Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited! I had finished my first edit/proofing of my upcoming e-novel Blood Lust. Now it was off to the editor, but when I went to open the CDR where my manuscript was, it would not open! The file is there, it is just locked. If I go to open it, it comes up with 0bytes, but if I check the disc, the computer says the file is completely there! Thank goodness I saved my hard copy of my first edit! So now I'm having to re-type the entire manuscript! Just another day in the life of technology! I see a external hard drive in my future next month!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Argh, worst nightmare. Lucky you had that back-up.

I'm super paranoid about that kind of thing. I'd recommend Dropbox as a handy backup, if you're working on something and get tired of pulling out the USB stick every time you add to it.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Wuzupbury said:
I was so excited! I had finished my first edit/proofing of my upcoming e-novel Blood Lust. Now it was off to the editor, but when I went to open the CDR where my manuscript was, it would not open! The file is there, it is just locked. If I go to open it, it comes up with 0bytes, but if I check the disc, the computer says the file is completely there! Thank goodness I saved my hard copy of my first edit! So now I'm having to re-type the entire manuscript! Just another day in the life of technology! I see a external hard drive in my future next month!
Wait, you wrote the entire book without backing it up somewhere else along the way?

*slaps your wrist* Bad!

There is OCR software out there that might help get it from the hard copy to a file.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
By the way, I'm a little paranoid about this, so I wrote a program that does a two-way synch between two file directories.  So now when I want to transfer work between my home PC and my netbook, I just plug in the jumpdrive, click on the program, and the two directories are automatically synched, including subdirectories.  No files are overwritten, instead they're renamed with a date extension and backed up in a bak directory.  Then I just take the jump drive to the other machine and run the program there.

That way, I have multiple backups, including all the versions over time.

G

·
I downloaded the Writer's Tool extension for Open Office - amazing.  It has a billion backup options.  When you click "multi-format backup," it creates a zip file with your novel as a .doc, .rtf and .txt.  Other backup schemes include, automatic emailing of text, FTP and Amazon S3. 

One click salvation.

·
Registered
816 Posts
As an absolute lazy-man option for backing up, if you really can't be bothered with anything else, simply emailing the document to yourself at the end of each session is a good pick. Plus, if you need to go back to a previous version, they'll all be there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts