Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if there is a post already that answers my questions..
Kindle has been on my wish list for a while now, but there are some things that I am curious about that Amazon.com doesn't explain. For example, how is the home screen set up? Is there a special list of books that you are currently reading, and how does the Kindle differentiate what you are currently reading from what you have already finished? Does it know when you turn the last "page" that you are finished? I have EVDO signals at my house but I'm not sure it is Sprint coverage - does this matter? I can successfully download music on my cell phone at my house (Verizon service) so hopefully I could connect to download books on my (future) Kindle. I do have other questions, but of course they have fled my mind. Also, screenshots would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your info!
-Molly

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Miss Molly said:
Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if there is a post already that answers my questions..
Kindle has been on my wish list for a while now, but there are some things that I am curious about that Amazon.com doesn't explain. For example, how is the home screen set up? Is there a special list of books that you are currently reading, and how does the Kindle differentiate what you are currently reading from what you have already finished? Does it know when you turn the last "page" that you are finished? I have EVDO signals at my house but I'm not sure it is Sprint coverage - does this matter? I can successfully download music on my cell phone at my house (Verizon service) so hopefully I could connect to download books on my (future) Kindle. I do have other questions, but of course they have fled my mind. Also, screenshots would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your info!
-Molly
Hi Molly, Other's can probably provide more detail but here's a stab an answering some of your questions.

Home Screen: Can be sorted by newest first or alphabetically by title or author. Different folks prefer different methods. A nearly universal wish for version 2 is a more detailed folder system. You can really only sort books from periodicals. In the "content manager" section there's a little more sorting available: you can show what's on your Kindle, what's on your SD card if you have one, and what's at Amazon (they keep a back up of everything you buy from them.)

You know how much of any title you have read because there's a row of dots that shows relatively how far you are into it. If you set the home page to show newest first, the ones you're actively reading will usually be on the first page. When you get to the last page the row of dots will all be bolded so you'll know you've read it. While reading a row of dots also shows relatively where you are. But, be aware, if you get to the end, then decide to go back to something in the first chapter, Kindle will think you've only just started. So you need to work out your own method for marking things you've finished reading. I tend to just delete them since I know Amazon still has them in case I want them back. For non-amazon purchased books, I usually have a copy of them on my computer as well as my Kindle.

I believe there's a Sprint coverage Map somewhere on Amazon. . . someone else can probably provide you a link. If you're in or near a major city you're probably o.k. If you're more rural you may not have coverage but can always download books via a USB cable from your computer. It does need to be Sprint as that's the wireless company Amazon has contracted with.

What else do you need to know?

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Miss Molly,

Welcome...glad to have you here!

That's quite a list of questions. We do have an FAQ here that I am slowly building. That should answer some of your questions. Here's a link. http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,285.0.html

To answer some of your other questions:

1. The Kindle doesn't differentiate between what you are currently reading vs. finished. But you can sort your home page in a variety of ways. I usually use "most recent first" which keeps my active books and newspapers at the top of the list. Things I have finished reading (and am not opening) drift down lower.

2. The last page is ...the last page. It is usually blank. When I read my New York Times, when I get to the last page, it goes back to the front page. Then I know I am done.

3. Don't worry about Sprint vs. EVDO. The Kindle will connect if it can find a signal. I posted a coverage map on the FAQ thread that might help you.

Here are a few screenshots:

A page of text:

A page from the content manager:

Front page of this morning's New York Times:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Those screen shots rock Leslie!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Oh, I *love* seeing those screenshots!

I didn't know that Kindle had a way of capturing screenshots. This opens up a lot of possibilities...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Harvey said:
Oh, I *love* seeing those screenshots!

I didn't know that Kindle had a way of capturing screenshots. This opens up a lot of possibilities...
Ok, I love that I'm learning new computer things each day but this evening's lesson was a tough one...should I even ask how THIS is done???? :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!
I don't live near a large city, but I am within 30 minutes of Hanover, NH (where Dartmouth College is located). I get full cell phone service there (well I do get full service in the town where I live too, but minimal service - both 1x and EVDO - at my house). Amazon's coverage map does show that Hanover is covered, but I'm not sure how accurate the map is... Hopefully I'd be very lucky and could connect at my house! The idea of being able to buy and have a book delivered in less than a minute is very exciting! However, even if I couldn't Kindle shop wirelessly at my house, at least I could still upload them via the USB cable, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Now I just have to decide whether I want to get the model that is available now, or wait for the next one - I am a little apprehensive about the next model, as I've read rumors about the SD expansion slot being taken away, as well as the ability to charge with a wall adaptor (I hate having to plug into my computer to charge a device). I don't know if these things are true or not, but if they are then I would like to get the current model. Have you heard anything about the new Kindle?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info!
I like the idea of the dots letting you know how much you've read so far. I think what I would do if I finished a book then went back to an early chapter to check something is go back to the last chapter of the book and turn the pages so that it would be marked as "finished" again.
I did have more questions, but I can't remember them right now... Will post them when they come back to me!
-Molly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Miss Molly said:
Now I just have to decide whether I want to get the model that is available now, or wait for the next one - I am a little apprehensive about the next model, as I've read rumors about the SD expansion slot being taken away, as well as the ability to charge with a wall adaptor (I hate having to plug into my computer to charge a device). I don't know if these things are true or not, but if they are then I would like to get the current model. Have you heard anything about the new Kindle?
The Kindle movers and shakers have stated there won't be a Version 2 until "sometime in 2009" with no specific date announced. The rumors to which you refer are based on some pictures posted on a site that claimed they were of Version 2. This is completely unsubstantiated. Since Amazon has said there is no new version to be released in the near future, most of us believe those pictures were probably an iteration of version 1 before it became what it is today. I would seriously doubt that Amazon would do away with the SD slot or the ability to charge with a wall adaptor. The present version is a fantastic piece of equipment that I'm certain you, like so many others, would be delighted with.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Like Linda said, I think those pictures of the alleged version 2 were complete fakes. Molly, I think you should just jump in with both feet and join the Kindle Klub. My suspicion is that you would have the wireless. Even if you don't have it at home, it sounds like you would get it when you go to town. If you are like the rest of us, you'll have your Kindle with you all the time anyway, so when you go to town, just flip the switch and voila! Everything will download. It's really amazing and it happens so fast.

Good luck and keep us posted!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Miss Molly said:
Thanks for the info!
I like the idea of the dots letting you know how much you've read so far. I think what I would do if I finished a book then went back to an early chapter to check something is go back to the last chapter of the book and turn the pages so that it would be marked as "finished" again.
I did have more questions, but I can't remember them right now... Will post them when they come back to me!
-Molly
You wouldn't have to turn the pages. Just bring up the option for "Go to location" and put in the number of the last location in the book. That will take you to the end. For this particular book, the number would be 5061.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
chynared21 said:
Ok, I love that I'm learning new computer things each day but this evening's lesson was a tough one...should I even ask how THIS is done???? :p
I'll go start a thread explaining how over on the tips & tricks board. It's incredibly easy.

L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts