Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have my tax info completed within amazon. So I never got any tax info sent to me. My question is - has IRS received this info? And is it possible to tell IRS about this and get an extension without paying a fine?

·
Super Moderator
67,356 Posts
DGS said:
I didn't have my tax info completed within amazon. So I never got any tax info sent to me. My question is - has IRS received this info? And is it possible to tell IRS about this and get an extension without paying a fine?
Chances are the IRS did get sent the info, even if Amazon couldn't send it to you because you neglected to provide them correct information.

But you should have records about what you were paid . . . use that to prepare your return.

(1) You can file an extension for free, but if you expect to owe tax, you need to pay it with the extension. If you don't and then you owe, you will be charged a penalty as well as interest.

(2) If you've filed an extension and included a payment based on an estimate of what you owe, you won't face a penalty, but would be charged interest if you owe more at the filing.

(3) If you are due a refund based on your estimate, there's actually no need for an extension . . . just file the return as soon as you can. But, if your estimate is wrong, and it turns out you owe, see (1) above: you'll owe a penalty as well as interest. PLUS, perhaps, a 'failure to file' penalty which can be larger than the 'failure to pay' penalty.

As to telling the IRS that you didn't get the paperwork from Amazon . . . . they don't care. :( And it won't be any sort of excuse if you fail to include the income in your filing. Especially as you've essentially admitted here that you are aware that there is some income to report.

Best suggestion: contact Amazon NOW and see if they can expedite an update to your account and get the document to you sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If you just use the deposits Amazon made to your account as your income, then you've got a problem. There's a difference between what Amazon deposits (or any vendor) and what they report to IRS. The difference is the foreign currency exchange fees which can be substantial and are deductible.

Have you actually gotten paid without completing your tax info? I can't imagine that Amazon would let that happen.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When Amazon sent my 1099 it was completely inaccurate. They left off my largest month of income which was not a small amount.  I e-mailed them via the regular channels and they immediately e-mailed an apology and had a corrected 1099 to me in the mail within a few days. You have a couple of weeks. Might try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts