Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other fans out there? LuckyRainbow and I have become rabid devotees.

As you might be able to tell, I am a lifelong Douglas Adams fan. In my journeys across the Interwebs, I would meet people who suggested that I might also like Pratchett's work. Unfortunately (for me), the same people thought I'd like the books of Robert Asprin. After reading one of Asprin's celebration of puns in a fantasy setting, I wrote off Pratchett as well, never giving him a chance.

Then I finally met this SMART guy online. ;) Upon his recommendation, I read Good Omens, co-written by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. And my life changed. Essentially a parody of the book/movie The Omen, Good Omens was the single funniest book I had read since Life, the Universe and Everything.

So I sought out The Discworld.

It turns out that Terry Pratchett was the single bestselling author in England for over a decade until JK Rowling came along. And with good reason. He does to the fantasy genre what Douglas Adams did to sci-fi... only deeper, more meaningful, and just as funny. After the first few books, you begin to realize that Pratchett isn't merely a comic novelist, but a brilliant satirist. He is able to mock every human institution from capitalism to racism to technology to feminism to the fantasy genre itself by holding a comic-fantastic mirror up to our own world and our bizarre behavior and obsessions.

All of Pratchett's work is available on Kindle. A few of them are children's novels or YA books. Even those are a delight.

Please tlle me that LR and I aren't the only ones......

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jmiked said:
I'm a fan also. If I didn't have all his books in printed version, I would certainly get them for the Kindle.
We own the entire series in "dead tree" format. As well as his Tiffany Aching books.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Guilty. I too, own all of Discworld. Even the silly illustrated ones. And the Tiffany Aching books. I prefer the Guards books and the Rincewind stuff. Oh, and anything Death is in. Granny Weatherwax is ok. Some of the one-offs have been pretty good too. It's very sad to think that Making Money might be the last.

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ is a great place to hang out.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ScottBooks said:
Guilty. I too, own all of Discworld. Even the silly illustrated ones. And the Tiffany Aching books. I prefer the Guards books and the Rincewind stuff. Oh, and anything Death is in. Granny Weatherwax is ok. Some of the one-offs have been pretty good too. It's very sad to think that Making Money might be the last.

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ is a great place to hang out.
Guards, Guards is probably my favorite of the whole series. LuckyRainbow tends to prefer the Rincewind and Witch books. And she's fallen a little in love with Moist. Me, I'm a Sam Vimes fan, along with Rincewind.

Guards, Guards

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
It does seem like there are a lot of his works available on Kindle. Is there one that I should read first or that you all recommend more than another? I'm intrigued. His website sounds excellent, and he does say you can jump in almost anywhere....

The Color of Magic
is only $1.98 on Kindle!

Betsy

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Betsy: The Colour of Magic is the first book in the series and a good place to start. It introduces you to Rincewind, one of Pratchett's most beloved characters, as well as introducing you to the Discworld itself.

Chyna: The game was also my real introduction to Discworld. It is largely based on the book Guards, Guards!

Guards, Guards

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the record, there are actually three Discworld PC point-and-click adventure games. As I said, the first game is based on the book Guards, Guards! Discworld II is based mostly on the book Moving Pictures. Then there is the game Discworld Noir, which isn't really based on any of the books but was inspired by the character of Angua the Werewolf,

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Betsy: The Colour of Magic is the first book in the series and a good place to start. It introduces you to Rincewind, one of Pratchett's most beloved characters, as well as introducing you to the Discworld itself.

Chyna: The game was also my real introduction to Discworld. It is largely based on the book Guards, Guards!
That's good to know Jim...thanks for the bit of history.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chynared21 said:
That's good to know Jim...thanks for the bit of history.
That's what I'm here for.

I guess I should also mention that the protagonist Rincewind in the games Discworld and Discworld II is hilariously voiced by Eric Idle of Monty Python.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
That's what I'm here for.

I guess I should also mention that the protagonist Rincewind in the games Discworld and Discworld II is hilariously voiced by Eric Idle of Monty Python.
DH would be happy to know that...I've never been able to get into Monty Python though I was willing to sit through Spamalot for him.
Thankfully that fell through :p

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chynared21 said:
DH would be happy to know that...I've never been able to get into Monty Python though I was willing to sit through Spamalot for him.
Thankfully that fell through :p
"I have no response to that."

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am a very long-time Pterry Pratchett fan (we old-time fans dubbed him Pterry after "Pyramids" came out, with all its "Pt" words.) He is most definitely an absolute genius. Sadly, he also has an early-onset form of Alsheimers, which is beginning to impact his ability to write.

I discovered Pratchett's books back when I worked for Unilever (Lever Brothers) in NY, and used to travel to the UK several times a year. A guy I worked with there was a huge fan, lent me "The Colour of Magic" and I was hooked. How could you not love the Luggage, which is made of sapient pearwood and follows its owner around on hundreds of little legs? Or the wonderful Watch characters of Ankh-Morpork, whose ranks include (due to affirmative action directives) humans, trolls, gnomes, gargoyles, at least one werewolf, and of course Captain Vimes (who is human) and Corporal Nobbs (who it is anyone's guess as to what he is).

Read him. You will not be disappointed.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
For the record, there are actually three Discworld PC point-and-click adventure games. As I said, the first game is based on the book Guards, Guards! Discworld II is based mostly on the book Moving Pictures. Then there is the game Discworld Noir, which isn't really based on any of the books but was inspired by the character of Angua the Werewolf,
For those interested, I found these on Amazon, both Playstation 2:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Khabita said:
I am a very long-time Pterry Pratchett fan (we old-time fans dubbed him Pterry after "Eric" came out, with all its "Pt" words.) He is most definitely an absolute genius. Sadly, he also has an early-onset form of Alsheimers, which is beginning to impact his ability to write.

I discovered Pratchett's books back when I worked for Unilever (Lever Brothers) in NY, and used to travel to the UK several times a year. A guy I worked with there was a huge fan, lent me "The Colour of Magic" and I was hooked. How could you not love the Luggage, which is made of sapient pearwood and follows its owner around on hundreds of little legs? Or the wonderful Watch characters of Ankh-Morpork, whose ranks include (due to affirmative action directives) humans, trolls, gnomes, gargoyles, at least one werewolf, and of course Captain Vimes (who is human) and Corporal Nobbs (who it is anyone's guess as to what he is).

Read him. You will not be disappointed.
I think you mean Pyramids. ;) Eric is the Faust takeoff where young Eric summons the "demon" Rincewind back from the Dungeon Dimensions to do his bidding.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chynared21 said:
Wow Betsy...I didn't realize they released it for PS. I thought it was only for the PC. Thanks!
That's how I first discovered the Discworld: the PS version of the first game. I believe that Discworld Noir is only available for PC, however.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts