Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that the text-to-speech feature is a software-only feature.

If I am correct about that, does that mean it could become available for Kindle 1?

I think it might. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
It probably could be, but I doubt it will be. It's easily the killer app of the K2 feature set.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Possible if it is a software feature rather than a new piece of hardware. But I agree with CS. It doesn't seem like they would upgrade the Kindle 1.0 with it now, not when they can entice you into buying the Kindle 2.0 for the feature.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that Amazon isn't too interested in improving K1. If they were they could have delayed the 1.2 update and included text to speech now. I don't expect a whole lot more.

Steve

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hmmmmm scratches head in deep thought...5th cup of tea.  Glad I had today off.  My boss would have fired me for the jitters I've got.  Very good question H.  Hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
According to the User's Guide for K2, it is using RealSpeak Solo for text-to-speech.  According to the RealSpeak web page, for Windows, it requires a certain level of sound card. For WinCE, it requires a specific processor, but not all features work. The Kindle runs Linux, so it is unclear what the requirement is for that.

I'm guessing that it is not 100% software.  It sounds horrible, anyway.  If I were that visually impaired, I don't see why you'd want to pay for an expensive e-ink screen???  A mini-laptop would probably be better.  If you are that visually impaired, how could you see the Kindle menu screens to select books, etc.?  At least, on Windows, it reads the whole screen to you, including menus, so that you can figure out what to select.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I think it would be nice to have towards the evening, before I go to bed and I want to finish a chapter and I can't because my eyes have reached their maximum focus abilities for the day. At some point I just can't do it anymore, I can still see the menu and all, but can't focus continually to read. I don't think its a substitute for eyes, but a help.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Atunah said:
I think it would be nice to have towards the evening, before I go to bed and I want to finish a chapter and I can't because my eyes have reached their maximum focus abilities for the day. At some point I just can't do it anymore, I can still see the menu and all, but can't focus continually to read. I don't think its a substitute for eyes, but a help.
at that point atunah you need to quit and go to bed and sleep! :-X when I do that I have to re-read it tomorrow anyway because my mind shut down and I don't remember anything ???

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I wouldn't want to fall asleep with the darn things in my ears and roll over. Nope when I get droopy eyed...I want to sleep.

SusanCassidy: Good point...but portability and whispernet are great things. Some visually impaired people who travel would rather carry just a Kindle rather than a computer.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Anju said:
at that point atunah you need to quit and go to bed and sleep! :-X when I do that I have to re-read it tomorrow anyway because my mind shut down and I don't remember anything ???
lol. Its not just me being tired though. Even during the day, my eyes lose ability to focus and I have to close them, look in the distance, do anything else as I can't focus anymore. Its just the way my eyes work.

I hear you though about getting tired and trying to read and comprehend. Doesn't work lol. The other day I read a chapter and I swear I thought I was totally awake, I remember everything else, but I had to re read the chapter as I couldn't recall anything. I just wonder where in my brain all that info went lol

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
According to the User's Guide for K2, it is using RealSpeak Solo for text-to-speech. According to the RealSpeak web page, for Windows, it requires a certain level of sound card. For WinCE, it requires a specific processor, but not all features work. The Kindle runs Linux, so it is unclear what the requirement is for that.
I am also doubting that the original processor could handle it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did you listen to the text to speech? It's like having a conversation with a computer, but not too bad. It's a good feature for those with disabilities or if you are real tired (go to bed Atunah,) but I think I would prefer buying an audio book (sometimes they do voices :).) I don't know if it was here or on the other side, but someone said it would be good for cooking if you didn't want to put the book down, but I think it could be good for reading directions of how to make something (maybe that's what they meant.) Or it could be good for little kids learning how to read. Reading along can be helpful. Oh well just a few thoughts.

LSbookend

·
Registered
40 Posts
My initial reaction to hearing about the text to speech capability was, "Eh, so what?"  The more I think about it though...

If I ran a patch cable from the headphone jack of the kindle to the aux in of a car stereo (on one of the newer ones that have them) then I could have my kindle read to me while I'm driving on road trips over the car audio system.  I'm not sure that it's something I'd do very often, but the thought is intriguing.

Jonathan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts