Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may be me, but to quote Rachel Maddow, I really need someone to talk me down on this one:

Random House Publishing Group Makes Free Titles Available on Lexcycle's Stanza Reader:http://www.lexcycle.com/press/random_house_free

Now, I am an avid Reader (note the capital 'r')--I would never read a book on either my iPhone or other small device. I tried when I had a Blackberry and it just didn't cut it. A book is not like music or a podcast (no looking)--its an activity that you have to engage yourself in, you shut out the world and step into an author's imagination. Its similar to a watching a movie in the theater. Not for peering into a tiny screen flipping a page every paragraph.

What dum-dum thought to offer the books for the iPhone rather than the many, many ebook readers that are made for just that purpose? HOW MANY REAL READERS GO TO ITUNES TO DOWNLOAD A BOOK?! <insert 3-letter initialism expletive here>. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod and my iPhone, but the only book that I would ever want for them is an audio book.

I have clicked so many times for books not available in ebook format, I go to non-Amazon ebook sites begging for books in other formats (I am the conversion Queen) and I regularly write to publishing houses about the availability of titles, I write to authors, etc., etc. And still we have thousands of book/series that are only partially available and/or are poorly published! Now we have a group of bone-heads that want me to read books the size of my palm so that I can render my (already) bad eyes into blindness.

I am so irritated I'm gonna kick my husband in the shin when he gets home! :mad: Or being that its iTunes, maybe I ought to give up and realize teenagers rule the world!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stanza is available for both Mac and Windows, and you can convert to Kindle with either of them.

Nothing in the article suggests that the books will be downloaded via iTunes. The only thing that needs to be downloaded from iTunes is the application for the iPhone, should you choose to use it.

Here's a link to some of the free books:

http://stanza.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=freebooks&si=62

There must be another link somewhere else.... I will look for it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pidgeon92 said:
Stanza is available for both Mac and Windows, and you can convert to Kindle with either of them.

Nothing in the article suggests that the books will be downloaded via iTunes. The only thing that needs to be downloaded from iTunes is the application for the iPhone, should you choose to use it.

Here's a link to the free books:

http://stanza.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=freebooks&si=62
Okay, now I feel stupid! I downloaded from iTunes and couldn't see how to get on my pc, but its a totally different app. I still have a bone to pick that they just couldn't go thru the services that are already available from actual book sites, but will calm down and try to work with this.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Jesslyn, I hear you. So here's what we need to do:

Write to Random House and explain, in the nicest possible manner, that Real Readers don't read on iPods and request proper e-reader format. O.K. Maybe that's a little harsh. . .maybe leave out the "Real Reader" comment. :)

In the mean time, as Pidg suggests, we can download the Stanza software and use it to make the books readable on Kindle.

And, FWIW, at the site Pidg cites (http://stanza.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=freebooks&si=62), the free books are mostly classics available at other free sites anyway.

Ann

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesslyn said:
Okay, now I feel stupid! I downloaded from iTunes and couldn't see how to get on my pc, but its a totally different app. I still have a bone to pick that they just couldn't go thru the services that are already available from actual book sites, but will calm down and try to work with this.
Thanks, pidgeon, I downloaded Stanza, but don't get it. It seems to be a pc book reader that can only do ebook DRMs so for now is mainly only good for free books. I'm not knocking the free content, just that most books aren't free. Am I missing something?

Interesting that they partner w/ Fictionwise, who already has a Kindle compatible format. Whoever owns Fictionwise seems to want to get ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I looked for one of the books that is supposed to be free based on the article, and it was not. I didn't see a date on the press release that had anything to do with the free books, my suspicion is that they have not got those set up yet. Alternately, I wonder if the free books are only viewable through Stanza. I will have to do further research.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dear Random House,

three words: Oprah.  Amazon.  Revenue.

Yours sincerely,
eReader who wants to buy eBooks!

P.S. Get with the 21st century already!

Jesslyn - i *love* that you quoted Rachel Maddow!  I lurve her!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hazeldazel said:
Dear Random House,

three words: Oprah. Amazon. Revenue.

Yours sincerely,
eReader who wants to buy eBooks!

P.S. Get with the 21st century already!

Jesslyn - i *love* that you quoted Rachel Maddow! I lurve her!
ROFL! Don't tempt me.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
And, FWIW, at the site Pidg cites (http://stanza.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=freebooks&si=62), the free books are mostly classics available at other free sites
True. This is much ado about nothing, unless there are a lot books only available on Stanza. Even then, users of the iPod and Sony have had to live with Kindle only formats and Kindle only freebies, so I'm not all that concerned. The Kindle is still the 600 pound gorilla of ebook readers.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
OK, I'm still researching. I do have Stanza on my iPhone, and I can get to the new free books via the online catalog in the iPhone application. I am going to see if I can download these from the iPhone, and see if there is a link somewhere on the net for these.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've looked everywhere, I can't find a link to the free books. Through the desktop client, you can upload to the iPhone - but not vice-versa - so they cannot be downloaded and converted. I have posed the question on the Lexcycle forums, I'll post an answer here if I get one.

On the other hand, the Stanza iPhone client is nice. Really nice. And it has folders. Amazon could learn something from the Stanza programmers.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Given that all of these books are posted in the Free Book Thread, and Random House maybe didn't do so badly, do we still need this thread?  Or should I retitle it?  I do love it when Verena (Pidgeon92) talks tech.  ;D

Betsy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts