Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this morning I decided to take my Kindle 2 outside for the first time.  Unfortunately, it faded very badly. It was almost impossible to read.  I called CS and initially spoke with an agent that seemed well informed on the issue. She said that they are now aware of the problem and are investigating it.  She also said they have had many unhappy customers who had returned for refunds so they are now rather treating them as defective and replacing units for those who are affected.  I took it that they were denying people replacements at some point. Unfortunately, my iPhone dropped the call with her so I had to call back. The next rep wasn't at all informed on the issue and initially said I could return it for a refund. I told him about my previous conversation and after a few times on hold finally have my replacement en-route.  I'm pretty pleased with CS but it does sound like the need to make the issue better known to all their reps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ELDogStar said:
I am curious, how fast did the fade issue come into effect?

Thanks,
Eric
Immediately after pressing next page or refresh the page while it's in direct sunlight. After taking it out of the sunlight and using the refresh shortcut a couple of times it goes back to normal though it does stay faded if you don't change or refresh the page. In direct sunlight the screen was so bad it was nearly blank. It would be impossible to read outside or even in a car.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mine has not done this yet.....however I do agree that with CS it seems to be luck of the draw.......all of the CS's need to be on the same page and give the same information. A lot do not seem to know what their policies are.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
jeremy81 said:
Immediately after pressing next page or refresh the page while it's in direct sunlight. After taking it out of the sunlight and using the refresh shortcut a couple of times it goes back to normal though it does stay faded if you don't change or refresh the page. In direct sunlight the screen was so bad it was nearly blank. It would be impossible to read outside or even in a car.
I guess they didn't do enough testing or are having issues with the supplier of the Kindle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind said:
I guess they didn't do enough testing or are having issues with the supplier of the Kindle?
I personally believe it's just a bad batch of e-ink displays. Hopefully, they will eventually be able to identify which ones are bad and correct the issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
jeremy81 said:
Earlier this morning I decided to take my Kindle 2 outside for the first time. Unfortunately, it faded very badly. It was almost impossible to read. I called CS and initially spoke with an agent that seemed well informed on the issue. She said that they are now aware of the problem and are investigating it. She also said they have had many unhappy customers who had returned for refunds so they are now rather treating them as defective and replacing units for those who are affected. I took it that they were denying people replacements at some point. Unfortunately, my iPhone dropped the call with her so I had to call back. The next rep wasn't at all informed on the issue and initially said I could return it for a refund. I told him about my previous conversation and after a few times on hold finally have my replacement en-route. I'm pretty pleased with CS but it does sound like the need to make the issue better known to all their reps.
Hi, Jeremy81! I wrote a similar post about a week ago. I had the same problem, and I got my replacement on Thursday. I returned the defective one. I ran the Sun Test, and the replacement passed it, but I'm still worried about it.

Here are a couple of my previous posts:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5224.msg108990/topicseen.html#msg108990

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5334.0.html

·
Registered
149 Posts
ElLector said:
Hi, Jeremy81! I wrote a similar post about a week ago. I had the same problem, and I got my replacement on Thursday. I returned the defective one. I ran the Sun Test, and the replacement passed it, but I'm still worried about it.

Here are a couple of my previous posts:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5224.msg108990/topicseen.html#msg108990

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5334.0.html
After reading your earlier posts on this issue I went out and conducted a thorough test here in the California sun...my K2 passed the test, and I intend to check from time to time to make sure it is not fading. Thanks for keeping us all informed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My original kindle had this issue. From the Amazon boards I learned that several delivered in early August had sun issues. I figure that sometimes they get a batch of bad e-ink screens. Got a replacement in January and this one has been fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
John Steinbeck said:
After reading your earlier posts on this issue I went out and conducted a thorough test here in the California sun...my K2 passed the test, and I intend to check from time to time to make sure it is not fading. Thanks for keeping us all informed.
Oh, no problem! I work at a Mental Health Clinic, and some of my coworkers thought I might have to see one of our psychiatrists. I was stepping in and out of the office with my Kindle 2. It was weird because I would read indoors, and I had no problem, but when I stepped out into the sun, fuggedaboudit! I had the advantage of the California sun as well. I was questioning the Kindle2 ad with woman reading at the beach. I laughed to myself because all I could think about was if I were at the beach and the text had faded on me there, I would have shouted an expletive , and it would have needed a life vest.

Hope your K2 continues to pass the test. I have been doing the same myself from time to time.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ScottBooks said:
My original kindle had this issue. From the Amazon boards I learned that several delivered in early August had sun issues. I figure that sometimes they get a batch of bad e-ink screens. Got a replacement in January and this one has been fine.
Perhaps the supplier's trying to cut corners? ;) ??? ???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sigh, finally had a semi-sunny day in Seattle so I took my K2 out in the sun...and you guys are right.  On every page turn or page update, the words faded :(

I wonder if I should bother with a return...this is my second kindle so I already used up 2 of the 6 liscense.  I also have my decalgirl skin on it already too.

For the ones who got a new kindle, has the issue not reproed, ie you don't see fading of any kind?  My fading is pretty big, the words are really light but I can still make them out.

I was hoping to read out in the sun all summer...what a bummer!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I took mine out for the first time today, I think it may actually be close to 50 degrees.... Sat out there for about 10 minutes, no fading at all.....

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Trekker said:
Did you turn the pages? That's when the fading showed up on mine. The new page had lighter text.
I was outside for ten minutes... I opened a number of books, a couple of newspapers, and read about ten pages of one book. No fading.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A dead give-away for me (apart from the much lighter text) is that page turns usually have a refresh where most of the screen apart from the top/bottom bars flashes black.  In the sun today, my refresh ended up having bands.  Anywhere with no text was black, but anywhere with text was a very light shade of gray.  Once the refreshes have the zebra look to them, the text fades.

Pidgeon92, does this not happen for you either?  I'm trying to get a feel for whats normal and whats not :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Trekker said:
You are allowed to have 6 total kindles on your account at any given time. If you have only one and get it replaced, you still have only one. You're not "using up" licenses by getting replacements.

The sun was out for a bit today and I tried mine. I held it in the sun and turned pages and the text definitely got lighter. I need to try it on a very bright cloudless day before I make any decisions. I also have skins on mine and even if I get a replacement kindle, there are no guarantees that the new one is going to work any better.

It would be nice to know if this could be fixed with firmware or if it's an actual defect. Even though the text got lighter, I still had no trouble reading it.
Good to know - I've heard conflicting reports that even when you deregister, the liscense used counts as one of the 6 liscenses used. Thanks Trekker!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
starryskyz said:
Pidgeon92, does this not happen for you either? I'm trying to get a feel for whats normal and whats not :)
Mine does not behave any differently out in the sun than it does indoors.

It occurred to me yesterday to test it today as my skin will be arriving in a few days, and I'd hate to have to return it as defective after skinning it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts