Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not a writer....but I'm married to one. Which means I serve as her full time computer geek. I'm wondering if the writers here would be interested in occasional technical suggestions from time to time. I think there are a few other tech folks here that could chime in and contribute as well.

I'm thinking of such topics as:

How to backup my files.
Where to get free virus software.
How to load and test files on your Kindle, Nook, Etc.

Would any of you folks be interested?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I back my files up in a password protected FTP directory on my website and on an external hard drive. Avast Antivirus is a good free AV program. I don't yet have a Kindle!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
I back my files up in a password protected FTP directory on my website and on an external hard drive. Avast Antivirus is a good free AV program. I don't yet have a Kindle!
I backup to CD.
Sometimes I just email the file to myself as an attachemt if I'm in a hurry.
There are sites where you can store you stuff on for free, usually the first GB or so.

I don't know why I back up. Afraid to loose it though never have. Only takes once. I usually use WORD2000 and I've never lost a thing. Simple and stable.

I use Avast too. AVG is also good. Go to Cnet.com>download>anitvirus and check them out. Many are free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Make extra copies and keep them in a safe place. Memory stick, CD, hell, even a floppy... whatever. Just have extras around and make sure they're secure along with what you have on the hard drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For backups we actually do a bunch of things. I have a huge back up drive that automatically backups my key files every day. This includes all of Cheri's books. Then I also rotate through three four-gig USB thumbdrives that I keep in the fire safe.

This may sound like complete overkill, yet once Cheri was done with a book and we publish it we also print out a copy and file it away in the fire proof safe. It doesn't take up that much room and if all of my technology fails me - at least I can OCR it back in if I had to.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm definitely down for a techie tutorial.

Maybe you should make a blog, and have all of your posts/info in one spot so it's accessible to all us indies.

:]

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
drewschmidt said:
So I'm not a writer....but I'm married to one. Which means I serve as her full time computer geek. I'm wondering if the writers here would be interested in occasional technical suggestions from time to time. I think there are a few other tech folks here that could chime in and contribute as well.

I'm thinking of such topics as:

How to backup my files.
Where to get free virus software.
How to load and test files on your Kindle, Nook, Etc.

Would any of you folks be interested?
Drew, if you're willing to suggest things, you'll have a rapt audience! There are many authors who need you here!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I use Dropbox.com. It saves a folder on each computer you own and when you save a file on one computer Dropbox.com will save and distribute it to all of my computers. So I can write for a while on my laptop, and then continue that same story on my desktop. If my laptop blows up all my files are up-to-date on my desktop. And if a tornado blows all my computers away Dropbox.com has all my work saved on their servers.

I used to use a flash drive, but I'd forget to bring it and then be stuck not having my files. Plus I was nervous I would lose it.

Vicki

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.