Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm a new member and I just got my Kindle last week.  I've done some searching for various Kindle related sites and so far this is the best I've seen.  I've searched  and didn't find a topic about this, so I figured I'd bring it up.  I think it would be great if Amazon would have a section on the Kindle Store for items that are on sale and promotions.  Pretty much all of their other categories has a section like this, but they don't have one for books on their own product?  I try to keep up with their Gold box and Lightening Deals and so far I haven't seen a single Kindle book on there.  It seems like they do a lot of Advertising for their Kindle device, but hardly anything for the Kindle books.  There isn't even a link to go to the Kindle store from their front page.  You have to click on the link to go to the device first and then go to the Kindle store from there.  I'm assuming that they're not making a lot, or even any, money on the books themselves and they're only making money on the actual device only.  I think it would be great if they did their 4-for-3 book deal on the kindle.  Just my 2 cents on the topic.  I hope I chose the right forum to post this in.

P.S. The Kindle is changing how I live my life.  With the economy the way it is, I had to cancel my Cable and Internet.  I got the Kindle through my parents as a Xmas gift  with Oprah's $50 discount.  Luckily they gave me the Kindle as soon as it came in and didn't make me wait.  Now instead of watching 3 or more hours of TV a night, I'm reading books all the time.  Most of the books I'm reading are classics that are for free (websites I found after looking through the topics on this board!), so the Kindle is getting me away from the TV and into books and it's saving me money!

Jonny P

·
Registered
731 Posts
sciteach602 said:
I had to cancel my Cable and Internet.
Jonny P
??? ??? How is it that I'm reading this?

Seriously, I think that Amazon feels the Kindle books are already low priced. If you sign up for Amazon's "What's new for the Kindle" (something like that...the link is on the Kindle store homepage (not the Kindle Book homepage!) about halfway down) you'll get notices about new free books and special promotions (like the recent Penguin Classics).

Of course, any free book offer from Amazon will be publicized on this board immediately :D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sciteach602 said:
Hello All,

I'm a new member and I just got my Kindle last week. I've done some searching for various Kindle related sites and so far this is the best I've seen. I've searched and didn't find a topic about this, so I figured I'd bring it up. I think it would be great if Amazon would have a section on the Kindle Store for items that are on sale and promotions. Pretty much all of their other categories has a section like this, but they don't have one for books on their own product? I try to keep up with their Gold box and Lightening Deals and so far I haven't seen a single Kindle book on there. It seems like they do a lot of Advertising for their Kindle device, but hardly anything for the Kindle books. There isn't even a link to go to the Kindle store from their front page. You have to click on the link to go to the device first and then go to the Kindle store from there. I'm assuming that they're not making a lot, or even any, money on the books themselves and they're only making money on the actual device only. I think it would be great if they did their 4-for-3 book deal on the kindle. Just my 2 cents on the topic. I hope I chose the right forum to post this in.

P.S. The Kindle is changing how I live my life. With the economy the way it is, I had to cancel my Cable and Internet. I got the Kindle through my parents as a Xmas gift with Oprah's $50 discount. Luckily they gave me the Kindle as soon as it came in and didn't make me wait. Now instead of watching 3 or more hours of TV a night, I'm reading books all the time. Most of the books I'm reading are classics that are for free (websites I found after looking through the topics on this board!), so the Kindle is getting me away from the TV and into books and it's saving me money!

Jonny P
Welcome Jonny P! I am half of the official welcoming committee, please go to Intro/Welcome Forum and properly introduce yourself to the Kindle family. We are thrilled to have you with us and look forward to reading more posts from you. :) I also get the email Scott mentioned in his post. Should be getting a freebie soon!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
ScottBooks said:
If you sign up for Amazon's "What's new for the Kindle" (something like that...the link is on the Kindle store homepage (not the Kindle Book homepage!) about halfway down) you'll get notices about new free books and special promotions (like the recent Penguin Classics).
I've searched and searched for that link and can't find it. Can some kind soul help me? I'd like to sign up for the newsletter!

Thanks!

Vicki

·
Registered
776 Posts
I signed up for the newsletter, but have never received it  :'(

But Songbird, if you feel lucky - go the the kindle Store (far left tab).  It's about 3/4 down the page on the right hand side.  Let me know if you get it....

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nope, KindleCat - this is a monthly newsletter.  I am so frustrated!!  I have talked to customer support, and resubscribed several times.  I get an email thanking me for subscribing, but never the newsletter.  What do you think of it, Linda?  Am I missing out on anything great?

vicki

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
vg said:
Nope, KindleCat - this is a monthly newsletter. I am so frustrated!! I have talked to customer support, and resubscribed several times. I get an email thanking me for subscribing, but never the newsletter. What do you think of it, Linda? Am I missing out on anything great?

vicki
I would be glad to email it to you & let you decided for yourself. You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Receiving E-mail Subscriptions

Some subscriptions are sent out on a regular monthly cycle and some are delivered less frequently. You can get more details on when to expect the next mailing by reading the subscription list description. Click Your E-mail Subscriptions to see a list of all your subscriptions.

Why didn't I receive my e-mail subscription?

If you've signed up for an e-mail subscription but didn't receive it in your mailbox, please check the following:

* Check your e-mail preferences: Confirm that you haven't elected to receive only the most essential communication from Amazon.com. You can check Your Communication Preferences to ensure that the very last check box on the bottom of the page is unchecked. If the box has been checked, your e-mail subscriptions automatically will be disabled.

* Verify your e-mail address: Check to ensure that your e-mail address is correct on Your E-mail Subscriptions.

* Check bulk or junk e-mail folders: Check for messages from Amazon.com in the bulk mail folder of your mail client.

How do I make sure I always get my e-mail subscriptions in a timely manner?

Anti-spam software can sometimes be too aggressive and block legitimate e-mails. To ensure that your e-mail subscriptions always reach your inbox, you can "white-list" e-mails from Amazon.com. This tells your spam filters to let messages from Amazon.com through. The method for white-listing varies from mail client to mail client. Typically you can add the address in the "From" line of your most recent subscription e-mail to your Address Book.

Alternatively you may be able to select an e-mail from Amazon.com and add the domain to your safe senders list or mark it as "not spam." Please refer to the documentation for your mail client or contact your Internet Service Provider for instructions on how to white-list messages from trusted senders.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks, Cat, I've already done all that with the Amazon rep and nada..... sigh..... its a mystery....

Linda has been nice enough to let me see her copy - so at least now I will know what I'm missing.  Thanks Linda!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have received one email on 11/14 that the subject line read: New Arrivals On Kindle

The problem is, I am receiving email notifications everyday for stuff I could care less about.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Angela said:
I have received one email on 11/14 that the subject line read: New Arrivals On Kindle

The problem is, I am receiving email notifications everyday for stuff I could care less about.
I also recieved New Arrivals on the 14th, it was my first. I have only owned the Kindle since Nov 6th, so I think things just take time.

And I get those notification for the stuff also, thanks amazon :p

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Here's a suggestion for Amazon ...  find a way to let us order books and use gift certificates. Instead of the one-click buy, maybe it could be two clicks or there could be another button to allow you to go to a payment page or something. I've got a whole dollar left on a gift certificate and will have to buy a CD or something when there are all of those $1.00 books available.  :-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts