Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got em, want em, hate em, love em???
Talk about them here!

I have 4 currently with an appt next week to get another.
I have a set of 4 butterflys on the top of my right foot. They symbolize my kids and are colored in their birthstone color.
A rose on my right hip, a cluster of 3 tulips and a Lysandra Bellargus butterfly on my left ankle http://www.fotobank.ru/img/MP04-3178.jpg?size=l , a purple hibiscus on the inside of my right wrist.

I got my nose pierced 2 days ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting the popcorn.... ;) can't wait to read these :eek:

I have wanted a motorcycle tat but only saw it once, can not find the same one & I do not want to settle.

My wife has several piercings (don't tell her I told you)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Not a fan of tattoos or piercings (other than ears), but to each their own.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have six tattoos. My favorite one is the dragon that starts at the top of my left thigh and wraps around my leg and ends across the top of my foot. I have about 4 hours invested in it and have about 2 or 3 hours left to finish coloring it in.

On my right lower leg I have a flaming heart with a sword stabbed through it. A Celtic dagger design on my lower back. The other ones are personal.

Looking forward to finishing my dragon and deciding what I want next!  ;D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
2 of my daughters got tattoos. One has 6 and the other has 2. Most are small. As a Mother I hate them, but I also understand their need to express themselves. But, my oldest daughter (6 of them) regrets getting them and wishes she could get them removed. She is a substitute teacher and doesn't like them to show when teaching and she doesn't want her 3 boys to get them.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I have never had any desire at all for either a tattoo or a piercing. As far as others having them, I find they invariable detract from a woman's beauty in all cases. I'd even prefer that women not pierce their ears, but that would apparently be a vain hope on my part as most women seem to feel they absolutely must wear earrings, and I suppose pierced earrings are probably more practical than clip-ons.

As far as I'm concerned, the female body is fine just the way it is: it does not need jewelry, red-painted lips and blue-painted eyelids, or any other artificial decorations, including tattoos and piercings. (OK, a subtle application of a minimal amount of make-up can help many woman, and probably many men, too. ;) )

But obviously there are a lot of people in the world whose tastes are different than mine, but I cannot recall ever hearing another man say to me, "Boy that girl/woman is pretty, but she'd be even hotter if she got a tattoo or a piercing." But then, I don't hang out with bikers, goths, or punk rockers, so who knows? And if Angelina Jolie comes calling on me, I'm not going to tell her to come back later after she has her tattoos removed (not that I think I'll ever have to worry about that situation).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Kathy said:
2 of my daughters got tattoos. One has 6 and the other has 2. Most are small. As a Mother I hate them, but I also understand their need to express themselves. But, my oldest daughter (6 of them) regrets getting them and wishes she could get them removed. She is a substitute teacher and doesn't like them to show when teaching and she doesn't want her 3 boys to get them.
Either of your daughters run into problems with employers who don't like tattoos showing? I hate to say it but if someone came into my office looking for a job and had lip/nose/tongue piercings or visible tattoos I almost assuredly would not hire them no matter what their qualifications were.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Forster said:
Either of your daughters run into problems with employers who don't like tattoos showing? I hate to say it but if someone came into my office looking for a job and had lip/nose/tongue piercings or visible tattoos I almost assuredly would not hire them no matter what their qualifications were.
No, both are beautiful girls and none of the tattoos are big. They can all be covered without a problem. Now if they had to interview in a bikini they might have a problem. The only one that shows on my oldest daughter is a tattoo on her finger, but it is really small.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
There are less and less people prejudiced against tattoos these days. I'd rather not work for someone superficial enough to not hire me because of what I look like anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forster said:
And that is blatant discrimination. Same as race, religion or physical handicap.

Also, tattoos aren't just for "bikers, goths and punk rockers". Talk about stereotyping. ::)

I started this thread to be fun, I sincerely hope it doesn't turn into a debate. I saw some previous posts where some other members mentioned their tattoos or possibly wanting them and thought it would be fun to share. <shrug>

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't do ink and I'm not fond of piercings either although I have nothing against those who do.  It's just not my thing and I'm not attracted to it at all.  I got my ears pierced (once) when I was 12 or 13 and that's it!  I do feel naked if I leave the house without earrings in, though it's usually just diamond studs or simple silver hoops, but somehow I think I'm going way off topic here.....  lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would love to have piercing, but they don't stay in for me.  I am allergic to something in the metal... I always thought it was nickel but now most of them are nickel free and they still don't work.  I used to have my eyebrow, belly button, and tongue done (as well as ears).

I do have 3 tattoos tho... a chinese symbol on my ankle, a dolphin on my lower back and a sun/moon/dolphin thing on my upper back. I want more :)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have two:

and

I carried a drawing of the Thumper tattoo around in a briefcase for nearly 15 years before I finally got it.

The 2nd one isn't done; the Superman shield is in memory of my father-in-law (and pink because of his favorite t-shirt that said Tough Guys Wear Pink) and I'm adding a blue hummingbird under it, with the wings touching the shield. That will be for my MIL, who's as busy as a hummingbird; the wings have to touch the shield because no matter what, she always carries him with her.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I admire artsy tattoos; I wish when I was younger I had had the courage to get one.

One daughter has one and wants to get more & I've got no problem with that.

I've hired people with tatoos & piercings; such doesn't seem to have been any indicator of their qualifications or merit as employees.

I followed the link and got no messages that I was going to a bad site or exposing my computer to any viruses, trojans, or whatnot.

::)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Googlegirl said:
...Also, tattoos aren't just for "bikers, goths and punk rockers". Talk about stereotyping. ::)
Perhaps that came out not quite the way I intended. The intention was to acknowledge that there may be groups of people who do, in fact, find such things attractive. Certainly they are generalizations, were not intended to be all-inclusive, and a generalization by definition is only, well, a generalization. It may be a Freudian slip that I only mentioned those 3 groups, which many people who are not members of those groups would take their inclusion as having a negative connotation; but then if you are jumping to that conclusion, are you also guilty of stereotyping? ???
I started this thread to be fun, I sincerely hope it doesn't turn into a debate. I saw some previous posts where some other members mentioned their tattoos or possibly wanting them and thought it would be fun to share. <shrug>
Well, to quote your initial post:
Got em, want em, hate em, love em??? [my emphasis]
So I took that as an invitation for those of us who "hate em" to reply. So be careful what you ask for. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, love 'em. Body modification is part of my lifestyle and who I am. I'm certain it always will be, despite the amount of people who just don't 'get' it, and think they know what's best despite their ignorance (and are usually quite vocal about it). Doesn't bother me though. If anything, it helps me decide who's worth getting to know and who isn't.

I'm curious to know how most of you feel about 'harder' mods, such as stretched lobes, scarification, split tongues, facial tattoos, etc?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
reemixx said:
I'm curious to know how most of you feel about 'harder' mods, such as stretched lobes, scarification, split tongues, facial tattoos, etc?
I haven't found a way to understand what they are about - so I tend to have a negative reaction. I haven't had the chance (or made the opportunity[?]) to know anyone with such, so don't have a good context.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
reemixx said:
My 16yo son has 1/2" gauges.
I really like the look of transdermal peircings. I've seen some really cute ones around the eye/cheek area.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Both love 'em and hate 'em. 

For myself, I'd never get one (either piercing or tattoo), because I like my body just the way it is, and if I make any just-for-fun changes to enhance it,  I want them to wash off at the end of the day.  Also, I'm terribly squeamish about pain.  I don't have pierced ears either, and oddly, neither does any other woman in my family.  When I used to pin up my hair, I wore clip-ons, big dangly ones, and if I had that kind as pierced earrings I'd be much too scared of having them catch on something.

However, I do appreciate the skilled artwork that goes into some of the elaborate tattoos I've seen.  And the humor or significance of some of the smaller ones, too.  Some of them have cool stories behind them as well.  (I've always assumed that if someone has a very noticeable tattoo, they WANT it to be noticed, and therefore it's ok to ask politely about the significance, if that's not immediately obvious.  If I'm wrong about that, somebody please tell me.)

But poorly done ones, or really faded ones, or ones that were obtained 300 pounds earlier and have stretched beyond recognition...  sorry, but I just don't think that those are attractive.  I also don't think that kids should get them; they have no clear understanding of what "permanent" really means.

And in my opinion, pierced ears on babies constitute child abuse.

As for the employment issue.....  There are some jobs in which one has to appear likeable and "simpatico" to the business's clients, and if that particular client demographic is such that visible (and unconventional) piercings make them very uncomfortable, the business owner is going to have to take that into account when hiring.  Discriminatory, yes, but the business also needs to stay afloat, and is going to make hiring choices that increase the likelihood of that. 
Public opinion may change, but it takes time.  In order to secure the job we want, some of us may wear particular clothes we hate, get haircuts we dislike, wear makeup when we don't want to or vice versa, and refrain from mentioning some key part of our lifestyle that  an employer might find unappealing...  this is no different.  Sometimes individuality has to stay in our private lives and not be part of the job.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts