Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - I had posted this thread before and it attracted some interest both here and on the Amazon forums (before the great Author purge of May '11 - something that I'm sure is still fairly ripe in a lot of minds and hearts)

The threads both here and on Amazon led to some great new reads and new author discoveries, as well as reviews, tagging (before it was purged as well), "liking" on Amazon and Facebook, etc., etc.

I was impressed by the willingness of several participants to truly go above and beyond for each other - offering editing suggestions, reviews, and in one case I know about - designing a new cover for a fellow author.

It is this "pay it forward" good karma atmosphere that exists with this board and indie authors in general that makes it a pleasure to participate in all of these discussions.

At one point - on Mother's Day - I had gifted 5 copies of my story to the first five mothers that responded.

I was surprised at the affect that a mere 5 sales had on the Amazon rankings.

What I proposed back then was that the first five 99 cent authors who list their works - I will purchase, read, and review.

Each member who joins the thread after that - purchase the 99 cent works of the 4 members ahead of you on the list - plus mine (since I will keep the list going).

Help our collective rankings with a few sales.

Read and review at your discretion.

EDIT: With the general idea being to do whatever we can do to push each other collectively forward - I will also post about your works on my Facebook author page and send out a message to my Twitter followers as well.

What I will suggest we do differently this time around - if anyone is still interested - is I would like to add a level of accountability by asking each participant to forward me their emails documenting their purchases - so the sales are indeed distributed fairly. I think we ran into a few participants last time around who did not for one reason or another complete their purchases - reducing the benefit for some of their fellow authors on the list.

Only after receipt of the emails will I then add you to the "master list".

Does that seem fair and equitable to everyone??

"Always have two hands reaching out. One, for your next goal. The other, to help people get to where you're at."
--- from J.A. Konrath's blog - A Newbie's Guide to Publishing

Anyone interested?

For anyone that wants to participate but has already purchased my "ratified" master work - just pick another 99 cent work from an indie author of your choice.

***** MASTER LIST OF AUTHORS PARTICIPATING *****

Raymond Birdsell Ratticus: A True Tale from Critter Corner

Bryan R. Dennis An Epitath for Coyote: A Novel

Christian Winter & C.S. Hand Splatterism: The Tragic Recollections of A Minotaur Assailant (Pars Prima: Hellenistic Asskicking)

Mike Lewis Cooper's Creek

Kathleen Valentine Arthur's Story: A Love Story

***** END OF MASTER LIST - UP TO DATE AS OF 06/04/2011 - 11:11am EST *****

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bryan R. Dennis said:
I love the spirit of your idea. Count me in.
Great Bryan & C.S. - I will add you both to the list and purchase both of your books when I get to work (in about an hour).

Thanks for participating!

Raymond

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bryan & C.S.,

Just got to work and purchased both of your books.  I will add you both to the master list - and you both should buy each other's books and mine (so far).  Please email me at ([email protected]) with your purchase receipts - for the aforementioned accountability purposes and I will respond with my own as well.

Thanks for participating - I "liked" both of your works on Amazon as well and look forward to reading them!

Raymond

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tweeted both of your books and added them on my Facebook page as well.

I plan to resurrect my blog within the next few days to a week - and I'll post them there as well.

Have a great weekend everyone!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikelewis said:
Raymond I am in.
I have two shorts up At 99c

I'll use this one

Cooper's creek

Cooper's Creek (Short Story)

Many thanks

Mike
Sounds good Mike - I will add you to the list.

Forward your receipts to [email protected] when you get a chance.

Thanks for participating.

EDIT: I sent out a link to your story on Twitter and Facebook as well. I just purchased your story and I look forward to reading it.

Raymond

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mikelewis said:
Raymond I am in.
I have two shorts up At 99c
Mike,

I meant to tell you - you can list both 99 cent works if you would like - it will simply give others to follow a choice - that's all.

Raymond

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kathleen Valentine said:
Yes, I'll do this! here is mine: Arthur's Story
Kathleen,

Thanks for participating!!

I will add you to the list and please forward me your receipts for your purchases when you get a chance. ([email protected])

I will send out a link to your book on my Facebook page and to my Twitter followers as well, and "like" it on Amazon as well of course.

Raymond

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kathleen Valentine said:
Thanks. I'm supposed to wait until you update the list, right?
Kathleen - for accountability purposes - the way it is supposed to work is for me to identify the four works (plus mine) that you are to purchase - then when I receive your receipts - I would add you to the list.

Because we are still within the first five authors on the list though - it is easy to identify which works to purchase. :D

I will add you to the list now, and thank you for participating.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Erm...Raymond, not wishing to sound like a puritan, but I want readers to buy my books because they like the look of them, read the sample and can't bear not to read on.

I'm not sure this scheme is a good idea. It might give people the idea that the rankings are not a genuine measure of the popularity of a book.

Lexi

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Lexi Revellian said:
Erm...Raymond, not wishing to sound like a puritan, but I want readers to buy my books because they like the look of them, read the sample and can't bear not to read on.
Lexie, I totally disagree. I think this is a good opportunity to try books one might not read otherwise. It is good to expand one's literary horizons.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lexi Revellian said:

I'm not sure this scheme is a good idea. It might give people the idea that the rankings are not a genuine measure of the popularity of a book.

Lexi
Lexi,

You are more than welcome to your own opinion of course. The idea and spirit behind this is to give our fellow indie authors a little boost - liking each other on FB and Amazon, tweeting on Twitter about each other's works, etc., etc. A few sales towards better rankings could propel a book to even higher visibility, allowing more readers to find the authors involved, etc.

Certainly it has fostered a sense of community and camaraderie among some of the participants - if nothing else.

It has also exposed me (as a reader) to a variety of different authors / genres that I would not have necessarily taken a chance on before. I cannot fathom how that can be a negative thing.

Just my virtual 2 cents of course - your mileage may vary.

Raymond

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lexi Revellian said:
Well, you'd have to extend that logic to giveaways too then. This thread, as I interpreted it, was like a grab bag. It's just a fun way to see what others indies have written. You pitch in $5 bucks, you get a sampling of books you might not have tried. And as a bonus, you might become a fan -- or even make a fan who'll buy the rest of your books for the reasons you stated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bryan R. Dennis said:
Well, you'd have to extend that logic to giveaways too then. This thread, as I interpreted it, was like a grab bag. It's just a fun way to see what others indies have written. You pitch in $5 bucks, you get a sampling of books you might not have tried. And as a bonus, you might become a fan -- or even make a fan who'll buy the rest of your books for the reasons you stated.
This is true - as well as the added benefit of joining a group that will tweet about your books, post them of their Facebook pages, "like" you on FB and Amazon, etc., etc.

The whole idea is about pushing each other a little higher together ...

Good karma is like a wheel - what goes around will come back around to you - eventually ... :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kathleen Valentine said:
Raymond, aren't I supposed to buy one more? I thought we were buying five.

I am doing some reading in the ones I bought and it is fun -- I'll Tweet, like, Facebook, etc. them as I have something to sy about them.
Kathleen,

As soon as one more author joins us - you will have one more to purchase. Purchased and downloaded yours - tweeted and listed it on my FB page. Adding to my TBR soon pile. :D

Raymond

1 - 20 of 29 Posts