Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another one of my stupid questions that I should know. The Kindle 2 has 3G whispernet. I guess that means that our K1s don't have it. Books seem to download quite quickly on my Kindle. How much time will anyone really save by downloading in 3G? Why should anyone care if it downloads 2 seconds faster?

Steve

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I don't think Whispernet has changed, has it? I think its still the same in both versions. I count to 10-15 seconds when I get a average size book, its really fast for me. I have full bars most of the time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It is the same.  3G = EVDO (EVDO is just a Sprint-specific name for the same technology, but they seem to mostly use it for data, instead of voice).  In the K2 User's Guide, it says: "When you activate a menu, a 1X or 3G icon appears to the left side of the signal bars that
indicates the speed of your Whispernet service. The 1X icon indicates that your Kindle is connected to the 1XRTT wireless network, which is slower than the 3G Whispernet service. Kindle will automatically switch back to the faster 3G EVDO network when available."

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, the first generation Kindle has EV-DO, which is a 3G wireless standard.  If 3G isn't available in your area then the Kindle (both models) will revert to their 2.5G network called 1X-RTT. 

Both Kindles have the same wireless cards and capabilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts