Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that the Kindle is marketed toward a specific group of people- Avid readers like us! ;D So when you've showed your Kindle to others, or simply talked about it, what have been some of the reactions you've received?

While I don't have my precious K2 yet I have talked about her [yes its a her but I don't have a name yet ;)] a lot at work....and most of my coworkers seem to find the idea a bit odd.....though none of them read like I do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I live in the desert southwest, and oddly enough my kindle hasn't sparked much curiosity. I'm guessin' that it's because it's about the same size as the cellphones most of 'em have and they figure it's nothing new.

I went out with a paperback one day though and it generated alot of interest; they all wanted to know what it was and how it worked.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My cousin: That's a stupid way to spent 300$.
that was a jawdropping moment, but I came back with: Your parents pitched into buy it for me.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have demoed it for a lot of people, but the one that surprised me was the one that asked if that was a Kindle and then stated how he would never buy one. What's up with that?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't know. I get that with various accessories. example: "I will never get a Zune." or people start ranting to me about people with zune being anti-Ipod when I was listening to my Zune.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I read while my Kindle is on top of my handbag as I roll my shopping cart at the supermarket following my mother. 1 of the workers there came over to me & took a looksee at my Kindle & said. I thought you were looking at a shopping list. What is that? I told him, but he wasn't interested. Then, another time he joked when he saw me reading, that I had an easy job. (Well sort of, but only at that supermarket. My mother usually asks for help, which means a constant putting to sleep of my Kindle. I usually go to multiple food markets in 1 day.)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I am beginning to think people in Texas are not very observant, or they are afraid to say anything. I have never had a single person ask me about my Kindle while reading in a waiting room, at a restaurant or while standing in line... They just kinda glance over when they think I am not looking and then look away!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It always amazes me that people don't get a reaction when in public.  I know I'm not giving off the friendly vibe but people still come up to me.  But the strangest (or maybe the most annoying) response came from my sister.  I showed her my kindle twice.  In March and in September.  She gave me that big sister "I don't get it but you like it so it's OK" look and said something about her upcoming cruise to Hawaii and too bad I couldn't afford to go.  Then following the Oprah stamp of approval, she called me asking me to talk her husband into letting her get one.  Since I have to talk to my sister, I've decided to be annoyed with Oprah.  Well my sister did not get a kindle so I was thinking about giving her mine when I get the 2.  This thread just reminded me that I'm annoyed with her and not Oprah so maybe my one of my brothers will get it instead.  Or maybe I'll just keep it or sell it so nobody will be mad at me because I gave it to someone else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a guy who uses his Sony during lunch every day at work in the cafeteria. Recently I was sitting with some people and one person noticed him at another table and asked what it was. A medical student (I work at a medical center) authoritatively announced that it was a device used by people with a degenerative disease of the optic nerve. :p

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Attorney: Is that a computer?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
"I will never get a Zune." or people start ranting to me about people with zune being anti-Ipod when I was listening to my Zune.
Off topic: For a long time I said that I wouldn't get an iPod. That was because you couldn't listen to audiobooks downloaded from the library on it. And I believe that you couldn't use it with Audible for a while, too. Now I have one, and I love it!

On topic: I don't have my own yet, but I had borrowed one for a few days from a friend. The strangest response was from my husband "You should get one of those! It would be perfect for you!" Strange, but wonderful. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't received my kindle yet, but I was describing it to my riding instructor.  His wife loves to read and now has a degenerative illness so she is staying at home more and more lately and I thought he might be interested in getting her one. 

I was surprised when he went off on a mini-rant about how technology is messing up the world!  People buy more stuff on-line now and don't go to physical stores as much, so the stores close.  Now people are going to buy e-readers and the bookstores are going to close.  He also thinks that people socialize less because they are always plugged into the internet or yakking on their cell phone and not interacting with real live peoples.

I was pretty surprised.  He is not a ranting sort of fellow, but I guess he feels strongly about it because he sees these things happening with his children/grandchildren.

I promised him that when I got my kindle I would continue to...go to the barn everyday to ride, eat out at restaurants as much as possible  8) and still go to book stores to browse!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had any strange responses to my Kindle, but one time I went to Border's and I was making a list of books I wanted to download, and these two employees came up behind me and were staring at me, then they left, and the manager came and starting questioning me.  She thought I was from another book store making notes on what they were carrying in their displays.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
When people complain about the price of the Kindle, I have started asking themhow much they paid for a plain old IPod back in the day. The ones without color and video. I seem to recall spending $350 for mine. And all it did was play music.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have never gotten comments or questions when i use my kindle in public...

However, I do have a friend who manages my local bookstore (he now sees a lot less of me), he teases that I am cheating on him with my kindle...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've had a lot of responses ranging from WTF is that thing, WHY, HOW MUCH?!, etc....

But my newest strange kindle experience was a couple of weeks ago on the plane.  I saw my very first kindle in the wild!  He was standing in line to get on the plane, and I suppose I was a bit excited, so I said something to the effect of 'hey, another kindle user!' - he looked at me like I was COMPLETELY insane.  Guess not everyone is as friendly as me.  Then he ended up sitting across the aisle from us....can you say AWKWARD?! 
(I did ask him later on if he's ever been to the kindleboards...he said no - so I know I'm safe from talking about someone on here!)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jen,

That was me on the plane. The fact that you followed up your comment by grabbing me and kissing me all over my head was a little off-putting. ;D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just Wondering said:
Jen,

That was me on the plane. The fact that you followed up your comment by grabbing me and kissing me all over my head was a little off-putting. ;D
Really? I would have guessed you liked it when you started humping my leg......that's what I meant when things got a bit awkward.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts