Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to launch my first book and as I was checking the prices of Kindle store bestsellers I've noticed most books were priced 4.19 or 5.24. Why? Are those 3.99 and 4.99 with some percentage/tax added? Is it because I'm browsing from EU (the store is Amazon.com though)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure those are priced in USD still? I think Amazon auto-converts to local currency for wherever my delivery address is, so I get weird price conversions of 3.99/4.99/0.99 for the account where the main delivery address is outside the US. The local currency is indicated in very small letters, easy to misread.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Use a VPN and set it to a US server. You will see the prices that anyone in the US see. Everything is geo-targeted, so wherever Amazon thinks you are located based on your IP address will determine the price you see.

The price showing for me browsing from Canada is $3.91.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is the case, I wonder what happens when we set the price for our books -- is it then changed for the US or for our geolocation...

·
Registered
342 Posts
ImaWriter said:
Use a VPN and set it to a US server. You will see the prices that anyone in the US see. Everything is geo-targeted, so wherever Amazon thinks you are located based on your IP address will determine the price you see.

The price showing for me browsing from Canada is $3.91.
True. I'm not in the US, and even though I browse amazon.com, I see prices with VAT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I launched a preorder and set the price to $4.99. As it went live, the price on its Amazon page is $5.24. It must mean that even though I'm browsing Amazon.com, they're adding a tax for non-US users.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts