Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with one book in Sept of 2011 and I made $22 that month, I kept adding books, hiring ghostwriters to write, hiring illustrators for children's books, while I wrote like a madman -- in one year I got up to 60 titles and 9 pen names on Amazon.  Once I reached $3,000 a month, I quit my full time job.  In July of 2012 I made $5100 and in August I made $5400.  THEN September happened and my book sales plummeted!  (many people experienced this as well)  Withing 45 days, I went from averaging 200 sales a day to about 10 a day -- ACROSS all 60 books, my November earnings were around $850.  When the crash happened, I made the decision to pull all my books from KDP select and put them on smashwords -- which earned me about $650 for the quarter of October, November, December (2012).  WELL I just got my Apple numbers today for January (up to Feb 2) and it looks like, with Apple alone I made around $650 for February.  Its not the $5,000 I was making in July -- BUT it has promise -- AND it taught me a lesson -- NEVER have all your eggs in one basket!

Oh, and thank God for Fiverr!  When my sales plummeted -- I needed to make $$ to support my family and Fiverr saved my a** with an extra $1,500 per month!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Sorry for the sudden crash.  It must have been really upsetting.  I think many of us are leaving Select.  I just got one out and the other will be out the first week of March.  It works for some...but only worked for me for those first few months when it started up...then I guess they did something to change it.  Still don't know what.

I wish you great success on Smashwords...I'm right behind you and hope to have my two former select items up soon.  :)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
In a year and a half, I have made a grant total of about $120 from Smashwords.  My Amazon money is waaaaay better and way more reliable.  I don't know how people are pulling it off on Smashwords.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dawnchapel said:
What were you doing on fiverr that pulled down an extra 1.5k a month?
I'm curious too. Maybe it's something useful to the rest of us. If you don't want to share, I understand.

I have ordered fiverr gigs for video, typography, filling out forms, etc. , and they weren't bad. The good ones tend to cost more than $5 because you have to order extras.

This actually prompted me to start another thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,141951.0.html

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had the same experience with putting all of my eggs in one basket. So glad I pulled out of Select. It's nice to see my sales almost evenly distributed between iTunes, B&N, and Amazon now.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The key to making money on Fiverr is the upsells/extras. Go in low with a valuable service, then add a bunch of must have extras like express gigs, etc...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think dropping out of Select and distributing through multiple channels has been one of the best things I've done for my little publishing business. A matter of fact, two of my titles rarely sell on Amazon while they do very well on Nook. I think there are a lot of short-term benefits of Select, but I've decided to forgo them to take advantage of other retailers. You just never know what's going to take off and where.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
none of my titles were.  my longest was a historical fiction Novell a at 35,000 words. About 30 of those books are children's books with mostly illustrations. So I'm not as prolific as you think. Also I was hiring ghost riders for about 10 books.my username on Fiverr is bookreviewstew and I'm actually on pace for a 2000 dollar month this month.  forgive the writing in this post, I am speaking it into my android well I am on the road

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In all candor, I've never done KDP Select, and I can honestly say I've never regretted the decision. Amazon is the big fish, but there are other fish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another factor in my decision on pulling out of select was the fact that Greg over at ENt stop allowing us toosubmit the same book to his website.  prior to that Greg had featured many of my books multiple times, which resulted in a lot of sales.and don't worry I donated every time he posted for me. But when he sent out the message that we could no longer post the same book twice, that is my decision to drop out of KTP select

·
Registered
979 Posts
righterman said:
another factor in my decision on pulling out of select was the fact that Greg over at ENt stop allowing us toosubmit the same book to his website. prior to that Greg had featured many of my books multiple times, which resulted in a lot of sales.and don't worry I donated every time he posted for me. But when he sent out the message that we could no longer post the same book twice, that is my decision to drop out of KTP select
The thing I don't like about Select is that success with the program depends too heavily on variables out of my control, like freebie sites. Submitting free books to sites was nerve-wracking and I just couldn't see the long-term benefits of the program for what I'm trying to do. Now that I'm on other retailer sites, it's really nice that I can say, "You've got a nook? No problem, my book is there too."

righterman said:
Also I was hiring ghost riders for about 10 books.
If you don't mind, I have questions about your experience. Did you hire ghostwriters for fiction? What length? How beneficial did you find working with ghostwriters?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my ghost riders for all hired for nonfiction work, typically in the 10 to 15,000 word range. I hire them off of you elance.comand I paid anywhere from 200 dollars to 500 dollars per book.  these books were on relationships, dating, diets, it cetera.some books made me a ton of money and some books have yet to pay for themselves.  Iwhat's really funny is the fact that 2 of the books that I paid the least 4, about 200 dollars each are my best sellers. 1 of these I was cringing as I read it had to go through the whole thing and make adjustments, and it still pains me to read it dash dash but for some reason people love it

·
Registered
11 Posts
jimkukral said:
The key to making money on Fiverr is the upsells/extras. Go in low with a valuable service, then add a bunch of must have extras like express gigs, etc...
I agree. In order to get started and stand out, and depending upon the gig, you may almost have to lose money in order to start getting clients and gather good reviews. This is especially true if you have to factor in the time you spent putting together a gig with value (i.e. research issues and how to solve them).

As an aside, I have simple book promotion gigs here:
http://fiverr.com/easefeeds

They take me a good half hour to complete, not including my initial work putting them together, and the basics are $5. In some cases, I have added tips for things i see the author has neglected or that will add value to the work in the long run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts