Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a K2 and while I have owned it about 2 months, today was the first time I turned it on outside - and I noticed the sun fade issue.  I realize that I can send it back for a replacement, but I have a skin on the K2 and and am not looking to invest in a new one. It is doubtful I will be reading in the sun much if at all, so I was wondering - is this the kind of issue that might be addressed by a firmware update eventually? Or is it inherent to the actual device with the problem?

I am also noticing the issue of the screen resolution at the lower font sizes perhaps not being as crisp as they should be - but if I increase the font size that seems to be a workaround.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
NO one knows when, how, or if the fading issue can be addressed. Only you can decide if you can live with it. There has been some discussion that it has partly to do with overheating as folks have had the screen fade when in the direct sunlight where the sun makes the screen warm but not if they've been in direct sunlight but in a cool car so the screen does not warm.

As to the resolution and crispness of the fonts, here are a couple of threads where this concern has been addressed and, many feel, resolved!

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5687.0.html

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,7233.0.html

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Adding the font hack really helps. It is easy to do. I don't know if the sun fade issue will be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I  don't plan on reading in the sun, so I guess I need to test some more and see whether being in the shade (but on a sunny day) or by the window on a bus etc. might be an issue. Given that it took a bit of manipulation on my part to get my Decal Girl skin just right, I am sort of hestitant to remove it for what may be a hypothetical issue for me - and concern that the replacement might be worse - though it irks me too that the device isn't performing up to spec, so to speak.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mr. KM first noticed his fading screen at the Taco Bell drive-thru on a sunny, cool, Spring day.

We are very unsophisticated.  Except for our Kindles, of coures! :D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I could not keep it just knowing in the back of my mind that If it was in the sun I knew it would be fading away the text. But you are the only one that knows how much and if you can deal with it.

KindleMom said:
Mr. KM first noticed his fading screen at the Taco Bell drive-thru on a sunny, cool, Spring day.

We are very unsophisticated. Except for our Kindles, of coures! :D
Btw I think taco bell is the highest of all mexican cuisine! lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
koolmnbv - You are right. I wonder if Decal Girl would just sell me a front skin. I have an extra back because there was a problem with the alignment of the keyboard buttons on the first one I bought, so they sold me a new one. Mainly I'm annoyed for not figuring this out before I applied the skin, so it's clearly not their issue.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Is this the same issue that the Motorola Razr cell phones have when it comes to sunlight?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason I am unable to modify my earlier post - did not mean to imply that due to a flaw in my skin I had to buy a new one from Decal Girl. They kindly sent me a replacement, free of charge. Big difference!  

·
Registered
761 Posts
So I was viewing another thread about this issue, and I just wanted ask a few questions. Does the sun fade go away once you're out of the sun? Or is this fading caused due to being in the sun?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
nelle said:
koolmnbv - You are right. I wonder if Decal Girl would just sell me a front skin. I have an extra back because there was a problem with the alignment of the keyboard buttons on the first one I bought, so they sold me a new one. Mainly I'm annoyed for not figuring this out before I applied the skin, so it's clearly not their issue.
I believe that if you email them and explain your situation they would be able to sell you just a front skin. I also put my cart in front of the horse and applied my skin before I checked for sun-fade issues. Luckily mine didn't have the issues (knock on wood that it stays that way) but I would have been in the same boat as you because I didn't test first either.

It's just i'd be worried that at anytime the sun-fading issue may become more permanent damage. What if the text on your screen might stay faded after a certain amount of time even in lower light situations. I probably over worry but it's still an issue and one that should not be there on your device that you paid alot of money for!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
suicidepact said:
So I was viewing another thread about this issue, and I just wanted ask a few questions. Does the sun fade go away once you're out of the sun? Or is this fading caused due to being in the sun?
The sun fading occurs if the page is changed or refreshed in the sun. The text and images stay faded until the page is changed or refreshed when not in the sun. When I tested my Kindles (two with sun fade issue and second replacement without), I checked for sun fading outside in the sun. When the sun fading occurred or I had changed several pages without seeing any sun fading, I then carried my Kindle inside to either discuss with CS or to verify that I was not missing a slight sun fade change. The first page change or refresh inside (or in the shade) would be back to normal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Once out of the sun does the fading persist, as if the screen were being bleached? Or does the screen go back to its proper contrast?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Let me just say that lighter vs. fading are two different things.  When I think of fading (as in my first 2 Kindles; both K1); entire words would be illegible...sometimes sentences.  Lighter, would be "just not dark"
but completely legible.  If one cannot make out words; it may only worsen over time as mine did; and that, I would consider fading.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
sjc said:
Let me just say that lighter vs. fading are two different things. When I think of fading (as in my first 2 Kindles; both K1); entire words would be illegible...sometimes sentences. Lighter, would be "just not dark"
but completely legible. If one cannot make out words; it may only worsen over time as mine did; and that, I would consider fading.
I agree. The two I returned for sun fading had sections where the words were illegible and noticeable streaks in the images.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to call Amazon today about the sun fade; while I don't really plan to read in the sun I know it would bother me that I spent a substantial amount on a device with a real flaw.  The customer service rep (who was nice but I guess had a script to follow) wanted me to reset the Kindle. I told her that I lived in an apt. and could not readily replicate the issue right now (and that I had read resetting the device didn't help) and she told me that she could waive the policy "this one time".  So I'll be getting a new one Wed.  When I mentioned that I was probably going to lose the skin I had applied to the Kindle, so it's not like I was doing this lightly, she asked me the cost and (without my asking) said she would put a $20 credit on my account that I can use for Kindle purchases. That was unexpected and nice.

I asked if the returned Kindles go back into the system to be sent out again - ie will I really be getting a new one. She said "you won't get a defective Kindle".  Not a direct answer - I wonder if that is part of the script too.

I also asked how frequent the problem was and she told me it was a very small group. Maybe it had to do with when the particular device was manufactured. For what it is worth, I ordered mine on March 20 though I don't recall the mfg date on the packaging. 

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PS - This morning I went to a window where a lot of sun was coming through. The text seemed a bit light but I didn't get the real fading where a chunk of the page disappeared - which suggests the problem at least in my case is a combo of direct sunlight + heat.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
nelle:  You have to admit; that is great customer service.

I will agree, that it must happen in batches.  It appears that (in my case) there were several of us with the fading issue at the same time.  When we all put our heads together, we realized that we all bought our Kindles within a 2 week period of eachother.  C.S. didn't say that it was a "batch" issue, but they did replace about 6 Kindles for us without complaint. 

I think Amazon has exceptional customer service...not only with the Kindle but with other items as well.  I've always been happy with the way they handle returns, exchanges and issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had I not noticed some posts here on the issue, I probably never would have realized there was a problem with my Kindle.  I wonder how widespread this problem really is - many people probably don't read in the sun and/or might not care, but ultimately I decided it was a matter of principle more than anything else (and the fear that the fading would get worse and a few months from now I'd have a harder time exchanging the Kindle). I agree that the person who helped me today was very nice and didn't push back too much when I described my problem - but if it is a known problem it is unfair for (some) early purchasers to wind up with flawed products.  If it is truly the case, as I was told, that only a small group of Kindles were affected, and if Amazon concluded the issue was with a particular batch etc. they could have contacted owners with the relevant serial numbers.  

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem.  Removed my decalgirl skin very carefully.  I was able to reinstall the back skin on my replacement K2 without too much difficulty, however, I gave up on the front skin.  The holes were stretched and out of shape.....it was a real mess in spite of my care in removing it.  I happened to read on another thread that if you save the paper that the skin comes on, you can replace the skin on that and then carefully heat it with a hairdryer.  (Actually you could probably lay it out on a piece of wax paper and heat it on that).  Then supposedly, after it has resumed it's shape and cooled, it can be reinstalled.  Unfortunately, I had already discarded mine.  You have nothing to lose by trying this.  FYI....the reason that I decided to return my K2 with sunfade issues (in spite of the fact that I would never be reading out in the sun) was that I was worried that other screen issues (ghosting) might manifest themselves after a while.  Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
nelle said:
I decided to call Amazon today about the sun fade; while I don't really plan to read in the sun I know it would bother me that I spent a substantial amount on a device with a real flaw. The customer service rep (who was nice but I guess had a script to follow) wanted me to reset the Kindle. I told her that I lived in an apt. and could not readily replicate the issue right now (and that I had read resetting the device didn't help) and she told me that she could waive the policy "this one time". So I'll be getting a new one Wed. When I mentioned that I was probably going to lose the skin I had applied to the Kindle, so it's not like I was doing this lightly, she asked me the cost and (without my asking) said she would put a $20 credit on my account that I can use for Kindle purchases. That was unexpected and nice.

I asked if the returned Kindles go back into the system to be sent out again - ie will I really be getting a new one. She said "you won't get a defective Kindle". Not a direct answer - I wonder if that is part of the script too.

I also asked how frequent the problem was and she told me it was a very small group. Maybe it had to do with when the particular device was manufactured. For what it is worth, I ordered mine on March 20 though I don't recall the mfg date on the packaging.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PS - This morning I went to a window where a lot of sun was coming through. The text seemed a bit light but I didn't get the real fading where a chunk of the page disappeared - which suggests the problem at least in my case is a combo of direct sunlight + heat.
Actually I think that rep is talking rubbish. I've had 3 that all faded in the sun, and every time I was told immediately to send it back, no attempt to reset, no mention of replacing it "just this one time" and was told by one rep that it was quite a common problem. The surveys I've seen show about 10% of people had the issue, and of those quite a few had the issue with more than one kindle.

I actually gave up asking for replacements. My first one was so bad that the moment the sun hit it the page bleached. The one I kept only bleached when I hit "next page" so now when I read in the sun, I just turn it out of the sun slightly before I hit next page & that works ok, or at least the page is readable.

Regarding refurbished kindles, I'd really like to know if they are physically tested in the sun before being sent out. If they are, I might be tempted to go for that, as the 3 I had were all brand new replacements.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts