Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a KindleWaiter, Kindle Wisher, whatever you call someone who doesn't have a Kindle yet.  My husband (Santa) was asking me something this morning I could only partially answer and hope you can help me.  I tried searching online and can't find the entire answer.

I read that the Kindle holds approximately 200 books in storage.  How many more books can you hold if you purchase a memory card, and are there difference sizes of memory cards?  Are the memory cards expensive?  I've heard "folders" are a desired Kindle option.  In the absence of folders, how do you organize so many books?

Is there any way to back up (removing from the Kindle, yet saving) older books to make more room?

Okay, I've reached my question limit for one post ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just had to answer all these questions for my step-mother over Thanksgiving, she was VERY interested in my "toy".  :)

I would say, you can hold infinite books, if you buy various storage cards and are willing to swap them out.  However, with an inexpensive 2GB memory card, you can probably hold about 2000 books, if you follow their estimation method of about 1MB per book.

Yes, there are various sizes of memory cards, and the prices increase with the amount of storage.  I keep an eye out on Woot.com, they sell the 2GB cards pretty regularly for about $2-5 each, so I have 8 or 10 at home already.

Without folders, you just have to scroll through the pages of books.  For Amazon-purchased books, you *can* delete them, and just re-download the next time you want to read it, although I don't like that method so much.  You can also organize your books by pulling some off onto a memory card, but they just show up on your Home screen (on the Kindle) with all the "on-board" books, so that doesn't help organization.  If you remove that memory card, they won't show, but... you can't read them unless they are in the Kindle.

See why we want folders so badly?  LoL.

Backing up books isn't a problem - you can either use the USB cable to copy them to your PC, or just trust Amazon to always have them for you, and delete willy-nilly.  I prefer a combination of those two options, personally.  :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect answer, wavsite!  You not only answered all my questions (and more), but I read it outloud to my husband (Santa).  Thanks mucho!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Aw shucks!  *blush*  I'm glad I could help!  Oh, I just thought of something to tell your "Santa", lol - I'll go post in the other thread!

·
Registered
795 Posts
wavsite said:
IWithout folders, you just have to scroll through the pages of books. For Amazon-purchased books, you *can* delete them, and just re-download the next time you want to read it, although I don't like that method so much.
Instead of scrolling through every page, if your contents are arranged alphabetically by author you can just hit 'alt' and the letter that the author's last name starts with and your kindle will jump right to that page. That's a little bit faster any way.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I'm pre-Kindle, I should spend this time studying the boards. Thanks for the great tips!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
libro said:
Since I'm pre-Kindle, I should spend this time studying the boards. Thanks for the great tips!
You've definitely come to the right place to learn all things Kindle! I spent my pre-Kindle days here, too!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Instead of scrolling through every page, if your contents are arranged alphabetically by author you can just hit 'alt' and the letter that the author's last name starts with and your kindle will jump right to that page. That's a little bit faster any way.
My problem with that is, even though every book I have (but one) is straight from Amazon, they STILL don't get the names right sometimes. I just bought a book yesterday, a short story collection, and I see it's filed under "P. N. lrod" - the editor was "P. N. Elrod". I also have 4 books by Richelle Mead, but only one appears under the "M" section, the rest ended up under the "R"s. Arrrrgh! :)

If we can't have folders, I wish we could at least be able to edit the book display data. I mean, the identifying CODE for the book should be the same (ASIN number? whatever...), but I want to be able to edit title and author, if I can't organize any other way. Having all my Jim Butcher books in order, by series, would be easy if I could just rename them "DF01-Storm Front", "DF02-Fool Moon" etc., for example.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mind my asking....how do the books automatically download?  In no special order at all? 

I'd love to hear how many downloaded books all of you have!

·
Registered
81 Posts
They download as you buy them, either using the Kindle's own store feature (turning on the Whispernet button at the back to enable Internet access first) or just shopping via computer at Amazon.com.

If your Kindle is not on (or, more specifically, if Whispernet is not on) when you purchase via PC, the books will just queue up on Amazon and wait for the next time you turn on Whispernet. Once you do, download-download-download, done! And your Home screen on the Kindle refreshes, with the new books listed in order with the old. (I sort mine by Author, but I think there are other sortation options)

If for some reason your purchased books don't show up automatically, you can click the Kindle's menu option (again, once Whispernet is ON), to "Check for new items".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh, and I have over 70 Amazon books on there right now, including the free samples (maybe 5 or 6 of those).  Only one truly "free" book, the Steven Brust "Firefly" story (Um... "My Own Kind of Freedom", I think it's called).  I have a folder full of free books in mobi format on my PC, but haven't gotten around to transferring and / or converting them to work on the Kindle yet.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Amazon will also store a copy of anything you purchase from them.  You can always go back and download it again for free. 

When I first received my Kindle, I though I would want several memory cards.  I've yet to buy one.  I've discovered that I don't like having all the clutter on my Kindle and have been deleting my Amazon books after reading them, instead.  As long as I'm living in an area with good Whispernet connection, I think this is the way I'll go.

Any books you purchase from other locations will need to be stored on your Kindle, a card or your computer for you to have a backup.

Just another option for you.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I don't use an SD card either Sebat, use the same method as you.

LInda
Are you saying owners of twin Kindles think alike? ;D

wavsite said:
My problem with that is, even though every book I have (but one) is straight from Amazon, they STILL don't get the names right sometimes.

Having all my Jim Butcher books in order, by series, would be easy if I could just rename them "DF01-Storm Front", "DF02-Fool Moon" etc., for example.
I've got all the Butcher's as well, so I know your pain. ;)

Amazon or the publisher...not sure who is at fault... has been inconsistent with the way they title the books. The newest ones didn't list the series name or number behind them. One even has Jim's name all in caps. I also wish that bundled books could be pulled out and listed individually.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sebat said:
Amazon will also store a copy of anything you purchase from them. You can always go back and download it again for free.

When I first received my Kindle, I though I would want several memory cards. I've yet to buy one. I've discovered that I don't like having all the clutter on my Kindle and have been deleting my Amazon books after reading them, instead. As long as I'm living in an area with good Whispernet connection, I think this is the way I'll go.
That's what I've been doing. It takes moments to reload a book and I keep my home page relatively clutter free.

Any books you purchase from other locations will need to be stored on your Kindle, a card or your computer for you to have a backup.
Which is why I just bought an SD card. I absolutely will get around to downloading some free books but I don't want them listed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Boods on the SD card will be listed on your homepage anytime the SD card is in the Kindle.

G

·
Ok now i have a question,

Can't you just plug your Kindle into your computer, via usb and reanme your book files or does the DRM prevent this?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Vampyre said:
Ok now i have a question,

Can't you just plug your Kindle into your computer, via usb and reanme your book files or does the DRM prevent this?
That's a very good question. Some people have said they have done that, but it hasn't worked for me.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Vampyre said:
No. The book titles are in the metadata, not related to the filename.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts