Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storyfinds must be one of those websites I'd signed up for and then never did anything with it. I can't even remember why I thought it was good idea.

I just got an email that Storyfinds would like to feature a permafree of mine for a special week. There are three other books in the series.

It's $30, and I'm wondering has anyone done this and found it worthwhile?

The main problem is going to be that this particular book will also be featured on Bookbub in the same week, so I don't know that I'd be able to separate out the results if I went ahead with the ad. On the other hand, it's only $30, so...

What say you, oh wise Kindleboards? Has anyone used these promos?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Patty: I personally make it a point to NOT advertise with anyone who solicits any of the SMP inventory directly and then asks ME to pay. Uh-uh. No way. Won't do it. If they want to win my business, then offer me either a steep discount or run a title at no charge. If the results are good, I'm happy to sing their praises and shower them with money for more ads.

I haven't checked out Storyfinds freebie numbers, but the paid books, where I've looked at rank a day or two after their promos, never seemed like they moved more than a book or two.

I can understand a NEW site soliciting business by approaching authors -- and the tactic works GREAT if they offer the above-mentioned discount or no-charge ad to drum biz -- but you have to ask yourself, with as many sites turning away books that folk are desperate to advertise, why would a site that's been around a while NEED to solicit business that way?

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phoenix Sullivan said:
Patty: I personally make it a point to NOT advertise with anyone who solicits any of the SMP inventory directly and then asks ME to pay. Uh-uh. No way. Won't do it. If they want to win my business, then offer me either a steep discount or run a title at no charge. If the results are good, I'm happy to sing their praises and shower them with money for more ads.

I haven't checked out Storyfinds freebie numbers, but the paid books, where I've looked at rank a day or two after their promos, never seemed like they moved more than a book or two.

I can understand a NEW site soliciting business by approaching authors -- and the tactic works GREAT if they offer the above-mentioned discount or no-charge ad to drum biz -- but you have to ask yourself, with as many sites turning away books that folk are desperate to advertise, why would a site that's been around a while NEED to solicit business that way?
Thanks Phoenix.

That was kind of my feeling, too. OTOH, I have paid for opportunities like this, but usually at greatly reduced rate. They're not offering a discount. I posted her to double-check that my gut feeling is right, because what do I know? Storyfinds might be the up-and-coming Bookbub, and I might be missing out on something great.

Doesn't sound like I am.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
They did this to me last year too--I didn't feel comfortable and said no.

To do their regular $10 promo you have to do a lot of work, select a section of your book for them, edit it down to the right length ... I don't really like long sections pulled from the text. I prefer a short blurb that gives an outline of the story, and then to look at the look-inside. That might be my own internal bias--I don't like emails that only show covers either.

But I think I've heard of some romance authors having great results with them?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
We've had mixed results with them. Two promos were busts, but our 99c promo last December did very well with them. I have received their email solicitation as well and was also put off by it. But they are responsive and nice in the dealings i have had with them, so i will leave them open for the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts