releasing a book on September 20, you would need to upload it before midnight Eastern time on September 9. Delivering your book on schedule is required for you to retain access to pre-order. You will not be able to update your book 3 days before the release date. If you delay or cancel a pre-order book, you will be unable to list any book for pre-order for one year."

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Basically yes.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
You're locked out three days before. Final files have to be uploaded ten days before. If you make changes between the 10 and 3 day marks, you're banned from preorders for a year. Be careful about that. You don't really have until three days out to make changes without repercussions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
YodaRead said:
You're locked out three days before. Final files have to be uploaded ten days before. If you make changes between the 10 and 3 day marks, you're banned from preorders for a year. Be careful about that. You don't really have until three days out to make changes without repercussions.
You'd think they'd want to make that clearer. It seems like they're saying "You need to upload the final version 10 days before, but you can tweak it up to 3 days before."

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
KateSparkes said:
You'd think they'd want to make that clearer. It seems like they're saying "You need to upload the final version 10 days before, but you can tweak it up to 3 days before."
It's probably not worded as clearly as it should be, but it does state unequivocally that your files have to be uploaded ten days prior. You can make changes until three days out, but you will be banned from preorders for a year.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm not sure about the categories and other stuff, but I just wanted to confirm you can not tweak the book file without losing future pre-order ability after the ten day deadline.  I emailed them directly on this topic after I found a typo in a file. I couldn't change it till the day of release, but then anyone who already bought would have the typo.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
RJ Crayton said:
Are the changes you can make changes to the book description, keywords, categories or stuff like that? But you can't change the book file?
Change nothing.

Zon are very, very quick to ban you from preorder - change nothing.

I was banned, in my opinion, unbelievably, for bringing the release date forward. You would have thought that delivering early would have been appreciated.

After an appeal by ban was lifted. I've heard others having bans lifted - but don't take the risk.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I think Amazon releases the pre-order to KOLL or KU users before everyone else (I think a week in advance). I believe someone on this board posted that a book had a lot of reviews before it was actually released and that was the conclusion. So don't screw up their plans or you will be banned.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
dianapersaud said:
I think Amazon releases the pre-order to KOLL or KU users before everyone else (I think a week in advance). I believe someone on this board posted that a book had a lot of reviews before it was actually released and that was the conclusion. So don't screw up their plans or you will be banned.
It's not true that they release books early to KU and KOLL users. I don't know who said that, but it's not right. Reviews are only available on preorders when a paperback has been linked to it. Otherwise, they're shut off until the release date. I always link the CreateSpace copies (if that particular book is going to have a hard copy) to the preorder weeks early for just that reason.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dianapersaud said:
The book that had a lot of reviews during the preorder period was in Kindle First, which is a specific program, designed to attract reviews in that period. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201397870 It's not open to everyone and I couldn't find out how to apply for it.

Bringing up the release date was basically breaking a promise to the buyers that their credit card wouldn't be charged until a specific date, which would make Amazon cranky.

I think you can make minor tweaks in the description and keywords up until the 4 day window, but they start counting at the earliest timezone where your book has been preordered, so your live time might surprise you. It's really best to have your ducks in a row at the 10 day mark and then leave everything alone. I've done two preorders and all went smoothly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
YodaRead said:
You can make changes until three days out, but you will be banned from preorders for a year.
This hasn't been my experience. Am always tweaking between the 10day/ 3 day block & haven't been banned yet. Had no idea this wasn't allowed :eek:

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
KaiW said:
This hasn't been my experience. Am always tweaking between the 10day/ 3 day block & haven't been banned yet. Had no idea this wasn't allowed :eek:
It's an unclear area. Some people make changes in the 10-3 day window without incident, while others get banned for it. Sometimes they can get their bans lifted and sometimes not, so it's a risk to avoid if at all possible.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
PDSinger said:
The book that had a lot of reviews during the preorder period was in Kindle First, which is a specific program, designed to attract reviews in that period. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201397870 It's not open to everyone and I couldn't find out how to apply for it.
Yes, the book that was discussed before was a Kindle First book. Kindle First is a program where Prime members can choose one of four books each month for free (two this month) advance of publication.

The books are Chosen by Amazon's editors and published by Amazon's imprints. For example, this month's choices are two Thomas and Mercer books (mysteries, thrillers and suspense), a Lake Union choice (contemporary and historical fiction) and Skyscape (teen and young adult).

Betsy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice, folks.
I will have to ponder whether or not to upload. Somewhat depends on how many people pre-order. If there are a bunch of pre-orders I will probably chance the ban. I only have short fiction for the rest of the year that would be affected.

I'll report back.

In the meantime I am going to fix the typos that Amazon sent me! Mostly spaces missing between two words. May be some weird formatting in the conversion.
Rob

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
KaiW said:
This was my experience, too. I found a typo and emailed KDP support to see if I could make the fix after I'd uploaded the "final" version. They said it was fine. I uploaded the corrected file within the ten-day window and didn't get banned. So...not sure what the "real" policy is on this. I suppose if they tried to make a stink about it, I'd forward the support email that said it was okay. That said, I hope that never happens again...I was sweating bullets. :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
EC said:
Change nothing.

I was banned, in my opinion, unbelievably, for bringing the release date forward. You would have thought that delivering early would have been appreciated.

After an appeal by ban was lifted. I've heard others having bans lifted - but don't take the risk.
That's very odd. I've done three preorders now and each time, I've uploaded the final draft by the required 10 days before, and then brought forward the release date to four days after the upload. It's never been a problem.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You can tweak keywords etc but NOT THE MANUSCRIPT FILE in the 10 day window. (I wish Amazon would just lock that sucker for 10 days so there's no confusion).

·
Registered
793 Posts
EC said:
Change nothing.

I'm surprised by this. I've brought my pre-order dates forward on two books, and I didn't get banned.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have done three preorders now and each time I uploaded the final MS before the 10 day window, then moved up the release date to ASAP (which was about 4 days each time). My releases all happened before the ten day window would have even started. I didn't make any changes of any kind after that. All has gone smoothly with the right file being released and me not getting into any trouble.

Obviously I am not concerned about readers paying very close attention to the release date I put in--I do soft releases anyway. I've had hundreds of preorders each time and I figure they'll just be happy it came out early. I think that with preorders it just makes sense to assume that you cannot touch it at all during that ten day window. If you are the kind of person who just HAS to change that tiny type on page 107 at the last minute regardless of the consequences, then it might be better to stay away from preorders ;) I just make any "last minute" changes shortly after it has released.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts