Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, KBoarders...

I "officially" retired from editing in early 2019 so I could devote my time to my own writing -- but I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from full-time writing for the next few months to give the creative side of my brain a chance to rest and recharge.

So, I'm game for some proofreading and editing jobs if you need someone in a pinch!

I took down my webpage when I left the biz, but I think you can find the answers to whatever questions you might have here in this thread. As before, my prices are $.003/word for proofreading, and $.004-$.006/word for copyediting, depending on how much work the MS needs. (I'll note that if you ask for proofreading, this should be a MS that's already been reviewed by another editor and just needs a final set of eyes to catch any remaining glitches.)

I'll take any genre except erotica and anything with more than very brief mentions of torture, humiliation, or rape. Also, please, no mega-novels -- nothing longer than 60-80K.

You can reach me at: ficwriter1966cd (at) gmail.com.

I look forward to chatting with you about your book!

--------------------------

Hi, KBoarders...

Someone commented recently that we freelance editors should market ourselves more strongly -- that we should tell you why we're the right choice in a crowded field.

Why pick me?

I've had decades of practice. I've only been a professional editor for two years (today is my 2nd anniversary, in fact), but prior to that I was a secretary for 38 years, for bosses who insisted on quality. They wanted everything that left our desks to be letter-perfect--which meant it was up to me to haul out the magnifying glass and go through each and every document line by line, word by word. And every year, my evaluations pointed out that "Carol's attention to detail is remarkable."

I care. I didn't zero in on that A+ level of quality because it meant pats on the back from my bosses. I did it because what left my desk was important to me. What I was presenting to our clients was important to me. I feel the same way about the books I publish. I do my own editing--and if you take a Look Inside any of the books in my signature, you'll see what I sign off on.

I know where you're coming from. I've been a writer for 50 years. That's a LOT of stories. (Something like 8 million words' worth.) I know what it feels like to type that first word on the page... and to finally type the last word. I've been there.

People with serious credentials have given me a thumbs-up--and the gift of their knowledge and experience. "My GOD, she knows how people talk." That was a well-respected TV writer with a list of credits a mile long, responding to a script of mine. Another of my scripts scored me a writing internship at Star Trek: TNG, where one of the producers told me that my work was "like a cool drink of water on a hot day." Working with those talented and generous people taught me how to spot a lot of flaws: continuity mistakes, pacing problems, dropped plot threads, and so on.

I'll give you my honest opinion. That may be a reason not to work with me, if you're looking for someone to pat you on the head and tell you that your manuscript is perfect just as it is. I'm not one of those readers who's willing to wade through a book with a million errors because "there's a good story in there somewhere"--so I won't sign off on something like that. If your book needs more work, I'll tell you. I'll also tell you, as best I can, how to fix what's wrong--how to aim higher.

I'm fast and reliable. Yes, I do occasionally come back to a client to ask for another day or two to finish the job--but that's generally because the project has turned out to be more time-consuming than I estimated. Sometimes, my life interferes with work. But, "God willing and the creek don't rise," as a former boss used to say, I'll get your manuscript back to you on time, and sometimes earlier than promised.

To put it simply: I'm good at what I do.

I'll let you think about that, and check out the services I offer over on my web page:
https://caroldavisauthor.com/a-better-look-editing-services/

If you have questions, feel free to PM me here at KBoards, or e-mail me at the address listed on the website. I'm happy to do samples any time.

Thanks, guys! I look forward to working with you! :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
What are the specific genres you're willing to do?  For instance, I write gay romance.  I don't know if you'd be comfortable proofreading that (not that I have a short story at the moment, though I'd love to take you up on this when I do, if you're still available!), but it's not something everyone would be comfortable reading.  I understand; I'm not comfortable reading every genre.  Just wondering. :) 

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HSh said:
What are the specific genres you're willing to do? For instance, I write gay romance. I don't know if you'd be comfortable proofreading that (not that I have a short story at the moment, though I'd love to take you up on this when I do, if you're still available!), but it's not something everyone would be comfortable reading. I understand; I'm not comfortable reading every genre. Just wondering. :)
Back to edit just a bit...

I'd be okay with gay romance, but not with gay erotica -- it's not something I'm comfortable with. So... anything that's R-rated or below, I think. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
von19 said:
Oh my god your an angel

Sent from The International Space Station using Tapatalk
Doing my bit to help the WC community! Everyone here has offered SO much valuable information, I wanted to do something to give back.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Carol Davis said:
I'd be okay with romance, but not with erotica -- it's not something I'm comfortable with. So... anything that's R-rated or below, I think. :)
Thank you! :D I don't currently write erotica, so it's all cool. Thanks for answering. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hsh, sounds good!

Your quote didn't pick up the revisions to my previous reply, so I'll clarify a bit more for everyone: I'm not comfortable with gay erotica, but gay romance is absolutely fine.  I think I'd also be kind of uncomfortable with the varieties of erotica that are... off the beaten path, let's say?  But regular guy-meets-girl, M/F erotica is fine.  I'm also fine with horror, SF, fantasy, romance.

The only thing I can think of where I might be unsure of my ability to pick out inaccuracies would be a military-focused story, or something that's very specific about sports.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Carol, I have a story that may need your help.

What is your level of familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style?

The genre of the story I might send your way for "a final set of eyes on it" is contemporary horror/suspense.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CraigInOregon said:
Carol, I have a story that may need your help.

What is your level of familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style?

The genre of the story I might send your way for "a final set of eyes on it" is contemporary horror/suspense.
Hi Craig,

Well, I'll admit... I don't work with a manual lying open on the table beside me. I was introduced to the CMS during my college days, but my writing/editing abilities come more from 50 years of active experience. Do you have specific concerns?

Contemporary horror/suspense is a favorite of mine, so I'd be delighted to work with you on your story.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
My main concerns with CMoS familiarity goes mostly to the proper use of the Oxford comma (I'm for it!) and a personal distaste for those who use the AP Libel and Style Manual, invented for journalism and column-inches concerns, in a book publishing context.

(For example, I believe in avoiding visual shortcuts common in journalism, but unacceptable by CMoS book publishing standards. Ex. 1st St. or First Street)

I'll PM you with specifics on the project I expect to be sending you, soon.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can attest to Carol's proofreading prowess. She helped me out with my new short story and not only was the story professionally edited when I got it back, but she was quick and super easy to work with (prompt responses to emails etc. etc.). If you have a work that needs another pair of eyes I really don't think you can find a better person to send your story to for a thorough once over.

Thanks again Carol!

Micah

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Carol,

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks![br][br]

Betsy [br]KBoards Moderator

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CraigInOregon said:
My main concerns with CMoS familiarity goes mostly to the proper use of the Oxford comma (I'm for it!) and a personal distaste for those who use the AP Libel and Style Manual, invented for journalism and column-inches concerns, in a book publishing context.

(For example, I believe in avoiding visual shortcuts common in journalism, but unacceptable by CMoS book publishing standards. Ex. 1st St. or First Street)

I'll PM you with specifics on the project I expect to be sending you, soon.
Gotcha! No, I don't use abbreviations in that way.

Micah: Thanks so much for the kind words! I look forward to working with you again as time goes on. You were a pleasure to work with as well.

Betsy: Thanks for the official welcome! I'm going to take that as a sign that things will go well when I transition into being an "official" proofreader/editor. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
T.C. Beckett said:
This sounds great! I've got a short story that I need to finish reading over myself for initial proofing, but after I'm finished I might have to take you up on this generous offer.
I still have availability next week, so by all means drop me a PM when you're ready!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've just received a short story back from Carol. I'm extremely happy with the results. Not only was the editing thorough and of a high quality, she gave me some general feedback that will certainly help me improve the story as a whole. Carol was friendly and professional throughout the entire process, replied promptly to my emails and turned the story around very quickly. I will definitely be booking her for future projects.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've got a 1k piece of flash fiction, if you're interested. I'd like to think it's already polished, but I haven't had a professional look it over at all, just a ton of beta-readers. Happy for a second look though!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sophia Feddersen said:
I've got a 1k piece of flash fiction, if you're interested. I'd like to think it's already polished, but I haven't had a professional look it over at all, just a ton of beta-readers. Happy for a second look though!
Flash fiction is welcome, Sophia! I'll send you a PM with the e-mail address.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts