Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by my Younger Gen Aversion to Kindle thread it got me thinking:

What is it about reading that you e njoy and what inspired you to enjoy reading? Have you always loved it or was it a latter in life hobby?

I personally had a very hard time learning to read. While my peers were excelling in Reading I didn't fully grasp the concept until well into 3rd grade.....once I did however I took off like a rocket and read everything I could get my hands on. From that point forward my reading comprehension/reading level was always above grade level and I excelled in English.
I cannot fully say what it is I enjoy so much about reading......but I think it comes down to a] seeing the world and new situations through the eyes of books and B] expanding my knowledge of concepts and ideas I've never looked into before on my own. 8)

Care to share?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have read as far back as I can remember. Always enjoyed the printed word. As to what reading does for me, depends on why I am reading. For education: learning about something that interests me, or information that I need to know. For entertainment, becoming immersed in other places, times or worlds is my goal. I can forget about the mundane for a while. The Kindle helps me to enjoy reading even more.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
My mother has always been an avid reader.  When I was 10 years old, I made the decision to be a reader like her and I'm very glad I did. 

Reading is knowledge. Reading is meeting new people, new places, new concepts and ideas.  When you read, you always have something to talk about, something to think about and even sometimes, it leads to more research and more knowledge.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I started school in England when I was five {69 years ago! My! Time flies when you are having fun! ;)}and by then I was reading fluently. {If course, at that age I was basically a really good decoder and word caller--comprehension took a while to catch up!}I can actually never remember anyone teaching me to read and cannot remember a time when I couldn't read.

I know that for a long time I read to avoid what was going on in my life. My mother was an alcoholic and school was probably the only safe place for a long time.

Now I read for enjoyment. And my kindle has been part of getting me back to this.

patrisha

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well, I had a strange childhood with a mother who has problems of her own that a child can't deal with.  I read all the time!  I don't know what actually started my love for reading, but I think my earliest memory is Nancy Drew books.  My BFF from grade school and I would walk downtown to the bookstore and buy a Nancy Drew each and then sit on her front porch and each read the one we bought then switch.  :)  I was also big into Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume!

Of course, my tastes grew as I did.  When I married at 20, I had pretty much left reading in the past.  I didn't pick it up again until about 2 years ago when I started my new job.  I had an hour lunch in a strange town by myself so I joined the library and read every day.  The Kindle appeared late last fall on my radar even though I didn't get it until February.  It changed my life for the better and the light weight is an unexpected bonus that I never thought would matter to me.  Of, course, who knew that I would have joint pain to this extreme even 6 months ago?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I've always read, when I was a kid, I would read the cereal boxes if I didn't have a book.  I guess I could read some when I started school, the school told Mom she had prepared me well; I think we always read.  I would go to the library and leave with 20 books, the librarian would ask if I would read them all and my father would say firmly, yes she will.  I always had a book with me at school, too, and would frequently read under the desk and then get caught when I didn't hear the teacher ask me a question. ::)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oh yes, Betsy!!  Your post reminded me of the days when I was so engrossed in a book in grade (high) school during reading time, that once it was over, I couldn't close it and would get in trouble for reading under my desk and not paying attention!!!

Memories....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL Wow I also hid books under my desk and would read them during class. Although [when caught] my teachers seemed a bit annoyed I don't think they were ever as annoyed as they were if someone was caught listening to an Ipod/CD Player/ gameboy. :D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Hey KindleKid, least you did not have to have room to unroll the scroll like I did. ;)
On a serious note, (sort of) I got my first calculator in college, Texas Instruments.
It had the basic math functions, squares and square roots, Pi and I believe that was about it. Only cost $110 dollars and the battery would last about 3 hours, so I kept it plugged in most of the time. It was a waste of money for my chemistry class because there we had to use a slide rule.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
intinst (or 1204 if you prefer) said:
Hey KindleKid, least you did not have to have room to unroll the scroll like I did. ;)
In Harry Potter, that is they way it is!!!

I would love to visit Hogwarts....

I would love to read Harry on Kindle....but that is for another thread on another day...

(EDIT: WOW! Just noticed that this is post #600 for me!!)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
KindleKay (aka #1652) said:
In Harry Potter, that is they way it is!!!

I would love to visit Hogwarts....

I would love to read Harry on Kindle....but that is for another thread on another day...

(EDIT: WOW! Just noticed that this is post #600 for me!!)
Congrats, I hit a milestone today as well, not that anyone noticed. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I don't know if I count as the younger generation or not.  I just turned 34, but am a voracious reader. I completely credit my mom with my love of reading.  I only hope I can pass that same love of reading on to my future children.  I think it's one of the best gifts a parent can give their child.  

I'm the oldest of 3 children & I think I benefited by Mom being a stay at home mom until after my youngest sibling was born.  She read to me constantly.  So, I knew my ABC's by age 2 & was reading my mom's old Nancy Drew books by the time I hit kindergarten.  She didn't set out to teach me, it just happened.  Consequently, the teachers did NOT know what to do with me when I got into grade school.  Mrs. Hamm, my first grade teacher, would often send me to the library to pick out a big kid's book to read to keep me quiet while the other kids were going through their Dick & Jane readers & trying to learn how to read.  Yes, I am just old enough to have had those in school.   ;D  

I never got in trouble for talking in class, I was always in trouble for reading in class.  Reading everything but what I was supposed to be reading.  The elementary school librarian cried on the last day of fifth grade when I left the school.  We had a very special relationship & she always used to tell me I was her best customer.  

At the town library I outgrew the kids' library cards by 3rd grade & had to have an adult card issued by special exception at that time.  Kids were limited to 5 books, adults could have 20.  My mom used to have to take me to the library once a week even on an adult card.  

I love reading so much that I absolutely cannot stand to be without a book to read at all times.  If I don't have a book to read, I feel lost and at odds.  It's an escape, relaxation, a vacation, a journey, a way to make new acquaintances, and a lesson all at the same time.  It's the mental engagement, the interplay of words on a page, be it a paper or electronic page.  I would be bereft without books.  They have been such an integral and constant part of my life from such a very young age.  Books are a huge part of who I am.  

*Edit*  Betsy & Pom, we were much alike as kids it seems.  Seems weird a kid can be in trouble for reading, of all things.  But there you have it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My mother was a teacher until she got married.  When I was in kindegarten and first grade, she felt my teacher was not doing a very good job of teaching me to read.  Back in those days we did not have television and we did not have electricity, as such.  We had a windcharger.  After dinner was over and the dishes were done, we sat in the living room.  Dad listened to the radio and read the paper.  My mother and I sat on the couch and I read to her.  I loved reading to Mom.  She taught me about phonix and the meaning of words.  We laughed together at silly things.  To this day, these are memories that I cherish.  

By the time my brothers arrived the Rural Electric Association had made electricity a reality on our isolated ranch.

Mom was a great reader and believed in taking a book with her wherever she went.  She told me I would never be bored or alone if I had a book to read.  She made sure that books were always available.  I can't think of a more important gift to give a child.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I grew up in a house with my mother and grandmother and they were both readers. My mother read me Jaws as a bedtime story, leaving in all the gore, but editing out the swear words.

It must have been first grade when the teacher said we could take a book home for the weekend, I don't know how many times I read it to my family, but people made a big deal out of my ability to read. Even though I had trouble believing the word "said" -- kept thinking it had to spell something else.

I read my favorite books repeatedly and adult books, too. The grown-up books included historical romances and Stephen King. The former filled in blanks for me -- oooooh, it gets hard -- and was instrumental in my development. The only book I was forbidden to read was the autobiography of Linda Lovelace, and I was just about adult by them, so while I understood it also seemed like a dubious time to begin to censor my reading.

While I liked the occasional classics growing up -- Eyre sisters, Steinbeck, Harper Lee -- most of the stuff I read was popular fiction and Harlequins. Oh, and VC Andrews. I caught a lot of grief from teachers for the books I brought to school, and in their defense I was reading them while other things were to be learned, still it surprised me to discover that some types of books were less well-regarded. I got the impression that a few educators would rather I not read at all if the alternative was "bodice rippers."

Frankly, my teen years were traumatic and I needed the escape.

In recent years, my family as told me they were disappointed I didn't go to college, but it didn't seem like there was encouragement at the applicable time. I made a point to educate myself and can either legitimately hold my own in most conversations or can fake it. :D

Several years ago, my MIL told me I could not be much company for her son, because I read too much. My husband seems okay with it though. :)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I don't remember how old I was when I started reading and can't remember a time when I didn't read.  The first book I remember reading was Sleeping Beauty (hence my oldest daughters name Dawn and my KK Aurora).  I was sick at home with the Chicken Pox and was out of school for about 3 weeks (they wouldn't let you back in school until all scabs were gone) My parents brought home the most beautiful book I had ever seen and I could not put it down.  The library was a favorite place to go when I was a child.  I always have a book with me.  My husband would buy a book and it would take him weeks to finish it I on the other hand would read several books in a week, he couldn't believe how many books I could read but never said I couldn't buy one.

My reading is for pleasure and I can get lost in a book and lose all track of time.  The only draw back to the Kindleboards is that I have been enjoying reading and posting here so much lately that I have not been doing much book/kindle reading.  Brassman has been leading a book klub for his book Distant Cousin and I have not been reading enough to keep up with the klub (and to think I was one of them who said that the klub was moving too slow at one time).  I will say that if you have not read Distant Cousin that I have found the story to be very entertaining and highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
intinst (or 1204 if you prefer) said:
Congrats, I hit a milestone today as well, not that anyone noticed. :(
Wow, did you go over 1000 today??? And you're up to 1074 already??? WOOHOO! I wonder what the record for most posts in a single day is...

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
What can I say, I've been home and on a roll all day. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts