Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 coming for a sit down dinner and only God knows how many for coffee and cake.

My family loves a veg. called cardone  it looks like giant celery it  has to be cleaned boiled  breaded and fried. I only make it once a year.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
All the girls cook and some of the guys. (the guys get to do the mashed potatoes)

Meanwhile, I am in charge of the stirrin of mom's homemade cake icing...I forget how its spelt. Also in charge of rolling the lumpia.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is just me, my husband and youngest son this year as the oldest moved out a couple of months ago. My husband is the cook and he loves to go all out. But we all wait for the pumpkin pie with cool whip! :D Can't live without the pie. He generally has to make two! ;)
Hoping for a nice quiet day to sit and read my Kindle.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This year will be just me and my parents. My mom is cooking. She makes a great corn souffle thing that is a recipe from her aunt.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
tessa said:
I have 10 coming for a sit down dinner and only God knows how many for coffee and cake.

My family loves a veg. called cardone it looks like giant celery it has to be cleaned boiled breaded and fried. I only make it once a year.
I know cardone well, we flour ours instead of bread it...oh is it good. My specialty is raviloi...beef and spinach with pecorino romano.
Also, baby artichokes and sausage. My turkey stuffing is also spinach, pecorino romano, and sausage based. I also do a mean panforte! Ciao

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do most of the cooking though this year we are frying the turkey and I want no part of that. So my husband will be frying it with the supervision of a friend we invited over who is and EMT. (Just in case)

Turkey for me.
Husband loves green bean casserole.  Yuck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
sailor said:
I also do a mean panforte! Ciao
Mmmm... I love panforte! It has to be one of my favorite foods.

It's just the two of us for Thanksgiving. We're going to have tri-tip steak with potatoes and other stuff. He has pumpkin pie and Cool Whip for dessert, I have some mini pecan pies.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm going to my sisters house and she'll probably do most of the cooking.  I will however be making my spiced pumpkin cheesecake which is so darn yummy! 

I love sweet potatoes and a broccoli casserole we usually have, also love green bean casserole.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
We had our T'giving yesterday so my stepsons and families can go to their in-laws on the real day.  Basic turkey stuffing mashed potatos salad vegetables and pumpkin pie and pumpkin pecan pie and cupcakes for the kids.  Everybody brings a dish.  My favorite is a jello salad that my Mom used to make: Foo-foo salad.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
We don't usually have a normal traditional Thanksgiving meal. For the past 2 years the "guys" have grilled steaks for the "gals"!! This year we are having the "guys' favorites."

My dad requested my mom's homemade Chicken and Dumplings (rolled flat and cut into strips) served with Red Gravy (this is a family recipe that is basically a roux made with flour, oil, minced garlic and dried crushed cayenne pepper flakes, thinned with chicken broth... very hot and spicy). He also asked for a Sweet Potato Pie and my neice is taking care of that.

My hubby requested Mexican Casserole (this is the only dish I have to prepare).

My son-in-law is frying a turkey. This is what he wanted and he volunteered to do it, so we gals gave in and are letting him!!  ;)

Youngest grandson requested Broccoli Rice Casserole.

This will definitely be a strange meal, but it is what our guys have asked for and we gals are happy to oblige!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There will be just 5 of us: my parents and my son home from college. My daughter is going to New York City to visit her friend and see the Macy's parade in person!

I'm cooking so we'll have turkey, stuffing, creamed onions, cranberry sauce. My mother will bring the sweet potatoes. Some sort of green vegetable. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Very traditional, very dull. LOL

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I go to my former sis-in-laws house.  My neice and nephews are there with their families.  They have so many places to go that my neice takes me as she goes early, and one nephew brings me home as he comes late.  I get to stay all day and see the comings and goings.  This year I will take along my Kindle as they have all seen it and want to test it out.  We play games in the evening.  I have heard that the kiddos all want me (Aunt Do)  to play because she gets so tickled.

I will take a cranberry dish.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I will have an eight hour travel day spent in airports and in the air in order to reach my Thanksgiving dinner. Thankfully my kindle will travel with me!  My favorite dish (that I prepare myself) is a fresh cranberry and orange relish. I also love to bake and do pretty wonderful pies (although the kitchen usually looks as though it has been hit with a flour bomb afterward)....berry pies are my specialty. I'm not really a punkin sort of girl.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Me doing the cooking as usual. My husband is still in Iraq...he was there last Thanksgiving also :( But he will be home before Christmas :) So it will be just me and my 2 sons, ( and Jazzy the pug). They always want the same thing..turkey, potato salad, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, mac. & cheese, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie and cool whip.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We're going to my parents' house...4 of us and my sister and her family will all be there.  My mom is an awesome cook and will do much of it, but my daughters insist I make my stuffing (cornbread stuffing with almonds and fresh cranberries) and a sweet potato casserole.  I haven't seen everyone for awhile and can't wait to show of my new Kindle!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
We'll be at my dad's, at his request -- mom died this past April -- all 5 of us will be home.  We'll do a turkey on the grill, sweet potatoes, mashed white potatoes, corn pudding, sauerkraut, various desert pies, green been casserole, cranberry sauce or relish, Guiness, other beer, wine, cheese & crackers and chips & dip.  Oh, and gravy.

Not necessarily in that order. :)

Ann

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ann

Sorry about your mother.  Its very hard around the holidays. I lost both my mother and sister within 4 months of each other.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Thanks,

I kinda think that's why Dad wants us home but, all in all we're doing o.k.  She'd been very ill and getting worse for about 3 years so it really was a release.  And we had a big party in her honor.  Sounds weird to say but it was fun.  Hey, we're Irish!

We're pretty sure she was enjoying it too. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My sympathy to both of you. We lost my Dad a few years ago and even though it does get easier with time there is always a void that nothing fills. I always feel his presence though.  :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Ann, sorry to hear about your mother. My mother passed on 2 years ago and it still isn't easy, and my dad passed long ago.

On a Good Note...my sister invited us to go to her house for Thanksgiving...Yipeeeee!!! Of course I graciously accepted, I didn't want
to offend her after her kind invitation. So, no cooking for me! Wonder what she will want me to bring?

She lives in Placerville, Ca and I will have to go to Apple Hill and pick some fresh apples and get some fresh pressed apple cider and....oh,
there is lots to do there, 4-wheeling, and target shooting, and feed the deer and squirrels in her huge backyard, pan for gold.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts