Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are rumors going around the stock market that Apple is working on a breakthrough product. The two possibilities mentioned most often are a new revolutionary "net micro computer", or a Kindle killer. I don't know or even have any opinions on this, and I wouldn't even say that the rumors are "super strong". But there have been some mentions here and there and I thought I would just mention it to you folks.

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
stevene9 said:
There are rumors going around the stock market that Apple is working on a breakthrough product. The two possibilities mentioned most often are a new revolutionary "net micro computer", or a Kindle killer. I don't know or even have any opinions on this, and I wouldn't even say that the rumors are "super strong". But there have been some mentions here and there and I thought I would just mention it to you folks.
There have been rumours of a 'MacPad' for years now. They most recently surfaced in the run-up to Apples iPhone 3.0 event. Even Reuters reported that Apple has been ordering lots of 10" touchscreens.

Will Apple come out with a tablet Mac? Maybe. One thing for certain is that if Apple came out with a Kindle competitor, it would be fantastic, beautiful, and would make for a more competitive market, which would be a win for all of us.

The big obstacle to competing with the Kindle would be a bookstore. It's possible that Apple could partner with Amazon. It would make sense for them... after all, they're a book store, not a hardware company. Alternatively, Apple could expand the iTunes Music Store with another wing, the Book Store. If they made books trivial to publish, supported PDFs, and were more flexible for publishers, they might win over publishers from Amazon.

For those of you who own iPhones, don't you just want to swipe to scroll? I know it doesn't work with e-paper, but the motion is so intuitive, my fingers want to do it anyhow.

Coyote

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Steve Jobs has historically been against "uni-task" devices. The iPod is an exception, but he had big plans for that down the road.

He's also said most emphatically that Apple is not interested in eBooks.. There's a famous quote from him where he says people don't read anymore! :)

Given that Apple is not really positioned to take on Amazon's book catalog, I seriously doubt Amazon would partner with them to help them sell a device to *directly* compete with Kindle. The iPhone is a bit different, as it's obviously not just a reader, and has no eInk screen. Amazon has a lot of development and manufacturing time into the Kindle... The last thing they want to do is make it easy for someone to sell a similar device.

If Apple does do an eReader, it's more likely to expect a partnership with Google, or some other source of eBooks.

If there really is a tablet Mac or netbook on the horizon (both of which Steve has expressed disinterest in), I expect it to be based on the iPhone/iTouch software base. This would mean basically a HUGE iPod Touch, with all the current third party apps available for it.

That would make a contender to the Kindle (through the iPhone Kindle app), without having to go head-to-head against Amazon in the same space.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm sure the day will come when Kindle will have many competitors, as with most newer technology.

However, speaking only for myself, I can't take back lighting and hope Kindle never adopts it.  The Kindle is very easy on my eyes.  Can't read books on iTouch, mini laptops, or anything because of back lighting on computer screens of any type  .....only can read via Kindle or a DTB. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts