Kindle Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If you slide your scale very far in either direction you no longer have a balance - you have imbalance.

It all really comes down to life balance. If you’re someone who’s willing to destroy your family and friendships because you’re obsessively driven to achieve the goals you’ve set out for yourself at any cost, then there’s a very good chance you’ll achieve them. But you’ll also destroy who you are as a person at the same time, and ultimately your work will suffer for it.

You also have to live your life, interact with others, enjoy yourself – in short, have a life – otherwise you won’t be able to write good work.

If someone treats it as a hobby and enjoys it on that level, then good for them. If someone treats it as a career and works their butt off, then ditto. But in either instance a balance needs to be struck; taking yourself or your work over-seriously will lead to problems. Just ask Narcissus.

"if I'm not having fun, why the hell would I ever want to do this for a living?" - Yes, Joe, my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Two thumbs way up for this post. 

Soemtimes it's easy to get lost in the business side of it all and while it's important... damn, we have to have fun once in a while! :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
vrabinec said:
There's also a sliding scale to that ballance, and everyone has to determine where they fit on there. at the one end, you have the person to whom writing is everything. It is their identity, head to toe.
My tendency is to head towards this side of the scale, which is why I needed to remind myself of this, I guess.

Like Vicki, I'd like this this to be my full-time job. I want it to pay mortgages and feed children (which I someday hope to have before I get too old). But occasionally, my anxiety gets in the way of everything, and it all becomes not just serious but dreadfully terrifying.

On the other hand, I'm sure you can go way too far with this kind of behavior. An attitude like this could keep you from pushing yourself to do better or from setting goals and working towards them. I, however, do not have that problem, control freak that I am. :p

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
valeriec80 said:
My tendency is to head towards this side of the scale, which is why I needed to remind myself of this, I guess.

Like Vicki, I'd like this this to be my full-time job. I want it to pay mortgages and feed children (which I someday hope to have before I get too old). But occasionally, my anxiety gets in the way of everything, and it all becomes not just serious but dreadfully terrifying.

On the other hand, I'm sure you can go way too far with this kind of behavior. An attitude like this could keep you from pushing yourself to do better or from setting goals and working towards them. I, however, do not have that problem, control freak that I am. :p
Yeah, I'm on that end too.I'm just not ready to dump the wife or quit my job to find a job that'd let me do more writing (with commute, I lose about 11-12 hours per day working). Writers tend to be fairly reclusive by nature IMO. I think that's why I enjoy these boards so much, because I'm pretty sure 75% of the people on these boards would go to a party and be a wallflower. But get them on a message board about wiritng and they get chatty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I take different aspects of my writing seriously.  When I'm brainstorming and plotting, I don't take anything seriously because it would inhibit my creative side.  When I'm writing, I let the ridiculous flow or I risk waking up my internal editor.  When I'm hunting out grammar errors and misspelled or misused words I'm serious.  When I carve out time for myself to write, I'm serious.  I'm serious when I upload my novel and set the price.

I'm serious when it comes to the business side of writing, and the time I spend writing.  (With the exception of self-promotion.  I'm not good at it, so I don't take it nearly as seriously as I probably should.)  The writing itself I don't take seriously.  I let my creative side flow and then worry about editing out the too ridiculous later.  It works for me.

(I've done the wallflower bit.  In fact at one party, I spent the whole night on a computer.  Looked up to see everyone else gone.)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There are probably a thousand or so writers who think their stuff is brilliant, important, world-changing, and yeah, entertaining too.  Half of them are visionary artists whose work will outlive them, and the other half fools.  Me, I'm just a writer.  :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts