Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just connected my Kindle to the computer and opened my documents folder and noticed a file that was never in there before. It is ".fuse_hidden000005fb00000004"

Does anyone know what this is? I hope I didn't get any kind of virus from being on the web last night. Is this something I can delete? Should I be concerned about it? I never saw that file ever and I've been in my Documents folder of Kindle many times.

I appreciate any information and help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Sweet-P said:
I just connected my Kindle to the computer and opened my documents folder and noticed a file that was never in there before. It is ".fuse_hidden000005fb00000004"

Does anyone know what this is? I hope I didn't get any kind of virus from being on the web last night. Is this something I can delete? Should I be concerned about it? I never saw that file ever and I've been in my Documents folder of Kindle many times.

I appreciate any information and help.

Thanks!
I'm not sure exactly what it is (something about file deletion, I think) but try dismounting the Kindle (using your computer's 'safe to remove' tool) and hook it up again. See if the file is gone.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I got this from another board and it seems to be a Linux thing. It's not a Kindle board, but it seems to be the same sort of "problem". Here's the original question....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having some issues iwth ntfs-3g. I have been using this for quite long now and everything works fine except for one thing. some time when I delete the files permanently they get renamed to

.fuse_hiddenXXXXXXX where XXXX stands for some number.

After this happend no matter what I do I cannot get rid of these files. every time I delete them they assume some other number but size remains the same.

I can go to terminal and clear them using echo but I am not able to delete them any way.

Any idea what this could be...???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is the answer...

You can safely ignore .fuse_hiddenXXXX files. It means a file was deleted but there is at least one software which is still using it, so it can't be removed permanently. It will be done automatically when the relevant software stops using the file or exists. Such files are always gone after umount/reboot. This is how Linux and any Unix works but only FUSE exposes these files to the user. In the future we may try to make them unvisible but that's not very simple.

Here is the link to the boards so people can get the credit they deserve...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=550145

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.  :)

I went ahead and deleted the file. Then I reconnected my Kindle to the computer and checked in the Documents folder and it is no longer there. At least I am not worried about it being a virus or something like that, if I ever see it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts