Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that text to speech drains the battery too.  I traveled out of town this weekend and there were several times that my kindle 2could not connect to the whispernet.  I really do not understand how it connects so I don't know if it was because I was on the highway or was just timing out.  Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Sure the text to speech drains the battery fast. It has to use significant (for the battery) power to drive the speaker/earphones/whatever, unlike page turns, which only use power to actually change the page, not to maintain it.

It's just like a cell phone..... If you are driving down the highway you can have connection dropouts for a variety of reasons. Sunspots, going out of coverage area, passing semi trucks, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use my Text to Speech daily, albeit not for great lengths at a time, but my battery still lasts a couple of weeks. (I rarely turn wireless on)

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
And, just in case it isn't completely clear:  there is no need to have WN on to use the Kindle either for traditional reading or 'listening' via Text to speech. . . . . .

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have heard you save significantly on the battery usage of TTS if you put it in sleep mode.  It will continue reading but it won't turn the pages, so you save a lot on battery.  A pretty reliable poster on the other side says he does this and the battery use from TTS is negligable.  Whispernet and book indexing seem to be the big battery hogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts