Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a class that I don't actually *need* for anything just because I really like the professor.  One of the few that carries you along with her passion for teaching and for her field (it's a literature class). 

I could have just audited the class instead of actually enrolling in it.  But nooo...  I figured that I was going to have to pay for it either way, so I might as well get the credits, since you never know when that might come in handy.

Foolish me.  That means that now I have to write the damn final paper as well.  Had I audited the class, I could have done the reading and enjoyed the lectures and class discussions and that would be that.  And now I have to produce 12-15 pages, with lots of citations, on an obscure topic that I really didn't want to think about as much as I'm going to have to. 

It's not the most stupid thing I've ever done, but right at this moment it's certainly one of the most annoying.

Please cheer me up by sharing some of your less-than-brilliant moments....

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you like the teacher, it shouldn't be too bad.  I hope.  And just think of the final paper as "practice" for other papers. At work the boss makes a decision, and 6-8 of us go run and haul a bunch of heavy equipment around, make it perfect, then he changes his mind.  Move it all again.  "Well guy that was good "practice".  Ha Ha!"  Hes not the one dripping sweat and working his rear off.  Look at it this way, its a mistake you will probably only make once, and at least you will enjoy the teacher.  Imagine how bad it would be if you hated the teacher.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Like the time, right out of college, in a less than 100 per cent sober condition and having just had a fight with my boyfriend, I drove my VW Beetle from one parking lot to another, not noticing until it was too late, that the 2nd lot was about 2 feet lower than the first one?  The back bumper of the Beetle caught on the higher lot so there I was stuck with the front wheels on the lower lot, the bumper on the higher lot and the rear wheels not touching the ground?  Fortunately it was outside a bar frequented by jocks at the University of Maryland.  A bunch of them came over and lifted the car to safety on the lower lot.

Needless to say, I never went back there....

Feel better?

Betsy

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bookfiend said:
If you like the teacher, it shouldn't be too bad. I hope. And just think of the final paper as "practice" for other papers. At work the boss makes a decision, and 6-8 of us go run and haul a bunch of heavy equipment around, make it perfect, then he changes his mind. Move it all again. "Well guy that was good "practice". Ha Ha!" Hes not the one dripping sweat and working his rear off. Look at it this way, its a mistake you will probably only make once, and at least you will enjoy the teacher. Imagine how bad it would be if you hated the teacher.
I like the teacher just fine. But class is over except for this paper. And I've had plenty of writing practice in 25+ years at work... at this point it's not going to get a whole lot better. <grump>

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
A bunch of them came over and lifted the car to safety on the lower lot.
Good thing it was a VW.

Betsy the Quilter said:
Needless to say, I never went back there....
Oh, I'm sure the jocks would have had fun teasing you! ;D

Betsy the Quilter said:
Feel better?
Minimally. Until I look at the stack of reference books again. I think I need some more stories...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I think I need some more stories...
How about this one.

I was at a college one time, and I was waiting to speak with an advisor. While I was waiting, I started talking to the lady sitting next to me. She had an interesting accent (it sounded British), so I decided to ask her where her accent was from. With a smile on her face, she told me that it came "from the land of speech impediment."

I couldn't stop apologizing, even though she told me she wasn't offended. Needless to say, I am very careful about inquiring into accents now.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Moving irrigation pipe (summer job while in HS) and trying to get finished before the lightning storm hit.  For those unfamiliar with irrigation pipe, it's a 40' long lightning rod.  Lightning hit less than a quarter of a mile away from me, dropped the pipe and squatted in the middle of the field till the storm was over.  Never been so scared in my life.

Not exactly my brightest moment.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
At my high school summer job, I had trouble leaning over the counter when waiting on customers because I am so short. I thought that I figured out a way to make it easier on myself without looking stupid. Then I accidentally set off the silent burglar alarm with my brilliant strategy and had to go tell my boss that the police would be on the way. The customer that I was waiting on said that my face turned about fifty shades of red.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That was too funny,

At work, we have a silent alarm that alerts the in-house security team.  Anyway, we had recently had our department remodeled and we were told that the 'panic button' was temporarily deactivated.  They never bothered to tell us when it was reactivated.

It was a weekend and one of the girls I work with accidentally hit the panic button and told us that she did.  I laughed and said "Uh-oh, everybody panic!!"  Then I told her, "Relax, it isn't activated from when they moved the furniture." and then I pushed it several times to show her it didn't work.  Within minutes all these security guards show up doing furtive maneuvers throughout our department.  We all froze, with big "OOPS!" expressions on our faces, no one wanting to tell them it was "All Clear".  Finally when the security team stopped ducking around things, the one in charge turned to us and demanded, "What's the emergency?" We just stared at him. Exasperated he shook his head and asked, "Well then, who pushed the button?"  I died of embarrassment when everyone pointed at me.  "In my defense, I didn't push it first."  "Yeah," said my co-worker, "But, you pushed it the next 20 times!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts