Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yahoo! My new novel Stone Song has just gone live on Amazon for Kindle.
Jen is on a journey to meet her co-believers and take part in esoteric ceremonies.
Ty hopes to forget his past and just relax, visit historic sites, catch up with an old friend, and toss down a few pints.
Both are going to Glastonbury, and so travel together from the airport.
They find themselves in the middle of a dangerous situation, aware of new technology being used to control people's emotions and actions.
While they try to counter the threat they also discover each other.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Phil, and congratulations on your book! :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . follow the directions there to be listed. :)

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stone Song will be available for $0.99 for a limited time, until the end of July.
This novel has elements of Thriller, Romance, Adventure, and Scifi, with a touch of the Paranormal; written close to reality, so that I hope to leave readers wondering if this is actually happening right now. This means that things happen in a slightly lower key than is the case in most of the stuff in the Thriller genre.
Reading this won't take you away into another world, but it might cause you to look at this world a bit more closely.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tired of those over-the-top Thrillers, with whiskey drinking hardcore types dragging a model type femme around with guns blazing? Good, because I have something here you might like. No guns, some guts, and low key glory.
Something like this is the way it would be in real life, with real people. The technology actually exists today; I just hope it is not applied in this way. I wouldn't know, though. Would you?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I can say is that seems like a dam_good idea. I thought about writing this one as a mystery, but decided to mix up the genres a bit. I get bored, what can I say? So long as readers don't feel that way, everyone will be happy.
Which is why those looking for an all-action blood and fury type thriller should avoid Stone Song.
For something that might leave you wondering just a bit after reading you should think for a few seconds and then, heck, splurge. Go for reckless indulgence and a $0.99 charge on your card.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An entertaining read that will leave you wondering just how close to reality this story might be.
In 'Stone Song' existing technology is used in a slightly more extensive and sophisticated way than current applications. As far as I know.
Could be in use already, but no-one would tell us, would they?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New first chapter, introducing the Problem right away. Might make the sample more enticing.

Also re-did the blurb.
'A street full of rioters and looters, or model citizens., at the flick of a switch. Let’s hope the answer is out there also, because the technology is very close to reality. Maybe closer than you think.'

Here is the new opening, Ch 1. Stone Song

'I was busy at the ATM, concentrating like you do, when a crash of breaking glass brought me to quivering alertness. I felt as violated as if someone’d kicked open the bathroom door while I was doing my thing.
I looked up, and saw Jen’s back view. Red hair spread across her freckled shoulders and flowed over her back as she turned towards the noise. Her right fist clenched around her water bottle, and then she shifted her grip to hold it like a club.
Across the road there was a confused swirl of hoodie-clad people around the shattered window of a jewellers. Some darted in, grabbed stuff, and slid out again, while others seemed to be venting a grudge against any unbroken glass or intact display. Mindless rage, not just a smash and grab.'

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yowzers, the pace of things is picking up, in August. 'Stone Song' has :-
One review, 4 stars, which says, among other things, "a delightful mix of bizarre, comedy, romance and technological wizardry. Not a long book, it's enjoyable and entertaining, just right for a long flight or quick holiday read."
One sale in the US and
One in the UK
One hopeful writer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here we are, flying along and into September already. The moon is at the half, and waxing, the time of growth and hope.
I am hoping my novel gets noticed this month. Short and even sweet in places, a quick read, and with an interesting premise.
My opinion, of course.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Tara, didn't see your query until today.
To answer your question, which others may share; the use of subliminal sound can be used to induce or enhance emotions in people and animals. Currently some retail outlets broadcast a very high pitched sound around the entrances to their stores. These irritating sounds are audible to young people, but not to adults, and the intention is to dissuade teenagers from hanging around nearby. We all lose the ability to hear higher notes as we age.
I took that, together with research on the effects of low frequency sound on emotions, and postulated that a company might put the various known effects together to produce sound broadcasts that could affect the emotions of hearers in any desired direction.
Naturally, the ability to produce any desired emotion at will in an audience is a form of mind control, and could be used to manipulate the impact of a political speech or cause protesters to become rioters.
So far as I know, research has concentrated more on negative emotions. I went another step, and looked for possible positive efffects, which, of course, is where music and religous prayer, mantras and so on, come in.
In archaeology some research recently has been done in the area of acoustic effects at ancient religous sites, and some powerful and deliberately induced resonances have been found at megaliths, such as Stonehenge, caves with paintings (Lascaux, Tsodilo Hills), Mayan pyramids, and so on.
Of course, all this is giving away plot, but what do I know? Read the book.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Subliminal sound can do a lot, and the effects can be subtle or quite devastating. Currently there is a fuss (in Canada at least) because many claim the low frequency noise from wind turbines causes illness in those who live nearby. The rejoinder is that measurements show only very low noise levels, in terms of decibels. However, no research has been published about possible bad effects of even low levels of certain frequencies.
Stone Song explores some frightening possibilities in the field of subliminal sound, and its effects on us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts