Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm sort of a productivity nut. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years.

The one thing that does NOT work is "winging it." No surprise. The thing that DOES work is a strict schedule using Google Calendar.

Writing/Editing/Outlining are my deep creative work that DO NOT get interrupted. No internet, no phone, just the blank screen and a notebook next to me if I need to look something up later. I do take breaks every hour or so if I feel I need them, but it requires me leaving my desk to get my phone, but part of me is wondering if I might be better off just going for a short walk without the phone. I have 4-5 hours of "deep work" a day and this time is precious and cannot be interrupted.

All minor tasks that are not "deep work" get batched at the end of the day and I knock them out methodically one after another. Email, ads stuff, quick blog posts and social media updates. Google keeps me notified when the time to switch tasks coming up since calendar is the only the site I allow through Cold Turkey blocker.

By the time it's 5, I usually have nothing left to do and the day feels super productive. I can read, play video games, whatever.

I've written four books so far this year, which is actually high for me since I'll go through 3-4 drafts per book.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
There are two things that have helped me.

One is using a timer. I take breaks. When I don't do this, productivity slows. When I do it, it increases.

Second thing: stay away from social media and internet surfing. It's a little hard to do when you use the same computer for both things (writing and internet), but my own productivity goes up when I turn off all that vast internet static and just concentrate on using the word processor.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Use a calendar or a spreadsheet to track the day and the number of words added.

When you see high days and low days on the chart you can see patterns and know what happened and correct future days with what you learn along the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts