Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite books has been Kindleized and the price is reasonable. Tai-Pan by James Clavell, a good read. Maybe clicking on the Request button pays off.

$6.39

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Oh, I absolutely love this book. Clavell's best IMO. I probably read and re-read it ten times in high school. Thanks for reminding me about it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, I'm downloading a sample. I have never gotten around to reading any of Clavell's books, so maybe it's time!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Jeff said:
King Rat
is also available for The Kindle. It isn't his best but I've enjoyed everything Clavell ever wrote. I've probably read Shogun at least five times.
I'm glad you said that. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that King Rat is Clavell's best novel. It's a worthy read, but I find Shogun and Tai-Pan to be much more compelling.

PS If anyone is hesitating about Shogun because of the awful mini-series of a few years ago... let me assure you that the mini-series failed to capture any of the depth and nuance on the novel. A complete injustice. That's probably not surprising to anyone on these boards, though!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Harvey said:
If anyone is hesitating about Shogun because of the awful mini-series of a few years ago... let me assure you that the mini-series failed to capture any of the depth and nuance on the novel. A complete injustice. That's probably not surprising to anyone on these boards, though!
I was in Japan when the mini-series was televised there and I almost got stoned. (I mean struck with stones as punishment - for those of you who may not know of the original meaning.)

·
Registered
829 Posts
cush said:
One of my favorite books has been Kindleized and the price is reasonable. Tai-Pan by James Clavell, a good read. Maybe clicking on the Request button pays off.

$6.39
YEY!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
cush said:

$6.39
another click, another sample!! I think I have 7 pages of samples now!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Harvey said:
PS If anyone is hesitating about Shogun because of the awful mini-series of a few years ago... let me assure you that the mini-series failed to capture any of the depth and nuance on the novel. A complete injustice. That's probably not surprising to anyone on these boards, though!
A few years ago? When nearly 30 years seems like only a few years, you know you're getting old. That's okay. I think 1964 was yesterday.

I liked Tai-Pan better than Shogun.

The book I really loved is Dynasty, Robert S. Elegant, set in China, about the founding of a great trading family. I don't think it's kindlized yet and it looks like it's out of print.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Tai-Pan is the first in the series, then comes Gai Jin, then King Rat and finally Nobel House. I hope they'll Kindlize the other two books. Would also like to see Shogun Kindlized.

There are a lot I'd like to see Kindlized, but I guess that's another thread.  Sigh ...

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
gertiekindle said:
A few years ago? When nearly 30 years seems like only a few years, you know you're getting old. That's okay. I think 1964 was yesterday.

I liked Tai-Pan better than Shogun.

The book I really loved is Dynasty, Robert S. Elegant, set in China, about the founding of a great trading family. I don't think it's kindlized yet and it looks like it's out of print.

...set in China, about the founding of a great trading family

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You faked me out,Jeff!  I got all excited thinking Noble House had been Kindleized and clicked on the cover....  :'(  Oh well, clicked on the Request on Kindle button....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts