Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to avoid making potential customers go through the hassle of searching their local version of Amazon due to the link taking them to a different country's site I used a plugin on Wordpress to change the domain accordingly. However due to my hosting site being a bit dodgy it took all kinds of hassle to set up.

Anyway, if I could get someone in the US to test this page: http://www.mcinsley.com/books/ and tell me where the Amazon links on the books point you to I would appreciate it. I think it is working but using a proxy to test it is never a surefire thing.

Also there may be issues with adblock software so if the link's do not work as intended and point you to your local version of Amazon let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'm in France and it sends me to amazon.fr  :)
Works for me!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Masha du Toit said:
I'm not in the US but here in South Africa we also use .com. It took me to .com.
Yeah it is pretty good. Basically sends all other traffic to the .com if there isn't a local store. Thanks for testing it.

kiazishiru said:
It sends me to the .com, I'm in the UK so it should send me to the UK store.
There is a slight delay on it updating the links. I set them to .coms by default, on the basis that they are more widely used. It runs the script once the page is fully loaded and replaces them. Although if you had some kind of script blocker this would also occur. I am in the UK and it is working fine for me but I could do with improving the page speed a little so the loading time isn't so noticeable.

Thanks for testing it. Good to hear it is (mostly) working.
I got the plugin here if anyone is interested: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/amazon-affiliate-link-localizer/

·
Registered
855 Posts
sent me to amazon.fr too.
What's the plug in name?
I would try it to save time. Now I have a link per amazon country.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lady_O said:
sent me to amazon.fr too.
What's the plug in name?
I would try it to save time. Now I have a link per amazon country.
Amazon Affiliate Link Localizer
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/amazon-affiliate-link-localizer/

Assuming you are using Wordpress that is. Besides from Fasthosts predictably causing unnecessary problems the only issue I had is that adblock blocks it, I imagine because of the 'amazon affiliate' in the name as it also blocks the affiliate links automatically generated from Amazon. The name is easy enough to change though.

Of course the real issue here is that Amazon does not just auto direct users...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Think we can say it is definitely working now.

I did email Amazon as to inquire why their 'Continue shopping on the Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk.' button on the right simply links to the store search and not the product you clearly are trying to buy... but they just came back with one of those answers which isn't really an answer at all and is simply a rewording of your original question as if it were one...

Clearly they think it is logical and unfortunately I am not an international conglomerate and hence my words have little weight. I think the fact that so many authors link to their product on multiple versions of Amazon would indicate that this does not seem logical to... anyone. People are pretty fickle and in the space of time it takes someone to copy and paste your title into a new Amazon search they might just get bored or distracted by something else (the latter of which I would say is Amazon's evil reasoning behind this).

This plugin (not mine by the way) is a way around that, on Wordpress at least.
Thanks for helping me get it working. Fasthosts hates me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts