Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1996 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested, I asked Harvey if we could create a new thread for the 7 Day Erotica Challenge. This thread is specifically about the challenge, not about individual authors.

Here's the challenge (as created by Amber Rose [poor Wiz]):

1. Write a story, 5k
2. Create a new pen name
3. Post JUST your new pen name and your book title BEFORE you submit for publishing, to keep it honest and verifiable, then post the URL to the book page
4. Let us all watch you rise the ranks, etc.

I'm willing to put a prize behind this challenge. I'm also wondering if we could add another level to the challenge. It seems that series or bundles work best in Erotica (from what I've read here). What if we release four (4) short stories over a 7 day period and track those sold units, too? Okay. That might be too much.

Any takers?

·
Registered
661 Posts
No thanks, but I'll Paypal $1 to the first one who gets 1-starred because they posted their new pen name.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post my new pen name here. I have created it yet and it will be solely used for this challenge. Heck, if someone wants to leave me a 1 star review, it wouldn't be the first (nor will it be the last) time. So you might as well go ahead and send me that dollar.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm in the process of starting two new erotica pen names. I don't think I would be comfortable sharing either of them here, even if I didn't care about the one star reviews.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would posters be more comfortable if we posted screenshots of their sales dashboard limited to the 7 day reporting period? This would be instead of posting the new pen name.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pen name: Cleo Marshall

Title: Meet Me at 7

Inspired by the postings of Casual Encounters on Craigslist, this will be an African American and interracial series.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we might need to provide some structure around the challenge or there will be too many variables.

Can we limit the stories to 7.5K words (negotiable)? Can we also limit the sales price?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can it be re-explained what participants are hoping to gain from this experiment?

Are we going to be given an insight into the keywords used, or how and why a certain style sub-
genre kink, etc was employed by the author?

Are we going to analyze afterwards, which COVER, BLURB, KEYWORDS and of course CONTENT / KINK, had the best results?

Are we all going to agree to NOT PURCHASE the titles, even if we adore the participant, so results aren't skewed by kboards readers curious about the content of participants rising in the ranks?

Should we ask every participating author create an instafreebie giveaway so anyone who wants to read the content can get the book that way, without again skewing the results?

Is this an experiment still - or just a fun 7 day erotica writing challenge?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
LisaGloria said:
No thanks, but I'll Paypal $1 to the first one who gets 1-starred because they posted their new pen name.
Curious about this... I've been hearing about the 1 star reviews left by readers of this forum on other writer's books. Is that really happening, and why on Earth?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm hoping to gain some knowledge about what's selling best these days, without the advantage of being an already well-known author or being mid-series, or having a longer book. I suppose the point is to make the guidelines as similar as possible (price, length, genre) so we can analyze that. Also, it's fun.

·
Registered
661 Posts
SabrinaLacey said:
Curious about this... I've been hearing about the 1 star reviews left by readers of this forum on other writer's books. Is that really happening, and why on Earth?
It does, and it's a bummer.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think this will be a good challenge to compare experiences with. If there are a slew of 1 star reviews on these works then I think that also supports the experiences that other authors have shared.

We do need to set a price point that we all follow. It won't do if someone has a $.99 title while another has their set at $3.99. We also need to keep word counts controlled. I think what can be played with are covers, blurbs, and keywords.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks Moist Tissue. I've Pm'd you my thoughts about this thread.

I have been in touch with a number of authors who are going to be sending me their results privately, and I can then post them on here.

If you do not want to associate your name with your pen name, this is a good solution. Please PM me, and I will post it here.

Regarding the one star reviews - I wouldn't worry too much. Apparently, ratings are not that important in erotica!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmm... so this isn't as easy as I thought! I'm writing a story, I am 2,000 words, all the bits have gone into all the slots....and now I have run out of things to say........  :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Amber Rose said:
Hmm... so this isn't as easy as I thought! I'm writing a story, I am 2,000 words, all the bits have gone into all the slots....and now I have run out of things to say........ :D
Give them a bit more of a backstory? have the tabs go into different slots? Let them do it again and mix up the slots? So many options :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, I'm game. I've had a story that's developed in my mind through out the day that I think would be appropriate. I see this as a real challenge that will really grow me as a writer, as I've never written erotica before, and haven't read much of it. In a way my story could be a kind of control study, as I'm no where near as knowledgeable with the genre. Which means it might be wildly successful and original (Shhh, I can dream), or terribly unpopular and way off the mark of what the audience wants.

The whole 7 day thing- well it might take me a bit longer, but I'll do my best to meet it. Meeting the 5k shouldn't be an issue. As the story develops in my mind I think their could be a trilogy here, with the first 5k+ installment only partially resolving an overall larger story arch for the protagonist.

New Pen-name: Undecided at this point.

Story Title: I won't know until it's written.

Plot/Theme: It will include f/f and m/f. It will have adultery, and betrayal between characters. It will be a story that includes sexual exploration that makes a character question their identity (in the psychological sense). While another character is forced to confront unresolved love from the past that leads to obsession... Or, as it is that I'm writing it: it may be as Shakespeare put it, "... a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing." We'll see. In any case I'm excited about the challenge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most good erotica that I've read (I've also written two but don't want to publish until the 3rd is finished, and about 50 free stories for fun that are just on the net) has about 2k before the sex even starts. Perhaps more plot and character development. What makes a story sexy isn't just reading about tab A in slot B, that's rather dull. The erotic comes from knowing what the characters are thinking and feeling. There has to be build up tension before the release.

Does she shiver when his hand brushes her cheek, or does she lean into the touch? Does she undress slowly teasing him, is she timid, do her hands shake, or does she rip her clothes off because she is in fever for his touch? Details should help you get to 5k.

Nope writing erotica isn't easy at all, good writers just make it seem effortless. Granted there is a wide range of quality in the genre but I'd be hard-pressed to think of any genre where that isn't the case. All fiction isn't literature after all.
Amber Rose said:
Hmm... so this isn't as easy as I thought! I'm writing a story, I am 2,000 words, all the bits have gone into all the slots....and now I have run out of things to say........ :D

1 - 20 of 1996 Posts