Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what everyone else did over 4th of July, but my wife and I went Zip-Lining in southern Ohio.  Such a blast!

Anyone else ever been zip-lining? 

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am not insane, so the answer is no.  Not even the kiddie one in the park near my house.  Of course, I'm intensly afraid of heights (a 6' ladder is pushing it for me) and then again, I'm 5 months preggers, so DH would kill me if I even thought about doing something insane.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I did a zip-line course several years ago in Mexico when we cruised along the west coast.  The easy one was sold out, so my daughter talked me into doing the more complicated one (access the start via jet boat, truck & a mule ride up the mountain, 5 zip lines, rappelling down a small cliff, zipping into a pond, rope walk).  I had a great time & would zip-line again in a heartbeat.  With all their redundant safety features & helpful guides, after the very first push off there was no fear involved, and they encouraged whooping & hollering.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We went zip-lining in the Smokey Mountains during Spring break.

I am intensely afraid of heights, but I wanted to try zip-lining once. We went with a professional firm -- had all the safety gear/helmets/etc.. To my surprise, I didn't close my eyes once, and even enjoyed the scenery!

The next day we climbed up to Chimney Rock (the elevator was out), and I was shaking like a leaf going up the stairs. So, I don't know what it was about zip-lining that made me feel safe. Maybe it happened so fast that I didn't have time to be terrified!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am intensely afraid of heights, but I wanted to try zip-lining once. We went with a professional firm -- had all the safety gear/helmets/etc.. To my surprise, I didn't close my eyes once, and even enjoyed the scenery!
I've always heard that once you get more that a certain distance from the nearest object below you the perspective or something changes and you don't feel the height the way you do when you're looking down from a ladder or stairs or such and get that feeling of vertigo. That's why you don't feel height when you look out the window of an airliner at 30000 feet up. Probably the zip line was high enough off the ground that your brain didn't compute the height.

·
Registered
209 Posts
scl said:
I've always heard that once you get more that a certain distance from the nearest object below you the perspective or something changes and you don't feel the height the way you do when you're looking down from a ladder or stairs or such and get that feeling of vertigo. That's why you don't feel height when you look out the window of an airliner at 30000 feet up. Probably the zip line was high enough off the ground that your brain didn't compute the height.
Well, that makes sense. Now... how to trick my mind into thinking I'm at 30,000 feet when I'm much closer. That vertigo stinks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts