Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I looked up "superhero" and see a number of posts that are over 6 years old, but nothing more recent. I'm getting ready to release my superhero-based novel "Blast Force - Genesis", but I'm wondering why no one seems to be talking about superhero novels. I'd like to see what everyone thinks about the genre.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
705 Posts
That is a subgenre of fantasy rather than a genre of its own. So much of what people say about fantasy applies (but not all, of course). Other than that, what sort of things are you looking for opinions on? Sales? Marketing? Writing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious about sales primarily. I certainly don't expect to get rich, but I'd like to at least break even by continuing the series. I'm expecting to write at least 4 Blast Force novels, possibly more.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Promo marketing (bookbub, freebooksy, etc) will be tough because you want a dedicated subset of readers and Epic Fantasy or Urban Fantasy readers aren't typically going to be open to superhero so you'll likely underperform in total downloads thus overpaying per download. Pay-per-click ads should be able to focus fairly well on similar books but I have no idea what kind of bids would be necessary. (In general, PPC is tough and tends to be a money sink before 3-4 in a series are published.) Networking with other superhero authors for list promo might be the best option.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Actually, it would probably be a good idea to find out more about marketing a superhero novel. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
As a graphic novelist I'm going to tell you straight up that Superhero novels aren't going to appeal to grownups who read comics and graphic novels (it's a different medium), so you're talking a subgenre of children's and teen/YA fantasy. But that's the good news because superhero novels are growing in that subgenre. If you search Amazon there are some very very popular superhero series that sell like crazy and because it's niche and still small but growing it's easier to get folks to check it out. I'd advertise in the children or teen/YA (depending on the age you're targeting) on freebooksy or fussy librarian as your first marketing push into the genre because it'll immediately put you in front of the eyes of the target audience without a lot of out of pocket expense. Then, and I hate to say this because I hate them, do an Amazon ad campaign because it allows you to actually target and piggyback on those already popular superhero novels and series in the subgenre to extend whatever marketing bump you get with the freebooksy, fussy librarian, etc free ad you started with. You just want to keep the momentum you started with going.

Make sure your keyword and category game is on point. There are keywords/phrases and categoriesthat are specific to the superhero genre that you need to focus on. Remember superhero novels are a small but growing fantasy subgenre/niche and if you make sure that your book appears in the keyword searchs and categories unique to superhero subgenre fantasy and not the much broader kids and teen/YA fantasy genre then you can be the big fish in that small pond. And to do that you've got to be exactly where that specific audience is looking or else you'll get lost.

Good luck to you.

Dee

·
Registered
Sea of Two Suns
231 Posts
The superhero genre was at one point saturated (albeit mostly in films) and it seems to have lost some steam. These things always ebb and flow. Perhaps now's the time to open that door again. What's the premise of "Blast Force Genesis"? Cool title by the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The premise of Blast Force Genesis is a doctor working on a formula to enhance people's lives accidently causes an explosion. The blast throws the doctor through the roof, damaging his brain in the process, but also giving him superpowers. The blast also caused the formula to be directed onto the street where it covers a bus filled with high school students. The students begin to realize they are developing superpowers as well. Most of the students decide to form the Blast Force and work with the police to fight crime (as well as the brain damaged doctor that gave them their superpowers). As the students learn more about their powers (and about themselves) the battle between good and evil rages on.

My intention is to write multiple novels, so the first is named Genesis because it's about how they came to be. The expected title of book two is Blast Force Vengeance.

I appreciate that you like the title! I have the art for the cover completed, but the title and my name are not included yet. I will share the art on here to see what everyone thinks. I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
Personally I feel if it's done right, original Superhero stories are very epic, and OP it seems your idea/vision is fantastic, and wonderful, and lovely, and I will definitely check it out, and I love the way your characters are designed. But for the record, even though I don't personally share this opinion, or feel this way; on the count of, as I kinda like more obscure and different Superhero/Fantasy ideas. I'm not that harsh of a critic, but I've noticed some people really have choice words for a Spider Man or X Men lite or copy version. When a lot of original Superhero ideas are amazing; Readers are hard to please, and they can be cruel sometimes. So I don't get a lot of the criticism. But they're just wrong, so yeah.

I have a story idea, which probably in some alternate timeline, I might get published one day, who knows lol; which is basically about an urban time travel plot, taking place in Medieval Times/Middle Ages etc. to where it's basically a Power Rangers bootleg, but that's okay. Half the MC's are from the dark ages/uncivilized, and the other half of the MC's, find a time travel portal, and get stuck in this era etc. and they are kinda more diverse city people used to social media/internet culture etc, and they team up and become friends, and all have super powers to stop an evil force. so yeah etc. lol.

I feel your story is great OP, and I'm convinced and interested. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those of you that are interested, Blast Force -Genesis is now available on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle form. If you buy a copy, I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm not on KBoards as much as I used to be, so I missed this thread previously. Anyway, I write superhero novels and have been blessed to have a modicum of success in the genre. I believe it's still possible to do well in the superhero category, but it's a lot more difficult than in the past.

Unless you're extraordinarily lucky, you'll have to advertise in order to get traction. I mostly use Amazon ads, but others have successfully utilized FB. In terms of advertising platforms, BookBub is the 800-pound gorilla, but getting one of their Featured Deals is a rare feat. After BookBub, I'd advise utilizing Book Barbarian, as their focus is Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Beyond those two - at least for me - most other platforms haven't performed with a great degree of distinction lately, but that's probably a function of diminishing returns. Finally, as I believe someone else mentioned, don't forget about newsletter swaps with other superhero authors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts