Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.  I just skinned Radar with a custom Tego and probably won't go that route again because it took just too darn long to make and get here for the price.

My question is whether the "material" of the Decalgirl skins is basically the same as the Tego.  The Tego is much more shiny than I expected it to be and actually creates an annoying glare when a light is necessary for reading  :(.  Do the Decalgirl skins have a more matte finish?  I know there are several out there who have used both, but I haven't seen this addressed as a concern for anyone else.  Opinions please before I try a Decalgirl instead.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I can't say for certain as I'm still waiting on my DecalGirl skin & haven't seen a Tego in person, but I've yet to see any type of aftermarket skin for any device in a matte finish. The DecalGirl website mentions a high gloss finish under their Skinning Demystified page (http://www.decalgirl.com/page.htm?PG=skins101) so I would assume that it would reflect glare as well.

I have this same issue with our HDTV--all the manufacturers this year seem to have gotten together & decided that the frame around the screen should be glossy black plastic--just right for showing fingerprints, attracting dust, and you guessed it, serious glare over a much larger square footage than the Kindle. I thought about the problem with skinning the K2, but realistically, I'm already tilting it one way and another as I read to eliminate glare on the screen and if I can tune it out on a much larger TV, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tune it out while reading.

I'll know more tomorrow though when my skin arrives. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Not too sure about the Tego, but I've seen DecalGirl in person and there seems to be no glare issues. Perhaps others can give more insight.  :)

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.  I've decided it was just a matter of getting used to the skin and the glare is not so annoying after all.  I think I was spending too much time being drawn to how good the skin looked and when I got back to actually reading it wasn't so noticeable.  Decalgirls will definitely be on order as soon as some of the new designs are available for KK.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I think the big problem with tego, is they are in Canada and as we know, it is hard to get your hands on Kindle
when your out of the country. I did get a custom skin and it did take a while. I was one of the people that had to point out the mistakes they made in designing the back. (Originally they did not allow for the battery cover) Anyway, they were very nice, even though it took a while. Over all I was happy though, there was a texture to the skin, DG's do not have.
I am going to try a custom skin from DG, which they plan to offer in a few weeks, though I did order one, so I will probably wait a while.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Octochick said:
Over all I was happy though, there was a texture to the skin, DG's do not have.
Thanks for noting this difference Octochick. My Tego also has a texture - kind of like little dimples even though it looks smooth at first glance. The dimples may make a significant difference in the way the light reflects and causes more glare rather than the vinyl itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts