Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at the latest Mystery and SF book lists (sorted by Publication date) a while ago and found the following titles listed in the recent publications for one of the other (and both) or those categories:

The Anti-Slavery Alphabet by Anonymous
The Canadian Almanac and Directory: 1887-1888 by Clark Company
Essentials of physiology for veterinary students by Diarmid Noel Paton
The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World by George Rawlinson
Sign Language Among North American Indians Compared With That Among Other Peoples by Garrick Mallery
The Story of Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
1991-1992 Official Congressional Directory, 102d Congress by Ronald
Florists Review by unknown
An impartial history of Ireland from the period of the English invasion to the present time by Dennis Taaffe

Not very useful, in my opinion. I emailed Feedback about it.

Mike

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think the problem is, at least for self-publishing authors, they can pick up to 5 categories to put their book in.  I suspect that many of those titles were culled from some of the dustier corners of Gutenberg and put them into a popular category to get more hits.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I can readily see the congress book since it's a mystery what they actually do and total fiction that they do anything actually good for the rest of us. The rest I'll go along with the second post, it's a ploy to get them seen.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just came across Microsoft RPC Programming Guide published by O'Reilly in the Thriller section.  While RPC may be a thrill for some code jockeys I seriously doubting that the general public will be that thrilled by it.  Amazon needs to clean up the their categories, they also need to get the publication dates right, the publication dates sort by the date the book was put in not the publication date.  You can find tings being published in January listed with books from early December.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gables Girl said:
they also need to get the publication dates right, the publication dates sort by the date the book was put in not the publication date.
One of my major gripes about the Kindle listings on Amazon is that they only list the date converted to ebook. The actual copyright date is much more useful to me in most cases (but not all).

Mike

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
jmiked said:
One of my major gripes about the Kindle listings on Amazon is that they only list the date converted to ebook. The actual copyright date is much more useful to me in most cases (but not all).
The publication date is available to publishers on the DTP interface and can be set to any date. I've set my books to the first upload date even though I've fixed formatting errors and typos on an ongoing basis but some publishers use the date field to track their revisions. You might suggest to DTP-Feedback that they need a field in the database for copyright or original publication date. They're surprisingly responsive as long as there aren't any interdepartmental territorial issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts