Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an idea why Amazon book pages now either silently ignore tag entries or are displaying the error message "failed, please try again" when new entries are made?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Someone (sorry, I forget who) posted a thread saying that Amazon had disabled the tagging system going forward.  Existing ones still stand, but apparently you can't add new ones.

I haven't tested it or looked into it myself - but the poster quoted an e-mail they'd received from Amazon about the issue which confirmed that they were getting rid of tags.  You could probably find the thread in question if you did a search on it - it was in the last month or two.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It's weird. My book that went live last year accepts tags. It seems pretty hit or miss still.

You can always tell reader tags. They're definitely using them. It's a shame Amazon is getting rid of another tool.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
This is what I heard from Amazon back on December 7, 2012.

The original idea of Tags was to allow customers to tag items they were considering buying (for example, tagging items for a specific person as a gift), tagging products that they have purchased for later recommendations and tagging products to suggest better organization of them for Amazon. Over time Amazon has introduced new features that have replaced the TAGS functionality, including Wish Lists, Customer Reviews and Recommendations. Since the introduction of those features the usage of Tags, and therefore their value to our customers, has declined. We have removed TAGS in favor of the replacement features. Tags that you created are still available under Your Profile page.
I've heard the same from other writers. I try not to mope about it too much. I went gung-ho at the tagging - but it really didn't seem to make all that much of a difference in sales. This is a changing business and us indie's are just going to have to roll with the punches.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least now I know its not something I'm doing wrong or whatever.  It would be nice if the error message was "tags are no longer being accepted for books" rather than "failed, try again later." 

·
Registered
636 Posts
One of my friends just put up a brand new book today - and I just tagged it. I've been having trouble tagging when I use google chrome, but can tag just fine if I switch over to Internet Explorer. So...

:-\ ??? ::)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thank God. Was getting sick of competitors (i.e. marketers) spam-tagging my books with lies (i.e. lawsuit, etc). Good riddance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts