Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Q: How do I put custom screensavers on my Kindle?

A: Follow these steps:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.

2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)

3. Create a new folder called "pictures" and a subfolder called "screensavers" under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.

4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white, and in either .jpg or .png format.

5. After copying is complete and it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.

6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called "screensavers" . Open it. You'll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the previous page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]

7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator and Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.

8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero). After a brief delay, you'll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.

9. Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.

10. When you've got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into and out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep and wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Q: How do I remove custom screensavers from my Kindle?

A: This is a little trickier than adding them in the first place.

When you create custom screensavers in the pictures folder and the screensavers subfolder within the pictures folder, the Kindle secretly creates ANOTHER folder "screen_saver" in the Kindle's system folder, which is normally hidden to view. In this folder are copies of the custom files you added, renamed in the order you selected them: "screen_saver_0.gz", "screen_saver_1.gz". Any pictures for which you do not press alt-shift-0 on are not here, even if they are in the "screensavers" folder you created. There is also an additional file called "screen_saver_last" which keeps track of the last screensaver displayed (this file only contains a single integer 0, 1, etc...)

To go back to the built-in original screensavers, you delete the whole secret folder in the system folder: "screen_saver". You DO NOT have to remove the pictures & screensavers folders that YOU added. Note that in order to see and delete this folder, you will need to go to Control Panel --> Folders and click the option on the View tab to "show hidden files." Do this FIRST before hooking up your Kindle to delete the screen_saver folder.

You can keep the pictures and screensavers folders in the Screensavers book that was created, just for browsing or for adding a different screensaver from your collection at a later date.

May I add the caveat: if you are not comfortable with navigating using windows explorer and creating folders and subfolders, you might want to get someone to help you with adding and/or deleting custom screensavers. People have reported problems with their Kindles freezing up and so on when they have tried to add and delete screensavers. Just a word of warning.

Thanks to Betsy the Quilter for her research to answer this question, and writing it up. L

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.