Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've come such a long way.  My dad is going to be 82 next month and he is so blown away by technology.  He remembers when all the streets around here were were non existent and the few that were, were dirt roads; and now he can't believe that I do not put film in my camera and that over a thousand pictures are on a tiny card the size of a postage stamp.

He is mezmorized by the Kindle.  He just can't believe that what would normally take up shelf after shelf is all contained in this little electrical unit...and we can add more with the mere push of a couple of buttons. He recalls world war II and says boy we would have loved that.  It would have been the best thing since sliced bread...Guess what dad; it is.  It really is.

He is computer literate, operates a dvd player, a dvr and still can't get over that there are hundreds of tv channels and in color.  The day he got his first remote control operated tv; I thought he was going to hire a band. He and my mother would watch Lawrence Welk and be in heaven because the singers wore matching colors.  We really have come a long way and it is so cute to see him get so excited over a new electronic.  It's like watching a little kid in a candy store.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, the first time my grandmother encountered my backpack, she was rather astonished by it's contents. Laptop, cellphone, digital camera, gameboy, electronic translator, iPod, scientific calculator, so on and so forth. Heaven forbid I forget the chargers. You know, I've often wondered about that. What if we do find our selves in an apoctoliptic (sp??) sort of world, and there are no available outlets to charge our gadgets?? Then it would really be the end of the world! This thought alone is what is making me consider investing in a solar charger...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes without electricity everyone panics.  During hurricane Ike, we were without power for 5 days, it was horrible!  Being with lights and electricity and even water for a few days was so weird.  I had to recharge my cell phone in my car and I didn't have a backup battery for my laptop.  I think I too will be looking into something solar powered to charge all of my various electronic devices.  If you find a good product let me know. 

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a really really good book by S.M. Stirling called (I think) "Dies the Fire" that looks at what the world would be like if electricity and explosions (i.e., gunpowder) were suddenly made impossible. Highly recommended.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I've got my grandmother's treadle sewing machine and a pair of scissors, so I could at least make quilts during the daylight hours!  There are other things to do in the dark.  ;)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
happypuppy007 said:
Yes without electricity everyone panics. During hurricane Ike, we were without power for 5 days, it was horrible! Being with lights and electricity and even water for a few days was so weird. I had to recharge my cell phone in my car and I didn't have a backup battery for my laptop. I think I too will be looking into something solar powered to charge all of my various electronic devices. If you find a good product let me know.
Hey, we were without power for 5 days during Ike, too!! We must be "neighbors!" Also charged the cell phone in the car and for the first time used the data services on my smart phone sincer I had no internet or computer! We are seriously considering adding some sort of solar power here, but will certainly invest in a generator before winter. We recently built a home in the country and have been told that winter ice storms tend to take out the power here.

Angela

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had the same thought this summer as my grandpa celebrated his 100th birthday.  We had a professional video presentation of not only the party/well-wishers' messages, but of his life (well as far as we could go since his life was devasted by a big war and lost nearly all of his family members and family history information)...and there were pictures of the EARLY 'cell phones' (remember when they were so huge and bulky that you could barely fit it in a briefcase?)...or the first Nintendo...ha-ha!  I remember when we got our first Commedor (sp-check) computer with the monotone monitors.  Though my experience with technology/gadgets were a bit skewed as my father would regularly travel to Japan and bring us back the latest stuff.  I mean I had one of the first CD players (which had a neat remote control) and used a large rectangular nickel (or lithium...not sure) battery...which was also it's downside as there was really no such thing in the state until 2-3 years later.

Tris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts