Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hesitant about ordering the black leather cover from Amazon for the Kindle 2. After all, the cover for the Kindle 1 was cheap, unattractive, and poorly designed. For the Kindle 2, I didn't want to pay $29.99 for another product of the same inferior quality. However, my Kindle 2 cover arrived yesterday with my new Kindle and I have to say, I am very impressed with this new version.

Let's start at the beginning. The cover comes packed in its own box, labeled "cover." You can order the cover in any color you want, as long as its black. The black leather is soft and lightly textured and has a nice subtle leather smell. The Amazon Kindle logo is small and unobtrusive although those who object to "logowear" probably won't like it.

The cover in the box.

The inside lining is a smooth fabric. I'm not sure if it's suede or some sort of moleskin although my guess is the latter. The color is a very dark charcoal. The cover is padded, front and back. The cover weighs 6.25 ounces (empty) and 16.75 ounces with the Kindle inserted. It is 20 mm thick with the Kindle inside - that's about 3/4 to 7/8 inch (less than 1 inch).

The cover uses an innovative hinge system to secure the Kindle and it is light years ahead of its predecessor. Clearly, Amazon listened to customer complaints of the Kindle falling out its cover or the back falling off. With this new cover, there is no way that the Kindle will fall out, once it is locked into place. Here's a picture of how much "hang" it has when holding it suspended in the air.

The cover has a maximum "hang" of about 2 inches when suspended in the air.

There are two hinges: the bottom one is a curved "hook" and the top one is an insertable slider. To attach the cover, first angle the Kindle on the hook, then slide it to be straight up, press against the slider and apply gentle pressure until it clicks into place. To remove, slide the hinge to disengage, pull the Kindle sideways, then slide off the hook. It couldn't be simpler. This photo shows the plastic sheet with instructions that came inside the cover. At first glance it looked confusing but once I "clicked" it once, it was a cinch. The design is simple, elegant, and intuitive. Good job, Amazon!

The instructions that come with the cover for how to use the hinges. This picture also shows the charcoal gray interior.

The cover folds completely back for those who like to read holding it that way. When sitting on a table, the cover and Kindle are also flat; again, this is a difference from the Kindle 1 which was wedge-shaped and thus was always sitting at an angle, no matter which cover you were using.

The cover does not have a strap or loop to secure it closed. That might be a drawback for some but I don't really see it as a problem. And, like its predecessor, there is no pocket in the front, which may be a pro or con, depending on your point of view. Personally, I like the smooth feel and a pocket would have been an interruption. Some might disagree with me.

All in all, I am glad I bought this cover. I debated more than once about cancelling my order but knew I had to have something to protect my Kindle 2 until my Oberon "Roof of Heaven" (on order) cover arrived. While I haven't cancelled my Oberon order-yet-I am debating. That's how much I like this new Amazon cover. It is attractive, light, intelligently designed and provides secure protection for my Kindle. If only it came in a color other than black!

My grade: A

Amazon Kindle 2 Leather Cover

available from Amazon for $29.99

·
Registered
261 Posts
Leslie -- great review. I also bought this case and I love it. I agree with all of your points on the pros of this case and would love color options. The black is fine but reminds me too much of a business portfolio. I will wait to see whether Oberon comes out with cases that have the hinge system and how those cases compare in size/weight to this one, but I am liking this case so much that it could end up being my only one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great review Leslie!  I agree with all points...I love my Amazon case and am glad I flipped it over to that one versus what we had originally ordered.

Hopefully Amazon will be nice enough to share the clip tech with potential case makers.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chad Winters said:
Does the lack of a closure item (like the old strap or a clasp) seem to matter?
Personally, I don't think so, but some might want it for extra security.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harmakhet said:
Great review Leslie! I agree with all points...I love my Amazon case and am glad I flipped it over to that one versus what we had originally ordered.

Hopefully Amazon will be nice enough to share the clip tech with potential case makers.
I hope so! Hinges in an Oberon cover would be...perfection.

L

·
Registered
180 Posts
Leslie said:
I hope so! Hinges in an Oberon cover would be...perfection.

L
I hope so. They would sell so many more if they implement this. Oberon & hinges for a clean look instead of velcro sounds to good to be true!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You convinced me L. I have been looking around at covers, and after seeing your review, it was an easy choice. Ill post a review when I receive mine  :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree with Leslie on most of this.  Two drawbacks to me are the lack of a way to hold it shut, a tab or loop would have been nice.  The second is that is is only attached at the hinges, if you hold it over head to read in bed then it floats free of the back of the case so you have the case and a gap between it and the Kindle.  If it came in other colors I might buy another one, as it is I'll wait until I can get something other then black.  Over all a much better case then the one that came with the first Kindle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I agree with Leslie on most of this. Two drawbacks to me are the lack of a way to hold it shut, a tab or loop would have been nice. The second is that is is only attached at the hinges, if you hold it over head to read in bed then it floats free of the back of the case so you have the case and a gap between it and the Kindle. If it came in other colors I might buy another one, as it is I'll wait until I can get something other then black. Over all a much better case then the one that came with the first Kindle.
I don't have a K2 or the cover...but perhaps a small piece of velcro could work to allow you to lay back and read without the device swinging down?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cammie said:
I don't have a K2 or the cover...but perhaps a small piece of velcro could work to allow you to lay back and read without the device swinging down?
Yes the Velcro will fix it, but that goes back to the original cover with the Velcro fix. I so wanted not to have to clutter my K2 up with Velcro. :(

·
Registered
723 Posts
Leslie said:
It is 20 mm thick with the Kindle inside - that's about 1 7/8 inches.
Leslie
Think you have a typo here.
When I measure the cover with K2 enclosed I get it to be almost exactly 3/4 of an inch. You have added an extra inch in there.

Me,
(Eric)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I vaguely recall the hinge system of the Amazon Kindle2 Cover saying it was Patent Pending.  I doubt Amazon is going to "share" it with Oberon or others without a large amount of money changing hands.

My Kindle2 and cover are supposed to be here today (fingers crossed).  I had already decided to use a little bit of velcro when I saw Leslies pictures of how the cover fit with the Kindle2.  It will be hidden and then the cover won't pull away from the Kindle2. 

I found an unused teal green wide elastic dog collar to use around the cover for extra closure when I am out and about.  It should look good.  Someone in another posting on the Amazon site, mentioned a Levinger Book Bungee.  Very nice wide pieces of colored elastic that could be used to hold the cover closed.  Would have been nice for Amazon to have enclosed the elastic with the cover.
Back to waiting for the UPS Truck.
luvshihtzu

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ELDogStar said:
Leslie
Think you have a typo here.
When I measure the cover with K2 enclosed I get it to be almost exactly 3/4 of an inch. You have added an extra inch in there.

Me,
(Eric)
You are absolutely right. Thank you! I've made the correction in the original.

L

·
Registered
142 Posts
Even after all these posts, it still took me a few minutes before I figured out that the top hook in the cover slides up and down to secure/free the K2.  Guess that's why I'm not an engineer. ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Trekker said:
That's how I do 90% of my reading and I don't have that problem. The only way I can see that happening is if you hold just the back cover itself and not the kindle. You could always add a piece of Velcro to it if you're having trouble, (which was absolutely necessary with the K1's cover.)

I fold the cover all the way back and then grip the kindle with my fingers behind the back cover and my thumbs over the front, so that I can easily hit the page turning buttons.
I fold the cover all the way back and hold it with just my left hand on the cover edge and move my thumb up to the button to change pages. :) We all have our favorite ways to hold our Kindles I'm sure.

I hated the first cover because I had to use Velcro and I hope never to have to put Velcro on K2. I'll live with it until some of the other covers come out in a better color too. :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just purchased this cover this morning and I selected one day delivery. I had ordered, cancelled, re-order and cancelled again onthe Feb 9th. I ordered an M-Edge cover but wont get that until next week some time.

I ordered this cover a) based upon Leslie's glowing review b) my daughter is getting KiKi today and will be going back to Chicago on Monday and I do not want her taking her back nekkid c) Amazon's wonderful return policy if i dont like it I can send it back with 30 days.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I received my K2 on Wed. And also the Jacket.
I was very pleasantly surprised.  I agree with Leslie's reveiw.
However I do not have ANY problems with the Jacket, including the "hanging".
I just don't use it that way.
So it is near perfect.  And I must say that the key factor is the "hinge".
The new M-edge Jacket is supposed to have the new hinge and one would hope that some time in the future that Oberon would too.  Their Jackets are so attractive.
I am also pleased with the padding of the standard Jacket.  It should keep the K2 safe.
I intend to put a screen shield on - just because.
Do any of you have experiences with scratching on the screen?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts