Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)

I am kidding, sort of.  I am not officially an owner yet.  I am in ownership limbo while I wait for them to send me my precious.  I have wanted one of these since I first saw them on the Amazon site.  Just when they had them in stock and I was almost ready to make my purchase, Oprah came along and now there is a 2-3 week waiting period.  (not an O fan)

I am looking forward to the December 1-5 delivery day.  I am hoping they can shave a week or two off of that.  I want it.  I wants my precious.

OMG! does the spell checker work?  It said I made no errors!  eeep!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Vampyre, welcome...glad to have you here.

The waiting is the worst. I waited 4 weeks for mine back in April. However, you are among kindred (kindled?) spirits who will help you get through.

A few others have said they were told a 2-3 week wait, but their Kindles showed up quickly, so you may be lucky.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard. I only found this place because of Leslie's siggy on the FAQ thread ;)

I sympathize with the long wait you have but it'll be well worth it once it arrives. Heck, I just bought 3 more books today, not counting the ones the other day...shhhhhhhh, DH doesn't know about them yet :p I was lucky, or unlucky depending on how you look at it...I ordered mine the DAY BEFORE the $100 off was offered if you opened up an Amazon cc. Yep, still kicking myself about that one.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Vampyre!

I am/was so with you on the long wait for Kindle. But, my wait was over on Nov 6th when it FINALLY arrived, just like a new baby that the stork brought. You will fall in Love with reading on it as I have. The first day expect to be turning pages forward and back before you are even ready for it; the hardest part of Kindle I have found out is Holding It. Once you have mastered the Kindle Holding technique, the rest is easy.

Last night I showed hubby the weather from the undergroundweather link on-line (so much nicer than any other weather report) and when he held Kindle, sure enough, there went the pages turning and I had to reload the weather again. Hubby got mad at it but I laughed and told him that HOLDING it was the hardest part about it. I am on my third day and now I don't have that problem except on a rare occasional page turn when I wasn't expecting it.

Hope your arrival for Kindle will get to you sooner than expected. Keep reading the boards in the meantime and you will know how to use it by the time it arrives.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome to the Kindleboards! We will both keep you company and make you want your Kindle even more than you already do!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep - me too  ;)

I have seen Leslie's sig on the Kindle discussions over at Amazon, but I never came over until yesterday.  I tried a couple of other places, but nothing seemed really active, so I kind of gave up and just read my Kindle.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome!  I came over cuz of Leslie too - and I thank her in my head every day

My Kindle has taken over my life, so be prepared to let everything go in yours for quite some time  ;)

Also, as you buy books, check out the recommendations for you from amazon, and also what other people are reading.  I have found such a wide variety of books that in the past I would have never thought of reading, that have become some of my new favorites.  Historical fiction is my new can't get enough of  and it comes with the double bonus of refreshing what I learned when I was in school (but I like it this time).

Hope the wait goes quickly!  :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.  I haven't done much but eat, breath, and read about Kindle since I broke down and ordered mine.  I've even read the pdf of the owners manual on line. 

My sister lives about 6 miles from me.  She is excited for me but she doesn't quite understand what a Kindle is.  Like an idiot, I told her when it comes, I'll bring it over to show her.  I'll open it there and we can watch it boot up and start downloading books....yeah right, like I'll leave the house anytime soon after it gets here.

One of the biggest selling points for me after the coolness factor is I will never have to undergo another agonizing torturous wait for my books to get to my house again.  I truly hate waiting for stuff.  It seems like that's all I ever do.

I also ordered my first accessory with it, the clip on reading light.  I figured it may come in handy.

I am now a big fan of Urban Fantasy and so far all of my favorite authors are "Kindlized"  I love Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, Vicki Pettersson(I am active on Showgirl's board), J Frost(Snowgirl)
and many more.

Thanks to the Amazon discussion, I am well aware of the other sites that offer material for my Kindle reading pleasure.  I am so looking forward to getting started.  Many of my previous Amazon orders have arrived days earlier than projected.  I am hoping this is the case as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chynared21 said:
What is the ETA on it?
!-5 December....or as they say, way too long. This forum is like one big support group. It sure made today go by fast. Only 25 or so more to go...uhg :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to have you here, Vampyre. Just remember, when the UPS/USPS/FedEx guy shows up do try to show some restraint. Attacking the poor guy or gal does not look good for the rest of us.  hehehe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am on a first name basis with most of the delivery people that come a calling.  No matter how badly I have wanted what ever it was they were bringing me, they have all left unmolestered.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I guess I lucked out.  I ordered mine 6 days after Oprah's show and had it delivered in 3 days.  I wonder if the OprahWinfrey code still works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Oprah code only worked through Nov. 1. However, I suspect that next spring when they rerun the episode there will be another week of discount. This is what usually happens with this kind of promotion on her show.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Vampyre, I only had to wait 6 days and that was due to a delivery glitch! BUT, it gave me plenty of time to learn a lot and meet new people here on the boards. Welcome again and have fun!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts