Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I've converted a PDF in a MOBI with calibre and I've load it on my Kindle. I've also a Samsung galaxy S II with Kindle for android. I would to keep the document synchronized both on Kindle and on Samsung, but when I go on the Amazon Cloud in Kindle for Android the document doesn't exists.

Is it possible to load documents on Kindle with calibre and then synchronize them on the amazon cloud? Or is it possible only with the contents purchased on Amazon Store?

Sorry for my bad english...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can email the document to your Kindle's email address, then it will be put into the Cloud for you.  If you put "convert" in the subject line, it will be converted to .mobi format.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automatically converted? Wow...

But in the case that the document is an ebook that I've purchased in kobo store (cause once I used kobo like reader), but the same eBook is sold also on the amazon store... is it legal to load on the amazon cloud that ebook (obviously without repurchasing it on their store)?

Thank you for the reply

·
Super Moderator
67,393 Posts
If it was a legally purchased book and the DRM wasn't "illegally" stripped there's no problem.

Even if you have removed the DRM, Amazon is not likely to care about what you put in your cloud.

Note, I use the word "illegally", with quotes because it may or may not actually be illegal where you are.  It is almost certainly, however, against the terms of service agreed to when the book was purchased.

Sent from my Kindle Fire  HD via tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much! You've explained me very clearly.

Tomorrow I'll try your solution (here, Italy, is 1 a.m. :))

Good reading!

·
5,945 Posts
A book bought in the Kobo store is likely to be in the ePub format, and I'm pretty sure Amazon won't convert that for you, so you'll need to convert it yourself to a .mobi file before you send it to your Kindle via Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
67,393 Posts
Linjeakel said:
A book bought in the Kobo store is likely to be in the ePub format, and I'm pretty sure Amazon won't convert that for you, so you'll need to convert it yourself to a .mobi file before you send it to your Kindle via Amazon.
Ah! Good Catch, Linda. ePub is NOT a supported file type, not even for conversion. Here's what it says in the Kindle PW tech specs section:

Content Formats Supported Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
Also, to clarify the answer to the original question: if you want things to sync, they have to be purchased from Amazon or uploaded to your device via Amazon. If you 'sideload' it, via a direct USB connection between your computer and your kindle, Amazon doesn't know anything about it, so nothing will sync. The emailing method outlined by Susan works, as does Amazon's Send to Kindle applet. But, either way, it's got to start out in one of the formats listed above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all,

I was able to send a kobo ebook converted with calibre to kndle reader following your instructions (emailing it). Now all devices (kindle reader and kindle android) seems to be synchronized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts