Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lady Runa said:
The fonts and colors of the words "By" and "Heart" clash, don't you think? I'm with you, I'm not too sure.
At first it started to grow on me, then the more I looked at it, the less it felt like 'autobiography' material. I'll ask her to provide some more mockups and see what happens. I may go with someone else in the end, but I like the effort!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Maybe it's just me but i feel it looks kind of odd to have a heart, especially a sparkly one, for the autobiography of a man. It looks more like the  autobiography of some female celeb. Or of a romance writer. But then the title too sounds feminine to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vidya said:
Maybe it's just me but i feel it looks kind of odd to have a heart, especially a sparkly one, for the autobiography of a man. It looks more like the autobiography of some female celeb. Or of a romance writer. But then the title too sounds feminine to me.
My wife picked the title. Part of my story is some harrowing heart attacks and death I experienced at the ripe age of 30. Hence, "By Heart."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,169 Posts
scott.marmorstein said:
This is the first mockup for my upcoming autobiography. I was surprised by what my graphic design artist friend (who knows me very well) came up with. Curious to see what others of you here think about it.

It sort of does remind me of an album cover. Actually, it sort of has a '70s vibe to it. Not sure if that was intentional on the artist's part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
scott.marmorstein said:
My wife picked the title. Part of my story is some harrowing heart attacks and death I experienced at the ripe age of 30. Hence, "By Heart."
And what about the Indian-style font of the word "heart"? It makes me think the book is set in India or deals with Indian experiences.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
148 Posts
scott.marmorstein said:
My wife picked the title. Part of my story is some harrowing heart attacks and death I experienced at the ripe age of 30. Hence, "By Heart."
I think the title is fine. It doesn't feel feminine to me. But then again, I'm getting ready to publish a novel about two heart surgeons, so I tend to think of the heart more as the organ in our chest versus romantic love.

The cover itself ... I think you're making the right decision to scrap it. Nothing about it would suggest this is a memoir about someone overcoming a heart problem. As others have said, it has a seventies album cover vibe. It's a cool design, and it might work for some memoirs, but if your memoir is more about overcoming and surviving a major illness, I think you want to go another way.

Memoirs about overcoming an illness or injury common enough that it feels like a subgenre of memoir. If you want to go with a heart-shape ideograph, something like this cover might work as an idea to inspire the designer:

https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/heartbeat/

The addition of the QRS complex makes it pretty clear we aren't talking about the romantic heart. Another way to go would be the way I went for my cover, and that's with a design that incorporates the anatomical heart. You could also go with some other medical imagery as well, but I'd make it clear this is a patient's memoir so it's not confused with a medical professional's memoir.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lady Runa said:
And what about the Indian-style font of the word "heart"? It makes me think the book is set in India or deals with Indian experiences.
Yeah, I lived there for 2 years as a kid. I wasn't that interested in the font when I got this result, but I appreciated what she was trying to do there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thegreenheron said:
I think the title is fine. It doesn't feel feminine to me. But then again, I'm getting ready to publish a novel about two heart surgeons, so I tend to think of the heart more as the organ in our chest versus romantic love.

The cover itself ... I think you're making the right decision to scrap it. Nothing about it would suggest this is a memoir about someone overcoming a heart problem. As others have said, it has a seventies album cover vibe. It's a cool design, and it might work for some memoirs, but if your memoir is more about overcoming and surviving a major illness, I think you want to go another way.

Memoirs about overcoming an illness or injury common enough that it feels like a subgenre of memoir. If you want to go with a heart-shape ideograph, something like this cover might work as an idea to inspire the designer:

https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/heartbeat/

The addition of the QRS complex makes it pretty clear we aren't talking about the romantic heart. Another way to go would be the way I went for my cover, and that's with a design that incorporates the anatomical heart. You could also go with some other medical imagery as well, but I'd make it clear this is a patient's memoir so it's not confused with a medical professional's memoir.

Good luck.
Thanks for this. I mentioned the actual heart (the pump in the chest) but was denied by the artist and my wife both out of hand. Go figure. ::)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top