Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kris Rusch wrote a post on her blog that I really empathize with.

She starts by referring to the Popcorn Kitten video below and gives the context of her experiences in beginning indie publishing along side her traditional books, but eventually gets to where the kittens fit in.

The kittens are acting out what goes on in the writer's mind when she first is introduced to indie publishing, and sees all the possibilities. You can now write all those projects you couldn't write before because of the limitations of NY publishing, and it can suddenly be overwhelming. Like a dog distracted by squirrels.

This quote summed up how I'm feeling: "I've had the popcorn kitten problem for a year now, and it's finally starting to ease. It's not abating, not really, and I still get overwhelmed with what I want to do."

Camille

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I read Kris's blog - I'm an addict for her business posts, even when they have nothing to do with me - but since my internet is dial up, I won't be looking at the video. Her other mention of squirrel! gives me the idea just fine, and I know what she means.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's like they put a bunch of kittens in the Octagon, told them to fight to the death, and the kittens tried to kill each other with cuteness.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Besides I love that video.  ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh, right, the actual topic (sorry, the kittens are distracting): like trying to drink from a fire hose, you say? Yes. That. Or sometimes I think of that episode of futurama where bender (a robot) became human, and utterly gorged himself to death within a week; maybe I'll just burn through my Broca's area like a blown fuse. Some mornings I find it hard to sit still.

I don't really have a solution for this, other than getting up every morning and continuing to chip away at the draft. I've made compromises: I'm allowed to get to the other projects when this one is in it's cooling off period, for example. I think that's helping?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Adorable video! And I totally have the while popcorn kitten thing going on in my noggin. What I really need is the ability to go without sleep indefinitely, about 50 hours in a day, and a trust fund to live off while i write.  Since none of that is plausible, I don't know what to do but plug away ;-)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yes, I can totally sympathize. I've already written a novel and a 12,000 word novella this year, am just finishing my sequel to The Devil's Deep, am on the hook to write the last two books of my polygamist thriller series by spring, and have had some conversations with a small publisher about my unpublished (and only partially written) fantasy series. There's also a chance my agent will be shopping The Red Rooster shortly and I'd be looking for a two book deal, so I'd be committed to writing another historical thriller. Fortunately, I've got a great idea for another WWII spy novel, but still, more writing. Oh, and I've got another idea I want to tackle and I don't want to wait a year or two to write it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
MichaelWallace said:
Yes, I can totally sympathize. I've already written a novel and a 12,000 word novella this year, am just finishing my sequel to The Devil's Deep, am on the hook to write the last two books of my polygamist thriller series by spring, and have had some conversations with a small publisher about my unpublished (and only partially written) fantasy series. There's also a chance my agent will be shopping The Red Rooster shortly and I'd be looking for a two book deal, so I'd be committed to writing another historical thriller. Fortunately, I've got a great idea for another WWII spy novel, but still, more writing. Oh, and I've got another idea I want to tackle and I don't want to wait a year or two to write it.
Whew! I don't know how you can keep all that straight. It made me tired for you :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh I thought of something else! I expect to keep getting better at writing novels (as opposed to shorts, or screenplays, or plays, or whatever else I've done), and I expect that I'm still in the steep part of the curve, and will be for the next few books. So it'll get easier, which means I'll have more time, which means more books. (please don't point out the enormous gaping holes in that theory. I know they're there. I choose to ignore them.)

I just realized the steep part of the curve thing might not apply as much if you've been writing novels consistently for 10 years, but, you know, presumably still getting better, so that's something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts